Best Winter Advice

All CUPRA Born related discussions
TaylorT2

Post by TaylorT2 »

Hi all,

I know there's a bit of info on this scattered around but just wanted to make a new post to collect some fresh opinions.

In The Winter, what do you set the heating to? Any tips on how to improve range?

Also, what's the worst case scenario range I could be looking at in The 58kwh. I don't want to charge it to 80% and have an 80 mile range as I was saw someone have on this forum.

Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

I have a 77kw vehicle so can’t comment on the 80mile range but that seems very low tbh.

I’ve been a little disappointed in the range in this cold snap, but in truth it ain’t so bad, the worst thing has been intelligent octopus not charging the car to the expected 80%, easy fixed, on very cold nights set the car to charge to 90% and you’ll get the 80% you wanted.

If your leaving the house at 08:00-08:30 then set charge to end at 05:30 (assuming your on octopus IGO) then set boost for 30mins before you leave and set heating to 18c and seats to max.

Car clear, nice and warm, set off turn heating down to 16c and seats to min, job done.
Dalgal

Post by Dalgal »

Honestly, I haven’t noticed a major difference in the range. Maybe I’m using a couple of % more on my journeys, say normally it’d use 8-10% to get to work and now it’s around 10-12%. I was down to 50% yesterday and it was saying 100 miles. Ave consumption is hovering around 3-3.2
I’ve got the pre heat set but I turn it right down to level 1 for blowers and wheel once I set off. The pre heat uses maybe 2% battery.
Only thing I noticed was on the really cold nights it only charged to 79 not 80%.
Truthfully, at 7.5p for the electric I’m not giving it that much thought. Our other car costs over £100 to fill up with diesel so the born feels almost free to run!
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

I don't set heating any different in winter than summer, 21-23 deg C, it's been -16 here recently and I pre-heat the cabin for 10 mins, so no need to use heated seats or wheel as it's nice and warm when you jump in. When it's cold but not extreme, I usually set the cabin heat on for 3-4 mins before and it's plenty (that app suggests 30 mins!)

Done plenty trips in the best case to worst case scenario.

Worst case would obviously be as cold as possible, heavy car, heating high, seat and wheel on etc etc and driving on a motorway at 70mph with zero chance of regen. It takes a bit of time to get your head around how an EV consumption various, in that it is opposite of a ICE car, long motorway trips are worse than city trips!

Use this to calculate range. This is very accurate, uses simple maths, the only thing is the consumption value is a guess until you test your own car and see what you get.

https://www.homechargingstations.com/el ... alculator/

Worst case would be usable charge of 80% to 20% assuming you don't want to be below 20% when you are searching for a charger, or when you reach home.
58kw battery
Consumption maybe 2.1 miles per kwh?? That's 49kwh per 100 miles so for 80% to 20% charge, would be 72 mile range. 100% to 0% would be 118 mile range.

Sorry, you asked for doomsday scenario, I don't want it to worry you! Remember my consumption estimates are a bit of a guess.
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
WoT

Post by WoT »

I have a 230 mile round trip every month or so. In winter i wear warm gear and use heating only on the screen and footwell. Seat heater and steering wheel on minimum heat. You can't wear gloves because of the infotainment. And i still need to charge about 50% or 60% on the way home.
58kwh v2 Dec 22
WoT

Post by WoT »

I should have added: i set the cabin to 18.5c and it was ok. At one point i lost patience and set 20c but it immediately triggered an additional charging stop so i went back to 18.5c. In sum: if you need more than 150 miles in winter even with 100% at the start, your best option is to plan a charging stop.
58kwh v2 Dec 22
phope

Post by phope »

WoT wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:00 pm I have a 230 mile round trip every month or so. In winter i wear warm gear and use heating only on the screen and footwell. Seat heater and steering wheel on minimum heat. You can't wear gloves because of the infotainment. And i still need to charge about 50% or 60% on the way home.
Touch sensitive gloves work perfectly on phones, tablets and in car infotainment screens :idea:

Plenty around and cheap too - https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/magic ... Y4Cj4cN2cs
Cupra Born | V2 | 77kWh E-Boost | Geyser Silver | North East Scotland
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

This will probably sound a bit off the wall but I rarely use the heating at all. When I researched EVs with my first ID3 I decided that I would just wear a coat and expect the cabin to be cooler. Even last week on zero degree days my heating was off most of the time but the cabin temperature was probably 7C or 8C. The only time I run the Climate is to demist the screen or when I have my youngest Grandchild in the car. I don't use AC cooling in the Summer because I don't like the dry air so my Winter Summer kW/mile is fairly close.
It's not to be mean. At 7.5p/kW overnight It's neither here nor there on a 30 minute drive. It's efficiency I guess but have to say myself It's a bit of an odd thing to do. A 2 litre petrol ICE wastes around 100kW of heat because the combustion process is so inefficient and the cabin can be as hot as you like on the coldest of days with the only cost being the planet. I think of that when I reach for the heater control on the EV but am too stubborn to give any of the efficiency I'm getting up to be as warm as an ICE when I can simply wear a coat.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

Daveion wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:42 pm This will probably sound a bit off the wall but I rarely use the heating at all. When I researched EVs with my first ID3 I decided that I would just wear a coat and expect the cabin to be cooler. Even last week on zero degree days my heating was off most of the time but the cabin temperature was probably 7C or 8C. The only time I run the Climate is to demist the screen or when I have my youngest Grandchild in the car. I don't use AC cooling in the Summer because I don't like the dry air so my Winter Summer kW/mile is fairly close.
It's not to be mean. At 7.5p/kW overnight It's neither here nor there on a 30 minute drive. It's efficiency I guess but have to say myself It's a bit of an odd thing to do. A 2 litre petrol ICE wastes around 100kW of heat because the combustion process is so inefficient and the cabin can be as hot as you like on the coldest of days with the only cost being the planet. I think of that when I reach for the heater control on the EV but am too stubborn to give any of the efficiency I'm getting up to be as warm as an ICE when I can simply wear a coat.
Taylor will definitely cancel and get a Golf after reading our feedback!
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
headwrong

Post by headwrong »

I drive and operate my Born just as I did with any petrol/diesel car I've owned in the past. I have the temperature set to 19° all year round. If I'm a bit cold, I put the seat heating on. The steering wheel heating often comes on itself and I like it, it feels nice on my delicate hands.

When the battery starts to get low, I charge it up. At 80% charge, even in winter, my range is about 150–160 miles — and I have a very heavy right foot. If I was regularly in the situation where going somewhere and back home again was more than 150 miles then I wouldn't have bought the Born.

Just try and think for yourself whether the Born is right for you.