Given up on tech but like the car

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Roborn

Post by Roborn »

So I’ve had my V2 Born for about 12 weeks now and initially visited this forum regularly for hints and tips. I enjoy driving the car - covered about 3000 miles in that time so I’m not a heavy user. Always charge at home, not had to worry about charging anywhere else. Lots of IT niggles, to the point I just get in the car and set up CarPlay,, set the heater and just don’t bother playing with any of the technology, it’s frustrating if I try to utilise a lot of the features so I don’t bother any more. I get the key not detected ping up every low and again, although the biggest annoyance so far has been a minor colllision with a pheasant which hit the lower grille and knocked off the front brake sensor which now needs fixing - so I’ve had to make an insurance claim which is annoying. My wife hates the car, even though it’s easy to drive in my opinion she much prefers our petrol car. I drove our other car for the first time in ages today and it was refreshing to be honest, and reminded me that the Born - whilst quick in a straight line - is by no means a hot hatch, it just feels heavy and cumbersome in comparison. So a mixed feeling about the Born really, a lot of the tech is just being ignored as it seems unreliable and fiddly but the driving part is easy. My mother is 80 and still driving - the Born requires so little input from the driver I reckon if she switches to an EV she’ll keep driving into her 90’s! For me I find the car just a bit boring, but I’m very pleased with how cheap it is to run!

RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Excuse my ignorrance here but what actually is the problem? You've only outlined one part you found frustrating which I'd argue isn't related to the tech and one annoyance with the key not being detected.
Roborn

Post by Roborn »

I’m in my mid 50’s and this is the first car I’ve owned where you have to take your eyes off the road to stab at sliders and a sluggish screen for basics like heating and audio. That in itself makes operation of a lot of the technology downright dangerous imho. I also get warning messages about blocked sensors on colder days which are easily cleared by a few flicks of the wipers but I’ve never experienced that on another car either. The whole EV driving experience is fine, but the tech side of it is tragic on a car in 2024 imho, especially one from the VAG group. Not enough for me to despise the car - I just drive it and do my best not to interact with the controls once I’ve set off. Something simple like connecting to Apple CarPlay is made difficult as it seems ti randomly attach any one of 3 phones in the family regardless of whether I make mine the primary phone or not - totally random! The list of niggles is too long and boring to go into detail, but most are touched upon elsewhere on this forum so none of my comments should be in any way surprising?
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Roborn wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:34 pm I’m in my mid 50’s and this is the first car I’ve owned where you have to take your eyes off the road to stab at sliders and a sluggish screen for basics like heating and audio. That in itself makes operation of a lot of the technology downright dangerous imho. I also get warning messages about blocked sensors on colder days which are easily cleared by a few flicks of the wipers but I’ve never experienced that on another car either. The whole EV driving experience is fine, but the tech side of it is tragic on a car in 2024 imho, especially one from the VAG group. Not enough for me to despise the car - I just drive it and do my best not to interact with the controls once I’ve set off. Something simple like connecting to Apple CarPlay is made difficult as it seems ti randomly attach any one of 3 phones in the family regardless of whether I make mine the primary phone or not - totally random! The list of niggles is too long and boring to go into detail, but most are touched upon elsewhere on this forum so none of my comments should be in any way surprising?
That makes sense and really you're not alone - I detest the buttonless experience.

It seems anything that's from 2020 onwards for VAG group using their new software/hardware platform is prone to bugs and general technical woes. My current MK8 Golf (same platform as the ID.3, ID.4 and the Cupra etc) has had a whole host of issues such as the rear camera failing to open, (similar to yourself) supposed front-visibility being unusable and a generally sluggish infotainment system.

A big one for me (here in the UK) was my Adaptive Cruise Control having a mind of it's own and slamming me on from 70mph to 44mph - not sure why, I can only assume it's thinking it's abroad but even 44kmh does not equal 70mph - that was since fixed by an updated from VW specific to my car.

To be fair though, I find it's more hassle than it's worth getting frustrated about it and although it's not ideal, you learn to deal with the quirks but this still doesn't excuse the fact you've paid all that money. If your car is new, complain to SEAT/CUPRA/VAG to see if they can get an update for your car as, like I say, this is what they did for me and admittedly it's been much better - albeit 2/3yrs of ownership.

That being said, I didn't experience any woes when doing my three test drives of the Born and neither did the lady who actually owns one who placed my order so we'll see when I finally pick it up.

It's a shame as they're lovely cars but VW can't write software to save their lives.
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

Had mine 10 months and the camera packed up this week, not had any other issues really.

I’m looking for a second EV (4x4) but this time I’ll be looking harder at the tech side, as I said I’ve not had any issues but at the same time I find the system is over the top,
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

RedPanda wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:32 pm
Roborn wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:34 pm I’m in my mid 50’s and this is the first car I’ve owned where you have to take your eyes off the road to stab at sliders and a sluggish screen for basics like heating and audio. That in itself makes operation of a lot of the technology downright dangerous imho. I also get warning messages about blocked sensors on colder days which are easily cleared by a few flicks of the wipers but I’ve never experienced that on another car either. The whole EV driving experience is fine, but the tech side of it is tragic on a car in 2024 imho, especially one from the VAG group. Not enough for me to despise the car - I just drive it and do my best not to interact with the controls once I’ve set off. Something simple like connecting to Apple CarPlay is made difficult as it seems ti randomly attach any one of 3 phones in the family regardless of whether I make mine the primary phone or not - totally random! The list of niggles is too long and boring to go into detail, but most are touched upon elsewhere on this forum so none of my comments should be in any way surprising?
That makes sense and really you're not alone - I detest the buttonless experience.

