Preparing for delivery of Born

All CUPRA Born related discussions
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Hi guys and gals, new to the forum so hi all!

I'm due to take delivery of a Born V2 58kWh soon and just wanted to know is there anything I should get or know in prep? I didn't get any extras so this is a bog standard V2 58kWh in Quasar Grey.

I was aiming to get a 77kWh but the lead time would mean I'd have had to wait potentially into next year due to 'shortages' - or so the dealer told me, which has been sent to every Cupra dealer across the UK.

I'm having Ohme (fitted by OVO Energy) install a Home Pro charger at the property in around 2 weeks and I know to switch to Intelligent Go from Octopus but is there anything else?

I was toying with buying a 3-pin wall charger in case I head to somewhere without a charger.

Thanks in advance!

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Unless your mileage is huge, and you use far more electricity for the car than the house, you will probably be better on Octopus Tracker than one of the BEV tariffs. Pay around 18p per kWh average for any time of the day, or pay 7.5p per kWh for the car/house within a window, and about 32p per kWh at all other times. You might not get on the tracker until you've been an octopus tariff for a short while.

Quality German made thick Rubber mats and load liners can be bought from the likes of "Driveden" for less than half the price of the official mats.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:35 pm Unless your mileage is huge, and you use far more electricity for the car than the house, you will probably be better on Octopus Tracker than one of the BEV tariffs. Pay around 18p per kWh average for any time of the day, or pay 7.5p per kWh for the car/house within a window, and about 32p per kWh at all other times. You might not get on the tracker until you've been an octopus tariff for a short while.

Quality German made thick Rubber mats and load liners can be bought from the likes of "Driveden" for less than half the price of the official mats.
Interesting, thanks for the tip.

I've been with Octopus now since we moved in (around 3yrs ago) but simply on their variable tariff which I've never changed.

In terms of mileage, I'd say anywhere from 15 - 45miles during the week. Mon and Friday are around 15 whilst Tues through to Thurs will be more-so around the 10 (the 45 accounts for times where we, sadly, have to travel to the in-laws :lol:).

There will also be times where we venture to North Wales which would be around a 120mile round trip but I'd look to charge up there anyway.

I have heard of both Tracker and Agile tariffs though so I know they exist but with the 7.5p being the magic figure and the fact that Ohme highly suggests it, I just assumed that Intelligent Go would be the best tariff considering I'd probably have to charge up once in a blue moon (providing I get the advertised mileage).

Would you say based on this then I'd be better with Agile/Tracker then?

Likewise, thanks for the rec. on rubber mats - are they much better than the included cloth/woven mats then that I was promised on delivery?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

RedPanda wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:37 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:35 pm Unless your mileage is huge, and you use far more electricity for the car than the house, you will probably be better on Octopus Tracker than one of the BEV tariffs. Pay around 18p per kWh average for any time of the day, or pay 7.5p per kWh for the car/house within a window, and about 32p per kWh at all other times. You might not get on the tracker until you've been an octopus tariff for a short while.

I've been with Octopus now since we moved in (around 3yrs ago) but simply on their variable tariff which I've never changed.

In terms of mileage, I'd say anywhere from 15 - 45miles during the week. Mon and Friday are around 15 whilst Tues through to Thurs will be more-so around the 10 (the 45 accounts for times where we, sadly, have to travel to the in-laws :lol:).

There will also be times where we venture to North Wales which would be around a 120mile round trip but I'd look to charge up there anyway.

I have heard of both Tracker and Agile tariffs though so I know they exist but with the 7.5p being the magic figure and the fact that Ohme highly suggests it, I just assumed that Intelligent Go would be the best tariff considering I'd probably have to charge up once in a blue moon (providing I get the advertised mileage).

Likewise, thanks for the rec. on rubber mats - are they much better than the included cloth/woven mats then that I was promised on delivery?
Rubber mats are so much more durable and easy to wash - having been anywhere muddy, or sand from the beach etc. First job for me when getting a new car - get the Rubber mats in.

You should definitely get the cloth mats, they are standard spec with the car, not an extra the dealer has thrown in as a bonus.

All of your electricity spend at 16-19p per kWh (tracker), or 50% each at 7.5p and 32p per kWh (Go or similar), the tracker beats it. It takes a lot of discipline to move all your appliance use to the cheap times etc. Also, before the most recent software update, the Born used to frequently set the car alarm off when charging to the determined threshold e.g. 80%. I don't think it does it now, but getting up at 3am when charging overnight to unlock and relocate the car to stop the alarm was no fun!

