Wireless Android /Apple Dongle

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Brett Polain

Post by Brett Polain »

Hi,
Wondering if anyone has tried using a wireless connection for Android/ Carplay? Having the phone connected via cable to connect to the infotainment unit and wireless charge at the same time, the phone gets bloody hot.
Looking at possibly trying an Ottocast or Carlinkit module to allow having the phone sitting on the wireless charging pad only, without cable connection as well.

Cheers
Brett

Cliffjp

Post by Cliffjp »

Mine iPhone connects wirelessly without problem and Apple CarPlay works fine.
daern

Post by daern »

Wireless charging does tend to cook phones, generally. I don't have one in my car, but I had a loan Cupra while mine was in which did have it, and my phone felt oven-hot when it was taken out again.

I use a USB cable normally, or just don't bother quite often (using Android Auto wireless) - either way, it doesn't cook the phone.
dooleydoo

Post by dooleydoo »

Why would you need a dongle? Does it add other functionality? The out of the box wireless car play works fine...
SabreDentist

Post by SabreDentist »

Some Cupra Borns like the ones we get in Australia and New Zealand get wired Apple Carplay and Android auto, which is a real pain. Goodness knows why. A dongle is needed if you want to avoid the faff associated with cables and short journeys!

The dongle I use is the One Car Stereo Smart Carplay AI Box. You can find it on the One car stereo website and amazon. I can confirm that this works really well on the Born and has some additional functionality that will enable you to play Youtube videos and Netflix when the car is stationary (good for keeping kids occupied during those roadside charging sessions). You can also install and use a range of google apps (yes, even if you use Carplay). Plus you can choose to connect it to your home network when in range and save your data.

The dongle is not cheap but they do seem to special it from time to time.

My older Carplay2air dongle, which worked on my previous car, will connect OK but, is hopelessly laggy on the Born. I can't speak to the Ottocast or Carlinkit options.

Whether or not you use a dongle, your phone will still get quite hot when charging wirelessly. I tend to keep mine off the wireless charger unless absolutely necessary for a quick top up.

Note that you can't use a wireless dongle with an infotainment system that is already wireless. I am not sure why you would want to but they warn that it will not work.
Brett Polain

Post by Brett Polain »

Thanks SabreDentist, will look into One Car Stereo Smart you suggest.
Cheers
tuppaware

Post by tuppaware »

I have an Ottocast for mine and Apple CarPlay works well 99% of the time, except for when the phone overheats on the wireless pad and it shuts down. I have to reset it to get it to work
Aussie Owners review of the Born 2023
https://youtu.be/2tMEUtKVnOg
dlyates

Post by dlyates »

dooleydoo wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:46 pm Why would you need a dongle? Does it add other functionality? The out of the box wireless car play works fine...
Having the same issue as the OP.
At least here in Oz, the bluetooth connection only gives me access to the iPhone for phone, phonebook and apple music (confirmed with the dealer).
If I want to use google maps or spotify, you have to connect by cable and constantly charge your phone.

The Ottocast seems to be one of the more expensive options on Amazon ($100 - $120), would be interested in hearing about positive experiences with any of the cheaper dongles.