Windscreen doesn't demist fully

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Tyrellcorp71

Post by Tyrellcorp71 »

I've had the born for 6 months and anytime the temp drops the aircon/heating doesn't fully defog the windscreen. There's always a light film of condensation visible. It means it's difficult to see out at night when oncoming traffic lights hit the screen.

Has anyone else had this problem as I've tried everything ?. It's going to the garage next week but have had nothing but bad experiences with them so far .

TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

Mines the same. I’ve found wiping it with a microfibre cloth after it’s demisted the worst of it works for a couple of days and then I have to do it again!
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

I frequently wipe the windscreen with "Invisible glass" and that keeps it clear. I have a couple of pad-on-a-stick things that mean I can get right into the corners with a wet cloth, then wipe it off with a dry cloth and a microfibre cloth laid over the pad. It takes a bit of work to get it all clear but it lasts a long time once completed.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
Tyrellcorp71

Post by Tyrellcorp71 »

I've never had to demist a car windscreen manually, surely there must be a problem. I'll post what the garage say as maybe it's a fault with some vehicles.
SabreDentist

Post by SabreDentist »

For those of you experiencing this issue are you absolutely sure that you have the air conditioning compressor switched on and operating? The Born is confusing in that the climate control master switch on the upper left of the climate menu is labelled "air conditioning". Logically if it is switched on, you might think your A/C compressor is running. However, this is not sufficient to turn the a/c compressor on. You also have to press the separate switch on the lower right in the climate menu labelled A/C so that it turns orange. I think this is a real design issue, perhaps emanating from poor translation into English. Very easy to miss.

If you do in fact have the A/C compressor on, and having demist issues then there is obviously a fault ...
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

SabreDentist wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:35 pm For those of you experiencing this issue are you absolutely sure that you have the air conditioning compressor switched on and operating? The Born is confusing in that the climate control master switch on the upper left of the climate menu is labelled "air conditioning". Logically if it is switched on, you might think your A/C compressor is running. However, this is not sufficient to turn the a/c compressor on. You also have to press the separate switch on the lower right in the climate menu labelled A/C so that it turns orange. I think this is a real design issue, perhaps emanating from poor translation into English. Very easy to miss.

If you do in fact have the A/C compressor on, and having demist issues then there is obviously a fault ...
Yeah it’s definitely switched on. It’s not just this car, I’ve had similar problems with VAG cars before. The climate control is just a bit crap. On other cars I’ve had the climate control can detect moisture and automatically attempts to defog the windscreen at full blast.

I’ve had 4 VAG cars now and they all suffer this problem. The best car I had for this was a Suzuki swift sport. As soon as the windscreen would start to fog the air conditioning would automatically blast the heck out of the windscreen.
s3akr

Post by s3akr »

Mine mists up if I have the aircon set to off on the 'CLIMA' option so I just leave it on all the time. Probably not optimal for efficiency!
2022 Born V3 77KW - Aurora Blue, Beats, DCC, Heat Pump, Cargo Pack, 20" Blizzard Copper Wheels, Tech Pack M, Aurora Blue Seats
2021 Macan GTS (too many options)
2012 Cayman R (the right options)
1998 Boxster 2.5 (full poverty spec + 15 bad owners)
Tyrellcorp71

Post by Tyrellcorp71 »

I have had the aircon on ans and it made no difference. Took the car to Cupra today and they said there is nothing wrong with the aircon!

I've bought some invisible glass spray as per a previous reply. I'll let you know if this solves the problem.

Why can't they have heated front windscreens like some Fords used to!!
JBorn

Post by JBorn »

Mine had the same problem during the recent cold weather. I took it in to the dealership for a service last week and asked them to look and see if the aircon needs regassing.

Apparently it's a "Born-wide issue" and "isn't something they can fix"

Basically they know the air-con is rubbish and they can't do anything about it and they know it. Or maybe the garage is just making it up, I don't know!

The inside glass had never been cleaned so I gave it a wipe with a sligtly damp microfibre cloth with a tiny amount of dish soap / washing up liquid, wiping top to bottom, did the whole windscreen side to side, then did all round the edge, then finished off with a clean microfibre cloth with no soap, slightly damp. Since doing that had no issues with misting up. I did all the rest of the windows inside whilst I was at it.

Let me know if that does it for you as well... as a short term fix you can turn on the actual windscreen demist option next to your lights... not being condescending, presuming you meant during normal driving with settings on normal. It was happening to me 100+ miles into a journey so not just a startup thing.
s3akr

Post by s3akr »

Tyrellcorp71 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:03 pm ........Why can't they have heated front windscreens like some Fords used to!!
I think the patent is theirs and others don't want to give Ford a royalty!

We used to have a 2003 Mini Cooper S and that had the same tech heated screen as a Ford - it is the best option and worth the extra in my view (pardon the pun)
2022 Born V3 77KW - Aurora Blue, Beats, DCC, Heat Pump, Cargo Pack, 20" Blizzard Copper Wheels, Tech Pack M, Aurora Blue Seats
2021 Macan GTS (too many options)
2012 Cayman R (the right options)
1998 Boxster 2.5 (full poverty spec + 15 bad owners)