Born 77kw maximum speed

All CUPRA Born related discussions
acofranc

Post by acofranc »

Hey there! New to the Cupra world.

I must say I'm enjoying my Born very much but it has some odd features and one that is bothering me is the maximum speed. Sometimes it is 162-163km/h and sometimes it is 170km/h. I thought it has something to do with the driver profile chosen but it does not. Does anyone know how this works? Why do I sometimes get 170km/h max speed od the speedometer but most of the time it is 162-163km/h?

I'll be glad if someone can share his experience with this.

Regards,
Aco

Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

The maximum speed (on a flat surface with no wind) is determined by the gear ratio x max RPM - and the official top speed is 160km/h, but this can vary depending on tire pressure.

If you're going over 170km/h, then you're either driving down a slope and/or there's a tailwind.

fwiw I also believe the tacho is 3km/h higher than the actual speed.

Here's more info about the Born's max speed:

viewtopic.php?p=747#p747
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

Elea4 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:36 pm fwiw I also believe the tacho is 3km/h higher than the actual speed.
That is what I’ve measured on my Born too, at a number of different speeds. The speed displayed in the dash is always 3km/h more than the actual speed measured using GPS.
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.
JBorn

Post by JBorn »

Have you ever tried this? Living in the UK there's not many chances to attempt to exceed the 99mph (159.3km/h) speed regulator.

Screenshot_20231204_180823_Drive.jpg

I'm unsure if they're referring to driver assistance feature speed limiter- or the top speed regulator.

Would be useful to know if I ever have to escape a road rager though 😄

It stops at about 104mph (167.4km/h) on the speedo with traction control on normal settings. Not that I've ever done that, because it would be illegal in the UK, and an instant ban 😇

It's always been consistent for me regardless of wind speed (In theory... not that I've ever exceeded the speed limit!). I think it's electronically limited, I've read elsewhere that it's the maximum RPM for the motor - 16,000rpm