Golf R to Cupra Born....

New to the CUPRA Born Forums? Introduce yourself here
Pugboy

Post by Pugboy »

I don't recall axle tramp in my GTD. I do recall the torque would overpower the traction in the dry a little, but easy to control and it would torque steer in the wet. I found it to be a similar drive to the GTI of the same period in non performance variant. Actually probably a more engaging drive than the GTI. I did have a crack in a 7.5 GTI though and that was much better. Cracking car. All of these were manual gearboxes. I didn't like the DSG when I test drove it. Smooth changing, but it was boring.
Born V2 58 E-Boost
1989 Fiat Ducato Motorhome
2012 Fiesta Econetic Titanium

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Pugboy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:07 pm I don't recall axle tramp in my GTD. I do recall the torque would overpower the traction in the dry a little, but easy to control and it would torque steer in the wet. I found it to be a similar drive to the GTI of the same period in non performance variant. Actually probably a more engaging drive than the GTI. I did have a crack in a 7.5 GTI though and that was much better. Cracking car. All of these were manual gearboxes. I didn't like the DSG when I test drove it. Smooth changing, but it was boring.
Maybe you were lucky and didn't get yours with Bridgestone tyres - Axle tramp was very noticeable on mine, less so once I switched to Michelins. Its impossible to get a performance VAG with a manual box now, on paper, the DSG has lower emissions, but in reality, always found mpg better with a manual.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
BornSean

Post by BornSean »

We are going from a Cupra Ateca to the Born. We switched from a Formentor VZ2 to the Ateca as we weren't enjoying it.
RobT999

Post by RobT999 »

alanjs wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:40 am I had a long line of Golf GTi's and R's for over 20 years.... now a Born v3 with e-boost and Firestorm wheels. Spoiler alert - it's not a Golf R. If I had not moved from the Scottish Borders to Tamworth I would not have changed as I would definitely have missed the handling and performance on the kind of roads I drove on in the Borders.
OK, the Born is a good car. It's quick and once you get used to the twitchy back end, the handling is not too bad, but it does not compare to the R's ability to get round a bend, do quick squirt to pass slow traffic and progress comfortably and quickly on twisty roads.
However, round Tamworth the roads are completely different. Mostly motorway, dual carriageway or fairly wide A-roads with too much traffic to have any kind of fun. I just got frustrated in the R. The Born is the better car for these roads. It's quick enough, it's quiet and comfortable and it's cheap to run with a home charger and solar panels.
So, horses for courses. Just don't expect to chuck the Born around the way that you can an R. Sorry!
Sorry for the delay in commenting! By coincidence I used to live in Tamworth (Amington Fields) before moving to Berkshire with work! Know what you mean about the traffic! Rob
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

I'm not far away. Amington Green, where the golf course used to be!
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023