Water in the boot!

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

I can’t work out how but after some heavy rain last night my car’s tailgate was full of water!

It took me ages to get it out. I could hear it sloshing around and could see it coming out as I opened and closed it. The only thing I can think of is the runoff from my garage just so happened to force water under the gap between the light bar that runs across the boot door. The water was coming out the wrong side of the seal and got into the bit under to floor where the Jack would live and the alloy wheel key is. Has anyone else had this happen?

SabreDentist

Post by SabreDentist »

If the water is leaking through the exterior to the interior of the opening hatch, then that narrows down the potential entry points to the window glass seal, the seal between the rear wiper and the glass, or the lightbar seal. I'd put my money on the seal between the rear wiper stud and the glass as the source of the leak - this is a common failure point in cars. Something for your dealer to work through under warranty.
ZPatel

Post by ZPatel »

Hi,

I've literally had the exact same issue, only noticed the sloshing sound today when I was opening and closing the boot. How did you manage to get the water out?
I'm thinking I'm gonna have to get it booked in to be looked at at the dealership, worried it might be a bigger issue
SabreDentist

Post by SabreDentist »

Definitely get the car to the dealer as soon as you can. If there's been a lot of water getting in, they really need to get fans into the car and properly dry the area out as you don't want a mould problem developing or other permanent damage. Be sure to loop Cupra into the issue as well as the dealer.
TheBornIDentity

ZPatel wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:01 pm Hi,

I've literally had the exact same issue, only noticed the sloshing sound today when I was opening and closing the boot. How did you manage to get the water out?
I'm thinking I'm gonna have to get it booked in to be looked at at the dealership, worried it might be a bigger issue
I had to open and almost close the boot over and over for about 15 minutes!! Every time it was nearly closed a load more water would come out and then I put a towel on the boot floor right by the opening.

It’s never done it before now. It’s going into to have the recalled tyres final replaced in November so I’ll get them to look into it then.

Can’t help but think I just got unlucky with the rain direction but it’s bound to happen again at some point!
TheBornIDentity

Took it to the dealership so they can add that to the list to do when they change all the tyres next week.

I showed them for fear it would have emptied out by the time they look at it and they seemed genuinely surprised. Not something they have seen before.

Will report back when I know why it’s happening. It’s definitely not a one off though. Water goes in whenever it rains now! 🙁
sheeno25

Post by sheeno25 »

Hi new to the forum, I am experiencing the same issue with my Born V1. Did you managed to get this sorted with your local dealership?

I have mine booked into for the re-calls so will have them look at this too.
TheBornIDentity

sheeno25 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:51 pm Hi new to the forum, I am experiencing the same issue with my Born V1. Did you managed to get this sorted with your local dealership?

I got them to look at it the last time it was in but they have booked it in again as they need it in for two days. One to strip it down to work out where it’s leaking from and then order the part for next day delivery to fix it.

Welcome to the forum.
sheeno25

Post by sheeno25 »

TheBornIDentity wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:04 pm
sheeno25 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:51 pm Hi new to the forum, I am experiencing the same issue with my Born V1. Did you managed to get this sorted with your local dealership?

I got them to look at it the last time it was in but they have booked it in again as they need it in for two days. One to strip it down to work out where it’s leaking from and then order the part for next day delivery to fix it.

Welcome to the forum.
Thank you!

Mine is in for re-calls on the 28th (44T6 - Tyres, 55N4 - Striker Pin, 93Q2 - Battery Test & 93S2 S-Flash). They have it for a few days so hopefully they can investigate then.
Mitt

Post by Mitt »

@sheeno25 did you manage to get this sorted? Mine is booked in for end of Jan (Recalls), but noticed water in the tailgate section over the last day or two…