Too many Aussies are barely enough!

New to the CUPRA Born Forums? Introduce yourself here
aussieBORN23

Post by aussieBORN23 »

@ SabreDentist
Yes mate, the arch guards are from Automotive Passion.
The door latch covers are from Aliexpress. Mine had the Cupra wording but I don't seem to be able to find them again on the site. Suppliers do that a lot on the site. I did however find some that you can have the word "BORN" so that may suit. Choose a colour you like, mine was "silver" which is actually a stainless steel/chrome look.
Copy the link below;
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... 5e1f5223c2

aussieBORN23

Post by aussieBORN23 »

Hi Jamsa,
My spare is not a full size, it is an 18" space saver but the overall diameter is a match for the 19" rim/tyre combination. They can be found in the 5N series Tiguans. I found mine at a wreckers and I also grabbed the polystyrene boot inner to hold the spare and other bits and pieces I wanted to carry in place. The Tiguan boot is approx 10mm wider the Born but about 50mm greater in length, from memory. I took my time with a flat blade tenon saw and cut sections off the height, length and width of the liner to make it fit. If you want to go down that path I can send some before and after photos as I just happen to have a Tiguan as car #2 in the garage! I did all my research before I bought the Born.
The spacer is for the front wheels only so that the inner section of the 18" rim clears the brake calipers, don't need the spacer for the rear swap. You bolt the spacer onto the front hub first then bolt on the spare wheel to the spacer. They are offset spacers from the Golf GTI/R machined from high quality aluminium alloy.
Total weight of the wheel, spacer, insert and heavy duty scissor jack is roughly 22kgs and I have not noticed a discernible loss of range. The space saver wheel was $110 (had never been used), the liner was $80. My time $0
SabreDentist

Post by SabreDentist »

aussieBORN23 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:47 am @ SabreDentist
Yes mate, the arch guards are from Automotive Passion.
The door latch covers are from Aliexpress. Mine had the Cupra wording but I don't seem to be able to find them again on the site. Suppliers do that a lot on the site. I did however find some that you can have the word "BORN" so that may suit. Choose a colour you like, mine was "silver" which is actually a stainless steel/chrome look.
Copy the link below;
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... 5e1f5223c2
Cheers , that's very helpful!. And you're right about Aliexpress - constantly changing shape!
dlyates

Post by dlyates »

Another Aussie owner-to-be, from Oatley (Sydney South). Ordered before new year (and the NSW EV rebate cutoff) - expecting delivery sometime in Feb.

I would love to know what aftermarket tyre options we get in Aus apart from the Continentals people have found for the 215/50R19 tyres? It seems like we don't get all the brands in that size that they have in Europe?
aussieBORN23

Post by aussieBORN23 »

dlyates wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:10 pm Another Aussie owner-to-be, from Oatley (Sydney South). Ordered before new year (and the NSW EV rebate cutoff) - expecting delivery sometime in Feb.

I would love to know what aftermarket tyre options we get in Aus apart from the Continentals people have found for the 215/50R19 tyres? It seems like we don't get all the brands in that size that they have in Europe?
Welcome
The research I did prior to vehicle purchase was that we could probably use tyres like Michelin or Pirelli 225/50R19. They are well within the 3% difference in diameter, just slightly wider and pretty sure the 19" rims are 7.5" wide so slightly wider tyres are not a problem.
If you were to destroy one existing tyre then you would probably need to replace the other tyre on the same axle to keep tread patterns the same. I am not a tyre expert but possible options to consider. Tyres in the 235/50R19 range could also be an option. Talk to the tyre dealers.
SabreDentist

Post by SabreDentist »

aussieBORN23 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:26 pm
dlyates wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:10 pm Another Aussie owner-to-be, from Oatley (Sydney South). Ordered before new year (and the NSW EV rebate cutoff) - expecting delivery sometime in Feb.

Welcome
The research I did prior to vehicle purchase was that we could probably use tyres like Michelin or Pirelli 225/50R19. They are well within the 3% difference in diameter, just slightly wider and pretty sure the 19" rims are 7.5" wide so slightly wider tyres are not a problem.
If you were to destroy one existing tyre then you would probably need to replace the other tyre on the same axle to keep tread patterns the same. I am not a tyre expert but possible options to consider. Tyres in the 235/50R19 range could also be an option. Talk to the tyre dealers.
The 225/50/R19s would be a good option, but a bit like the 215/50/R19s, they are quite an uncommon size, which means relatively few choices and spotty inventory. 225/45/R19s are more common and could perhaps be considered but result in a shorter diameter. The best advice is plan ahead if you can as tyres may need to be ordered in and see if you can get a good deal on ordering a spare along with your main set (so it can be fitted at a later date).
StormTrooper

Post by StormTrooper »

Late to the party it seems, but picking up a geyser silver on Wednesday. Looking forward to checking out the car, having had a BYD for couple of months followed by a Volvo C40 for a few more.

Also keen to get some info on things like the spare wheel mod amongst others. I've pinged a UK company about the factory variable floor and just waiting to hear if they'll ship it to us convicts....