It seems anything that's from 2020 onwards for VAG group using their new software/hardware platform is prone to bugs and general technical woes. My current MK8 Golf (same platform as the ID.3, ID.4 and the Cupra etc) has had a whole host of issues such as the rear camera failing to open, (similar to yourself) supposed front-visibility being unusable and a generally sluggish infotainment system.

A big one for me (here in the UK) was my Adaptive Cruise Control having a mind of it's own and slamming me on from 70mph to 44mph - not sure why, I can only assume it's thinking it's abroad but even 44kmh does not equal 70mph - that was since fixed by an updated from VW specific to my car.

To be fair though, I find it's more hassle than it's worth getting frustrated about it and although it's not ideal, you learn to deal with the quirks but this still doesn't excuse the fact you've paid all that money. If your car is new, complain to SEAT/CUPRA/VAG to see if they can get an update for your car as, like I say, this is what they did for me and admittedly it's been much better - albeit 2/3yrs of ownership.

That being said, I didn't experience any woes when doing my three test drives of the Born and neither did the lady who actually owns one who placed my order so we'll see when I finally pick it up.

It's a shame as they're lovely cars but VW can't write software to save their lives.
I think your ACC issues are caused by the sign recognition - you're doing 70mph on the motorway and the camera spots a 40mph sign up the sliproad that you didn't take and slips you down for it. I switched our sign recognition off and ACC behaves as expected.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Boris7 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:38 am Had mine 10 months and the camera packed up this week, not had any other issues really.

I’m looking for a second EV (4x4) but this time I’ll be looking harder at the tech side, as I said I’ve not had any issues but at the same time I find the system is over the top,
Our rear camera died after 16 months and was replaced under warranty.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:56 pm
Boris7 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:38 am Had mine 10 months and the camera packed up this week, not had any other issues really.

Our rear camera died after 16 months and was replaced under warranty.
I’m sure it will be covered under warranty, it’s just a faff tbh
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

Roborn wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:30 am So I’ve had my V2 Born for about 12 weeks now and initially visited this forum regularly for hints and tips. I enjoy driving the car - covered about 3000 miles in that time so I’m not a heavy user. Always charge at home, not had to worry about charging anywhere else. Lots of IT niggles, to the point I just get in the car and set up CarPlay,, set the heater and just don’t bother playing with any of the technology, it’s frustrating if I try to utilise a lot of the features so I don’t bother any more. I get the key not detected ping up every low and again, although the biggest annoyance so far has been a minor colllision with a pheasant which hit the lower grille and knocked off the front brake sensor which now needs fixing - so I’ve had to make an insurance claim which is annoying. My wife hates the car, even though it’s easy to drive in my opinion she much prefers our petrol car. I drove our other car for the first time in ages today and it was refreshing to be honest, and reminded me that the Born - whilst quick in a straight line - is by no means a hot hatch, it just feels heavy and cumbersome in comparison. So a mixed feeling about the Born really, a lot of the tech is just being ignored as it seems unreliable and fiddly but the driving part is easy. My mother is 80 and still driving - the Born requires so little input from the driver I reckon if she switches to an EV she’ll keep driving into her 90’s! For me I find the car just a bit boring, but I’m very pleased with how cheap it is to run!
Reading this post doesn't give any clue to what you don't like. Feels cumbersome and heavy. Sure, it's a heavy car, you feel it only when pushed. Cumbersome? It has light steering, it's small and has a tight turning circle, so not sure what you mean. Your previous post mentions lane assist, again something that is active, by law, in every car in recent years. Agree that it can be a pain switching it off if you don't want it, I have it in my favourites shortcut, but a recent post suggested UK cars, or at least certain software versions, don't have this option.
Lot's of tech has many different was to activate and de-active, so maybe we could help out with some tips.
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

Ponk wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:26 am
Roborn wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:30 am So I’ve had my V2 Born for about 12 weeks now and initially visited this forum regularly for hints and tips. I enjoy driving the car - covered about 3000 miles in that time so I’m not a heavy user. Always charge at home, not had to worry about charging anywhere else. Lots of IT niggles, to the point I just get in the car and set up CarPlay,, set the heater and just don’t bother playing with any of the technology, it’s frustrating if I try to utilise a lot of the features so I don’t bother any more. I get the key not detected ping up every low and again, although the biggest annoyance so far has been a minor colllision with a pheasant which hit the lower grille and knocked off the front brake sensor which now needs fixing - so I’ve had to make an insurance claim which is annoying. My wife hates the car, even though it’s easy to drive in my opinion she much prefers our petrol car. I drove our other car for the first time in ages today and it was refreshing to be honest, and reminded me that the Born - whilst quick in a straight line - is by no means a hot hatch, it just feels heavy and cumbersome in comparison. So a mixed feeling about the Born really, a lot of the tech is just being ignored as it seems unreliable and fiddly but the driving part is easy. My mother is 80 and still driving - the Born requires so little input from the driver I reckon if she switches to an EV she’ll keep driving into her 90’s! For me I find the car just a bit boring, but I’m very pleased with how cheap it is to run!
Reading this post doesn't give any clue to what you don't like. Feels cumbersome and heavy. Sure, it's a heavy car, you feel it only when pushed. Cumbersome? It has light steering, it's small and has a tight turning circle, so not sure what you mean, my wife loves the car as it's easy to drive around town, very easy to park, she loves the 360 camera, and also nice to drive on the motorway. Your previous post mentions lane assist, again something that is active, by law, in every car in recent years. Agree that it can be a pain switching it off if you don't want it, I have it in my favourites shortcut, but a recent post suggested UK cars, or at least certain software versions, don't have this option.
Lot's of tech has many different was to activate and de-active, so maybe we could help out with some tips.
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.