Ponk

Post by Ponk »

In Europe at least, the car comes with a standard charging cable, roughly 6.5m and a 3 pin emergency backup with a very long lead, I’ve never checked the exactly length. Someone in the UK can confirm if it’s the same there.
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Ponk wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:41 pm In Europe at least, the car comes with a standard charging cable, roughly 6.5m and a 3 pin emergency backup with a very long lead, I’ve never checked the exactly length. Someone in the UK can confirm if it’s the same there.
There's no "granny charger" lead (domestic charging at 3kW) given with the car in the UK, just the type 2 charging lead for 7kW charging. I've never felt the need to buy a granny charger for the following reasons:-

1. Seems a bit of an imposition to ask your friend/relative you're visiting.

2. It takes an age, adding 8-10 miles of charge per hour.

3. Domestic 13A plugs aren't designed to pull 10A for hours on end, you could well end up with a burnt out socket.

Get a proper home charger if you have a driveway with accessibility to a power source.

Ponk

Post by Ponk »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:51 am
Ponk wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:41 pm In Europe at least, the car comes with a standard charging cable, roughly 6.5m and a 3 pin emergency backup with a very long lead, I’ve never checked the exactly length. Someone in the UK can confirm if it’s the same there.
There's no "granny charger" lead (domestic charging at 3kW) given with the car in the UK, just the type 2 charging lead for 7kW charging. I've never felt the need to buy a granny charger for the following reasons:-

3. Domestic 13A plugs aren't designed to pull 10A for hours on end, you could well end up with a burnt out socket.

Get a proper home charger if you have a driveway with accessibility to a power source.
Of course all your points are correct, was just pointing out that that European cars come with 2 cables as standard, the 3 pin is called an "emergency cable" in the paperwork. I chuck it in the boot on long trips, just in case.
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:30 pm
RedPanda wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:37 pm

Rubber mats are so much more durable and easy to wash - having been anywhere muddy, or sand from the beach etc. First job for me when getting a new car - get the Rubber mats in.

You should definitely get the cloth mats, they are standard spec with the car, not an extra the dealer has thrown in as a bonus.

All of your electricity spend at 16-19p per kWh (tracker), or 50% each at 7.5p and 32p per kWh (Go or similar), the tracker beats it. It takes a lot of discipline to move all your appliance use to the cheap times etc. Also, before the most recent software update, the Born used to frequently set the car alarm off when charging to the determined threshold e.g. 80%. I don't think it does it now, but getting up at 3am when charging overnight to unlock and relocate the car to stop the alarm was no fun!
Nice, I'll look into the Tracker tariff instead. I suppose I can always trial the Tracker and then move from this (although I am aware that there's a 2-week cooldown before you can move off and you're unable to return within 9 months). I have read a few reports on EDF's Next tariff somewhat beating this also - is this something you've read into by any chance?

I did worry on software as my current Golf 8 has had it's fair share of software issues and after speaking with an ID.4 owner, it seems I'm not alone or anyone who uses their newer platforms - if it's one thing I've learnt is that VAG are excellent at hardware but as usual, Germans cannot code quality software for toffee.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Ponk wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:11 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:51 am

Of course all your points are correct, was just pointing out that that European cars come with 2 cables as standard, the 3 pin is called an "emergency cable" in the paperwork. I chuck it in the boot on long trips, just in case.
Likewise with what monkeyhanger said, the UK spec excludes the granny charger sadly. You get this included as part of the boot addon but even then they remove your standard 7kWh cable - or so the dealer told me.
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

I traded my Born in yesterday 🙁 (I got a lemon as far as I’m concerned so will refrain from slagging the Born off) but the car I bought comes with a granny cable but not a type 2. I expected the opposite so nabbed my type 2 just before handing the car over and have a spare granny cable!

To be honest I’ve hardly ever used it and I’d not recommend buying one. It’s the sort of thing you think you’ll need when you get your first EV but won’t. As mentioned above it’s a bit like asking to siphon petrol from someone’s car in reality and holiday lets and the like are asking you not to charge from outlets.

Anyway, if you really want one message me and you can have my spare for £50 if you want to meet at a nearby services. I’m in Gloucestershire. It’s a VAG one. I’ve got not use for it and I’d just give it away but it cost £180!