Opinions on where the EV market is going?

The place to discuss everything else..
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I'm looking around for a small EV for my Son as a second car for his Wife and this popped up on the leasing App I have.
A car for not much more than you spend on a phone and coffees for the month???
The GWM ORA 3 is renamed from the funky cat.
At £115/month on lease for 24 months may not be everyone's cup of tea but the price will certainly turn some heads.
I'm just wondering what pressure the Chinese imports in particular will put on the already weak used EV market and where I'll be with my Born if I go full term on my PCP June 2025.
Any opinions on where it's all going?

Screenshot_20240210-121421_Chrome.jpg

Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE

Baconrage

Post by Baconrage »

Maybe I'm being a snob but wouldn't want a Chinese car.
V3 58kwh e-boost in Quasar gray.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Baconrage wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:59 pm Maybe I'm being a snob but wouldn't want a Chinese car.
I doubt I will, even a Tesla, but it will impact what we would prefer to buy in some way. Its how that has me guessing.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Baconrage

Post by Baconrage »

Yep, I would have had a Polestar 2 if they weren't built in China. I find it disappointing the amount of MG's on the road but I get that they are a lot cheaper compared to pretty much everything else.
V3 58kwh e-boost in Quasar gray.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I didn't know the Polestar was built in China. My old Company, Ford, are miles behind so wouldn't be surprised to see them sourcing builds there.
At the moment they plan to build in Romania.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
wcabes

Post by wcabes »

I think it depends a little on your country, here in Australia the government (State & Federal) seem committed to propping up the EV market, but I wonder if that will change (like other positions the government has reversed recently). Here in Australia there are significant tax benefits in owning an EV currently, which completely changes the equations compared to ICE vehicles.

People want everything cheap, and the EV market is (for the most part) out of most people's budget for a car, or a big commitment for ordinary people. A non-Chinese EV seems to be a premium car (for lack of a better term).

I feel like the lure of a new, cheap and poorly made Chinese EV will be very difficult competition when selling my second hand Born. The battery concern is significant second hand, when you can buy a new Chinese EV with X years warranty. People appreciate quality and driving experience less and less these days, and the EV owners I feel tend to be tech people, wanting a self driving car (in general).

I fully intend to run my Born into the ground, partly because of this, partly because I like to own my cars for 10 years and the potential of improvements in battery technology that would devalue the current EVs.

Sorry, probably a bit bleak. Haha. But as every day goes on, I am saving bucket loads in fuel and running costs.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

wcabes wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:45 pm I think it depends a little on your country, here in Australia the government (State & Federal) seem committed to propping up the EV market, but I wonder if that will change (like other positions the government has reversed recently). Here in Australia there are significant tax benefits in owning an EV currently, which completely changes the equations compared to ICE vehicles.

People want everything cheap, and the EV market is (for the most part) out of most people's budget for a car, or a big commitment for ordinary people. A non-Chinese EV seems to be a premium car (for lack of a better term).

I feel like the lure of a new, cheap and poorly made Chinese EV will be very difficult competition when selling my second hand Born. The battery concern is significant second hand, when you can buy a new Chinese EV with X years warranty. People appreciate quality and driving experience less and less these days, and the EV owners I feel tend to be tech people, wanting a self driving car (in general).

I fully intend to run my Born into the ground, partly because of this, partly because I like to own my cars for 10 years and the potential of improvements in battery technology that would devalue the current EVs.

Sorry, probably a bit bleak. Haha. But as every day goes on, I am saving bucket loads in fuel and running costs.
I am currently considering doing the same. The only point I'd question is whether in fact the Chinese EVs are inferior or is it a reputational hangover from cheap Chinese copies that pop up in all sectors and markets.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 »

Look at most Asian ICE cars…..

Values tend to tumble after a few years.
Compare a 3 year old Kia Ceed to a 3 year old Audi a3…..Audi is worth £££ more, even though list prices were similar, the Kia still has warranty etc….The market still prefers German/Swedish brands…