How many hours??

All CUPRA Born related discussions
TaylorT2

Post by TaylorT2 »

Hi all,

Thank you for all being so helpful on my last post regarding winter advice. It was really useful.

I have been trying to work out however how long I would be charging my car a week and thought I'd ask on here?

I'm trying to work out how much it will cost me a week and it's hard to figure out how many hours of charge I'd need.

From your experience, how long a week (in hours) do you charge your car?

I have ordered the 58kwh and each week do around 200 ish miles. If that.

Ponk

Post by Ponk »

EDITED, easier to read, and using the posters consumption below.

Time:
You know the battery size (58KW), you should check the charging rate, looks like 7.5kw/hr, so you know how long it takes to charge full, or note how long per 10% or per 50 miles etc.
I don't mean to be rude, to some, these numbers are easy to work out, to others (like my wife) they have no idea what the numbers mean and just want it charged and enjoy driving it (like my wife).

58kw battery from 0-100% at 7.5KW/HR will take just over 7.5 hrs. Then you have a range of 174miles going from 100% to 0% using Alanjs consumption of 3 miles per kw. If you charge at 20% and only go to 80%, then is a 60% increase in charge, which is 34.8 KW (every 10% battery is 5.8kw), so at a charge speed of 7.5kw/hr, that would take just over 4.5 hrs. How often you charge is up to you, if you are anxious about being caught short of range, you may typically charge to 100% when you reach 30% or 40% left (what my wife does), so 30% to 100% is 70% increase, that's 40.6kw, so 5.5 hrs to charge.

For 200 miles, you will need 67kw at 3 miles per kw. So the total charge time for 67kw at 7.5 kw/hr is roughly 9 hrs. So you are looking at charging 2x per week, 5hrs each time, or maybe 3x per week, 3-4 hrs each time if you don't want to get super low % left on any day.

Cost:
If you know the pence per KWH then you know the total cost for a full 58KW charge.

How often:
That's up to you. 200miles is about the max range for a consumption of 3.5 miles per KW, then it's up to you how often you want to charge eg at 0% end of week to 100, at 50% mid week to 80%, every night top up to...xx%

I hope that helps you out!
Last edited by Ponk on Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

I looked at my figures for the last 11 months also on a 58KWh battery. Mostly short journeys, I rarely get above 3 miles/KWh.

I averaged 170 miles per month with an average of 65KWh/month of charge into the car (higher in winter, lower in summer). At the charge rate of about 7.4 KW per hour on my home charger, that equates to 8.7 hours per month.

For you, at 200 miles per week, that would be about 76KWh and 10 hours charging time per week.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

I didn’t mention that my charging speed is very consistent, 10.8kw/h from a 11kw/h rated box. Your time to charge depends on what speed you will get at home.
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

Ponk wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:42 pm I didn’t mention that my charging speed is very consistent, 10.8kw/h from a 11kw/h rated box. Your time to charge depends on what speed you will get at home.
UK domestic supply is single phase so it maxes out at about 7.4-7.7 KW. Many European countries have a 3-phase domestic supply which can provide the higher charge rate that you have.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

alanjs wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:14 am
Ponk wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:42 pm I didn’t mention that my charging speed is very consistent, 10.8kw/h from a 11kw/h rated box. Your time to charge depends on what speed you will get at home.
UK domestic supply is single phase so it maxes out at about 7.4-7.7 KW. Many European countries have a 3-phase domestic supply which can provide the higher charge rate that you have.
Good to know, I did wonder a couple of times when 7.x KW was mentioned often, but 10-11 was never mentioned. Considering the crazy costs of install for my box, at least there is one positive to it!

Taylor, I updated my first post with new info, hope it helps, when is your car delivery due?
TaylorT2

Post by TaylorT2 »

Ponk wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:30 am
alanjs wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:14 am
Good to know, I did wonder a couple of times when 7.x KW was mentioned often, but 10-11 was never mentioned. Considering the crazy costs of install for my box, at least there is one positive to it!

Taylor, I updated my first post with new info, hope it helps, when is your car delivery due?
It's due on the 19th but could be earlier/later. Last I heard was it arrived on the UK last Thursday and has been awaiting to be assigned to a transporter from the UK port since Monday