What is a Pilot L pack (UK)

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Essaypee

Post by Essaypee »

Hey folks,
Newbie here!

Looking at ordering a Born this week..
I’m hoping to get a V1 in quasar grey with pilot L pack..

But, what does a Pilot L pack do? :lol:

Having looked online it seems like it’s self driving for motorways - is that right? The dealership salesman didn’t really have an answer and just waffled.

I’m not too bothered about the self parking. Just want something to do majority of the work when I drive 100 miles on the M4 :D

I’ve seen a video of the ID3 on a motorway doing everything on this forum somewhere - is that what I should expect?

Ponk

Post by Ponk »

According to Google.

Pilot L pack. Top view camera, Rear traffic alert and lane change system, Travel assist, Intelligent park assist, Emergency assist, Trained park assist. Dinamica bucket seats.

I have it but not UK spec.

Top camera handy to check straight in a space, side cameras are under the wing mirrors. I have camera at front too but that doesn’t help much with top view.

Never used park assist, do it myself quicker.

Travel assist is prob as you said, near auto driving, I use it quite a lot, don’t confuse it with lane assist which gentle reminds you you have drifted, travel assist steers the car accurately in the lane, the hud symbol turns orange, you need to hold the wheel lightly, but you can really relax as it does the work. I think it also helps or even changes lane but never tried that.

My Focus had it and it was just as good, actually better with much better steering wheel buttons and I prefer it’s hud, I went from CH to Scotland 5x during Covid when my parents were both unwell, 16hrs each way, used the feature the whole way and it really helped, roads being completely empty also helped though!
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

- I adore the top-view for parking. The additional front camera between the CUPRA letters is used to create the 360-degree view.

- Park assist works great 90% of the time, albeit at a slower pace. Sure I can park, but why not get the car do it for me instead when it can? :D

- I use Travel Assist all the time. When it can detect lane markings or when it can use swarm-data via Connected Travel Assist it's like having an extra pair of eyes on the road.

It can be confused by some intersections whereby the driver will need to correct the direction somewhat. But I would say the main downside for me is that it doesn't handle sharper curve radii very well:
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... Rural_Road

ps. Ford uses the same MobilEye EyeQ driver assistance hardware as VW
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

I have Pilot L, didn’t order it with the car but it came with it anyway. I don’t use park assist, but my partner does and it works.

I see no need for the all around view tbh, but I guess it’s individual preference, I drive a 9m Motorhome and a 44t artic with a 13.6m trailer neither have reversing cameras let alone all around view, but I have to say I’d rather reverse either of them than the Born simply because the view in the Borns mirrors is carp.

What I would say is the L pack seems to be a must have to many and it MAY be a big plus when selling
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

Boris7 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:06 pm I see no need for the all around view ... the view in the Borns mirrors is carp.
Uh, why don't you - you know - give the 360 degree camera an honest try? 8-)
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

Elea4 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:48 pm
Boris7 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:06 pm I see no need for the all around view ... the view in the Borns mirrors is carp.
Uh, why don't you - you know - give the 360 degree camera an honest try? 8-)
It’s just never been needed, at home my drive is massive and is an in and out (not showing off, just lucky) at work the car park never has enough vehicles to have to park close to another, in supermarkets etc I intentionally park away from other vehicles (The Born cost £46k and I ain’t wanting it banged by someone else’s door)

As I said the other half loves the surround camera and self parking.