Ceramic Coating?

All CUPRA Born related discussions
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

The dealer has offered me interior stain protection and exterior ceramic coating for an eye watering 499 quid :o

Considering I've not gone for any extras, I was thinking about this as to keep the car looking new - if not, maybe from a third party.

She also stated this would apply to the interior by some sort of anti-stain coating :shock:

Has anyone had experience with Stock/Dealer/Cupra offered Ceramic Coating?

phope

Post by phope »

Avoid avoid avoid these packages (Lifeshine, Gard-X and similar) from the dealerships
They are heavily pushed, as they are very profitable.

I can absolutely say with confidence that...

The cost to you is £499 including VAT
That is approx £416 net and £83 VAT
The cost to them of the materials used is no more than £40-£60 (I'm being generous!), and perhaps 1 hour labour for their minimum wage valeter to "expertly" apply
Deduct the materials and labour from the cost price leaves them a nice gross profit margin of over £300, with a fair chunk of that paid as a commission to the salesperson too.

Best finding an independent detailer in your area that can tailor packages to your needs and can show you prior examples of their work.
Cupra Born | V2 | 77kWh E-Boost | Geyser Silver | North East Scotland
Pugboy

Post by Pugboy »

I saw an autobrite advert earlier today with a 12 months shine/water beading for £99.
I think if you are really after something like this £300 will cover it.
I have 3 kids and 2 small dogs and the interior of my car wipes down just fine. The seats in particular are great and easy to keep clean. The only issue I have had is strangely the floor mats. The fake leather kind of strip on them I couldn't get the mud out of even using autoglym upholstery cleaner - bizarre!
Born V2 58 E-Boost
1989 Fiat Ducato Motorhome
2012 Fiesta Econetic Titanium
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

phope wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:37 pm Avoid avoid avoid these packages (Lifeshine, Gard-X and similar) from the dealerships
They are heavily pushed, as they are very profitable.

I can absolutely say with confidence that...

The cost to you is £499 including VAT
That is approx £416 net and £83 VAT
The cost to them of the materials used is no more than £40-£60 (I'm being generous!), and perhaps 1 hour labour for their minimum wage valeter to "expertly" apply
Deduct the materials and labour from the cost price leaves them a nice gross profit margin of over £300, with a fair chunk of that paid as a commission to the salesperson too.

Best finding an independent detailer in your area that can tailor packages to your needs and can show you prior examples of their work.
Pugboy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:00 pm I saw an autobrite advert earlier today with a 12 months shine/water beading for £99.
I think if you are really after something like this £300 will cover it.
I have 3 kids and 2 small dogs and the interior of my car wipes down just fine. The seats in particular are great and easy to keep clean. The only issue I have had is strangely the floor mats. The fake leather kind of strip on them I couldn't get the mud out of even using autoglym upholstery cleaner - bizarre!
Thanks both, I'll check out some third-party options - the 499 did seem like they'd have my pants down.

Where I live is practically a dirt road so cleaning the car myself isn't ideal for it get caked in filth again.
SabreDentist

Post by SabreDentist »

Ceramic coating has its place, but never buy it from a dealer. Very few dealers know how to apply ceramic coatings properly and/or bother to take the time to do so correctly. They are just out to make easy cash and the car brands they represent do not appropriately constrain their dealers from providing terrible services in that domain.

Same is true for upholstery treatments.

Better to engage a third party detailer and request the dealer to leave the paintwork alone before you take delivery!
Ben88

Post by Ben88 »

RedPanda wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:18 pm The dealer has offered me interior stain protection and exterior ceramic coating for an eye watering 499 quid :o

Considering I've not gone for any extras, I was thinking about this as to keep the car looking new - if not, maybe from a third party.

She also stated this would apply to the interior by some sort of anti-stain coating :shock:

Bilt hamber do a hydrophobic coating called touch-on and you buy a box of 10 for about £13
I use their product called touchless which you use in a foam lance, spray on the car when your car is dry then clean with auto-wash then apply touch-on it lasts for about a month you can apply with a foam lance of with a noodle mitt.
I recommend bilt hamber products highly.
Gyeon is another brand that is good.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Ben88 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:57 pm
RedPanda wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:18 pm The dealer has offered me interior stain protection and exterior ceramic coating for an eye watering 499 quid :o

Bilt hamber do a hydrophobic coating called touch-on and you buy a box of 10 for about £13
I use their product called touchless which you use in a foam lance, spray on the car when your car is dry then clean with auto-wash then apply touch-on it lasts for about a month you can apply with a foam lance of with a noodle mitt.
I recommend bilt hamber products highly.
Gyeon is another brand that is good.
To be fair mate my house isn't really in an ideal spot for car washing - it's situated on a dirt road so It'd be a wasted effort, hence why I was looking to spend the money for something long term.
JurassicBorn

Post by JurassicBorn »

I paid a professional detailer who I know £400 to prep my new Boxster GTS 4.0 with a 5 year GTech product.
I wished I had saved my money and that was mates rates!
CC IMHO is a total waste of time, yes it helps any dirt wash off but that's it. It doesn't protect from scratches or swirls or stone chips and I didn't really think it enhanced the shine over a good Carnuba Wax which effectively does the same job, you just need to apply it monthly.
I had him take off the front CC and PPF it which is a superb product but cost £1400.
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh
2023 Porsche Boxster GTS 4.0
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

I don't think the Gard-X is a real ceramic coating, just a "protective" coating. I've done a proper Gyeon Synchro coating on my previous 2 cars, but that's a 3-4 day cleaning, decontaminating, polishing and coating job. It is great once it's done and lasts for about 3 years. It makes huge difference if you're washing the car yourself.
I haven't done the Born yet, but I use Gyeon Wet Coat when I clean it - spray on, hose off. Works for about 3 months.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

A proper ceramic coating is very expensive. I've asked several detailers here in Lisbon about it, including a friend, and you're looking at at least €600. Part of the cost is that before it's applied the paintwork has to be absolutely perfect and perfectly clean, so there's quite a bit of prep work.
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.