OBD socket powered dashcam install

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
phope

Post by phope »

Refitted my Garmin dashcam from previous cars into the Born - I'd hardwired it in the first car I used it in, but for subsequent cars (VW Arteon and Skoda Karoq), I'd used Garmin's neat little OBD power adaptor https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/735279

Saves mucking around with piggyback fuses and it has in-built protection against low voltage on the 12v battery, along with a simple switch for setting the length of time for parking recording and can in theory power 2 USB dashcams from one connecting.

Decided I would use the OBD adaptor again for the Born - I wanted the camera fitted to the top left of the rear view mirror. I never have the screen on whilst driving anyway so it's not distracting.

Took about 25 minutes to install from start to finish, including routing/hiding all cabling - very simple to route the cabling under the steering column area, out of the dash end end panel, tuck it away under the inner rubber door seal, and then tuck under the a-pillar trim and finally under the edge of the roof liner

IMG_1112.jpeg

IMG_1111.jpeg

IMG_1106.jpeg

IMG_1109.jpeg

IMG_1107.jpeg

IMG_1113.jpeg

Cupra Born | V2 | 77kWh E-Boost | Geyser Silver | North East Scotland

rsg444

Post by rsg444 »

Thanks for sharing this. Where is the OBD port located? Under drivers side dash? I don't have a Garmin dashcam but hopefully a generic OBD to mini USB adaptor can do the trick.