Tyre wear

New to the CUPRA Born Forums? Introduce yourself here
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

Ponk wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:11 am
Boris7 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:18 am
Shahev wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:25 pm How about the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 EV as used with the Born 20 inch wheels?. We like them, good grip and handling.

https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/bran ... v-acoustic
Can’t see them in 215/45x20
MPS EV are only in the 235 width it seems, I have them but have that weird cavity noise from them, not as bad as when new. But certainly my winter tyres now have a slight whine from the tread, but no drone like the MPS EV, so I wouldn't recommend the MSP EV anyway.

I wouldn't go for the MSP S version, would be a waste of extra cost ( a lot) unless you really would use the extra grip.

If you want a good tyre, there is plenty choice, things like the Goodyear efficient Grip, Eco contact, or Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3 (half the price of MPS S!).

A good channel for tyre reviews is below, if you are mad into tyres like me, then this is good to watch, although I don't recall are particular review about EV tyres.

https://www.youtube.com/@tyrereviews/videos
Tested wife's Born V3 with the Michelin Pilot Sport EV tyres and no music playing with and without passengers and no major issues on cavity noise. I use 36 psi all round. Seems consistent in winter and warmer seasons.
Born 77 kw. V3. DCC Beats Heat Pump Firestorm

Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

I’m wondering if the 235 being a bit wider may give a bit of a cushion when SWMBO parks next to a curb, I looked at the o/s/f today and it’s been dinked again.
Obviously she didn’t do it, but since I haven’t driven it for over a week and she’s used to a 4x4 I have my suspicions, in fairness the surround camera has packed up (in on Monday) and that makes parking easier.
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

I've had my Born for a year and have done a bit more than 20,000kms (about 12,500 miles) and my tyres are still fine. They're Continental Eco Contact 6.
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.
potxotxo

Post by potxotxo »

Same here: about 23.000 Kms and 10 months: Ecocontact 6, just fine, so far
2023 Born V3ish 58 kWh
wcabes

Post by wcabes »

For those who have had short tyre life (Under 20,000kms), is there anything notable about your journeys? Short trips, heavy traffic, highway, alot of roundabouts?

I would also be interested in the regen setting you are typically using? Are you always in B mode etc?
Cliffjp

Post by Cliffjp »

I would have thought tyre wear on the rears would be mostly influenced by the driving style ie how hard the car is accelerated. There is a huge amount of available torque so the potential to wear out the tyres quickly.
BlakeneyBorn

Post by BlakeneyBorn »

Currently done 29,000 miles on original Goodyears and still 2mm to minimum on the rears.
conrad2023

Post by conrad2023 »

I have only had my born V2 for six months have done about 8000 miles with only half the tread worn. The car came with Conti ecocontact 6 with contiseal and no repair kit so I hope I do not get a puncture 🤞
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

wcabes wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:00 pm I would also be interested in the regen setting you are typically using? Are you always in B mode etc?
B or D mode will have no effect at all on tyre wear.
The only difference B mode makes is that regens when you lift off the throttle, and so starts to slow the car down. If you want to slow down in D mode you have to use the brake pedal. The amount of regenerative braking that happens when you lift off on B or brake in D is the same. The two modes are just different ways of controlling the car, nothing more.
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.