Would you have another Born?

All CUPRA Born related discussions
daern

Post by daern »

Yes, I would, but I would want (expect) a couple of things to be different:

1) The computer hardware running the main infotainment needs to be significantly more powerful and the software needs an overhaul to keep it current and improve the nasty, laggy performance. That said, I mostly use it with Android Auto, so this bypasses much of this experience.
2) Dual motor, 4 wheel drive, 400bhp please, VAG :)

Otherwise, our experience has been pretty good to date, with no major issues. My wife adores driving the car and she has already said that she'd have another tomorrow if she had to change. The car also works excellently with my home automation (well it does now, since someone helpfully added support for the Cupra Born ;) ) and this experience has shown me that this capability is *mandatory* for EVs, and I won't entertain buying one that isn't well supported in HA in the future. (Mazda, are you listening?)

The only other thing that I would say from my first 18 months as an EV owner is that my opinion of the car would be *very* different were I not fortunate enough to own my own home and have a driveway and charger that I can plug into at night. Without this, I think I would be much more reticent to buy any pure EV.

All being said, I'll probably have a different make car next time anyway, just for a change. Before we ordered the Born, we test drove a load of EVs but didn't really know what we were looking for. Now we've owned one for a bit, we'll have a much better frame of reference for the next one, which I'm sure will drive us to different options.

daern

Post by daern »

SabreDentist wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:45 pm ...and once you get proficient at using it, you can adjust things very quickly.
There is absolutely nothing quick about the MEB infotainment platform ;)
Pugboy

Post by Pugboy »

Reasonably happy with my Born. However I've got it on salary sacrifice. I wouldn't buy one with my own money.

If I had your Golf I'd just stick with it to be honest. I'm struggling to think of a better all-rounder and not a fan of the latest Golf which looks naff and has the silly infotainment system.
Born V2 58 E-Boost
1989 Fiat Ducato Motorhome
2012 Fiesta Econetic Titanium
smbmetal

Post by smbmetal »

Again, really appreciate everyone's thoughts.

From all my research, reading of forums and watching many many videos the EV world still appears in it's infancy. IMO manufacturers seem to have rushed cars out and the general public appear to be the testers for them! Isn't there a face-lifted born due next year already?

@pugboy you are right in the sense that for me, my Golf is the nearest I've had to a perfect car and I certainly don't like the new one .

The Born or ID3 (horrible interior IMO) appears to be the natural successor if I want to go EV. Tesla do appear to have the charging network nailed though to be fair.

I can't afford a brand-new car especially an EV with how expensive they are and have always bought second hand. Perhaps I'll wait for the ID2 GTI :)
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

I think it's a great car to drive.

Yes the software can be a bit glitch but nothing that interferes with the driving enjoyment. Software seems to work better if you use Carplay.
Cupra Born V2 E Boost. Aurora Blue
daern

Post by daern »

smbmetal wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:40 pm Tesla do appear to have the charging network nailed though to be fair.
It's worth noting that, depending on your use-case, this might be almost immaterial. We've had our Born for 18 months now and in that time, it's been charged in anger (i.e. because we needed to, not just because it's free!) on perhaps 3 occasions in that time. We rarely use this car beyond its stated range, so it's almost entirely been home-charged.

Obviously, lots of people use their cars differently, so this may not apply to you, but it's important to be realistic about your usage when choosing a new car.
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

I'd be happy to buy another Born. Had mine since March 2023, 18.000kms and very happy with it. No issues at all. There are minor niggles with the software, but they really don't bother me. I think people are making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill about the software tbh.

Also, unlike a lot of people here, I actually love the lane assist and front assist and have had no issues with them at all.

Right now in Portugal a Tesla Model 3 is cheaper than a reasonably specced Born, even a Model Y RWD is about the same price so it would be a tough call.
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.
ECBornUser

Post by ECBornUser »

Really love the EV drive. Currently back in a diesel auto whilst battery recall done and missing the electric. If the software update helps the infotainment it will make me much happier. Economy also much better than friends Merc electric.

All new cars including the hire I have seem to have gone in a bad direction vs touchscreens. I Like none of them but VW seems to be a bad design that hopefully may be fixed through software
Dalgal

Post by Dalgal »

I’d definitely have another! I’ve had mine since august - bought used with 5000 miles and I’ve had very few issues. It’s my first full EV and the charging has been easy save the odd teething problem with apps. Yes the whole infotainment system is faffy but to be honest every car we’ve had has been pain for that. Our other car is a 2023 Defender and that’s really glitchy too. Completely loses Apple car play on the regular. Previous car was a Volvo XC60, also a nightmare for software glitches.
I love how it looks, it drives great too so yes, I’ll most likely get another in a couple of years.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I'll add to the positives. My V2 Born follows on from 2 previous ID3s. It's a great drive and good looking car. Niggles with the Infotainment screen and software are far outweighed by the overall quality of the car and it's performance.
Yes, would definitely have another.
Next year sees a number of new EVs like the 50kw Mini EV and Ford Puma EV??
These may tempt me especially the Ford as I I'm a Ford pensioner and may get a good Privelege deal on one. Money talks.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE