Security and Tracker

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

Boris7 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:00 am A tracker is a 5 minute fit, but 3/4g signal blockers are norm amongst those that steal cars.

When the Borns at home it’s the last vehicle likely to be nicked, but the obvious answer is for manufactures to add a simple secondary start feature such as a PIN code
Totally agree, simple feature but effective
Born 77 kw. V3. DCC Beats Heat Pump Firestorm

tuppaware

Post by tuppaware »

I just chucked an Apple AirTag somewhere hidden in the car. That will tell me if someone drives off with it, then I can mark it as lost. Mobile device blockers won't mean anything as it uses low powered bluetooth.

I realise that a thief might just get a notification on their phone saying a tracker is following along with them but It's really well hidden and by that point I'd hope that someone will just ditch the car or police will be able to use that info .
Aussie Owners review of the Born 2023
https://youtu.be/2tMEUtKVnOg
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

tuppaware wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:44 pm I just chucked an Apple AirTag somewhere hidden in the car. That will tell me if someone drives off with it, then I can mark it as lost. Mobile device blockers won't mean anything as it uses low powered bluetooth.

I realise that a thief might just get a notification on their phone saying a tracker is following along with them but It's really well hidden and by that point I'd hope that someone will just ditch the car or police will be able to use that info .
But the air tag relies on a Bluetooth connection to a 3/4/5g with NFC device and therefore the same signal blocker will disable it, also findmy tells you (and therefore the thief) of any unrecognised AirTags near you, and any non Apple devise with NFC can identify an AirTag and best believe any professional thief will know this.

It may work for a joy rider, but they won’t be equipped to nick a Born anyway, you’d be better off just keeping your keys in a safe place and in a faraday bag.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

No need for a Faraday bag - codes change following every use of the key and the keys don't transmit when still. You can't intercept the signal with a scanner and reuse that code later.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
tuppaware

Post by tuppaware »

Car thief's in the UK must be pretty hardcore?
Here it's just likely to be kids who snatch keys and drive it until it's wrecked at least in the suburbs.
Aussie Owners review of the Born 2023
https://youtu.be/2tMEUtKVnOg
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

We have the same, but that’s pretty easy to avoid, then we have more “professional” types that steal to break for parts, use for other crimes, steal to order etc. I’ve just looked on line and it seems there were 130.500 car thief’s 2022/3 but that’s a big improvement over 20 years, in 2002/3 there were 307,000

Top models often get stolen to order for export.
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

Boris7 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:18 am We have the same, but that’s pretty easy to avoid, then we have more “professional” types that steal to break for parts, use for other crimes, steal to order etc. I’ve just looked on line and it seems there were 130.500 car thief’s 2022/3 but that’s a big improvement over 20 years, in 2002/3 there were 307,000

If public charging networks could identify and track EVs that would be very neat.
Born 77 kw. V3. DCC Beats Heat Pump Firestorm
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

Shahev wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:41 pm Reviving this thread to see if anyone has heard of Cupra Birn thefts as I've see ID3s appear on list of EV theft league table.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/moto ... c-27786973
I’ve seen that list before and not sure how they can even qualify it as a news when you look at the actual numbers involved.

There were 5 ID.3’s nicked in 2023 and 27 VW EV’s in total!
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

Shahev wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:27 pm
Boris7 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:18 am We have the same, but that’s pretty easy to avoid, then we have more “professional” types that steal to break for parts, use for other crimes, steal to order etc. I’ve just looked on line and it seems there were 130.500 car thief’s 2022/3 but that’s a big improvement over 20 years, in 2002/3 there were 307,000

If public charging networks could identify and track EVs that would be very neat.
Well that can’t be far away, Electroverse are currently rolling out plug and charge, once it’s up and running you just plug into a public charger, it recognises your car, charges it and then charges your payment method. Therefore tracking EVs via the charging network can’t be far off.
Currently it only works with IONITY, and to be honesty it didn’t work for me, even though the car is registered but the technology is there and it will be rolled out at some point I’m sure.
Born1978

Post by Born1978 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:53 am No need for a Faraday bag - codes change following every use of the key and the keys don't transmit when still. You can't intercept the signal with a scanner and reuse that code later.
I'm using a Faraday pouch and it's a little bit of a drag taking the key in and out - but keyless entry is pretty damn convenient so I don't want to disable it.
How can I be sure that I don't need the pouch?

I get the part about it not being activated when not being moved (I suspected this was the case but had no way to prove it).
But what about when it's in my pocket (and I'm moving) and my car is parked nearby (like in a supermarket car park) - is it vulnerable then? I think the codes are relayed directly so the replay protection won't help.
Or is this scenario a little too far fetched and I shouldn't worry about it? :)
Born V3
Hypervolt V3
Octopus Intelligent Go