Range issues during cold snap

All CUPRA Born related discussions
shayster20@gmail.com

Post by shayster20@gmail.com »

My v2 charging to 100% was showing 245 miles this morning at a temp of -4 lost 25 miles as soon as heater turned on, and it’s averaging 3.5 whilst driving so range would be just over 200 worst mine has averaged is 3.3 which would give 190 miles give or take ,
my long term average over about last 6 months of driving has fallen during cold snap from 4.8 down to 4.3 but I’m more than happy with these figures

JBorn

Post by JBorn »

I've got a Cupra Born V3 77kWh Tech L... no range boosting extras

I've been convinced that it's a faulty battery when I read of other people getting well over 200 miles in their 58kWh variants... although could be a mixture of my ACC speed, driving style and regular charges to 100% with a lot of my journeys taking around 85 - 93% of the charge... and the time that I leave which is 4:15am in the morning. I always find I get way better range on the way back at 4pm - 8pm with regular traffic and involuntarily slipstreaming vehicles in the outside lane.

I find every degree C I put my AC down saves about 6 - 8 miles range in cold weather - With no heat pump. I found 17.5deg C to be the comfortable medium with heated seat and steering wheel.

Driving back on Friday the temp was ranging between +2 to -1.5deg C... @74mph for 169miles, last 20 miles on A road absolutely thrashed it, had 7% left with 14 miles showing on the dash. - so total range of about 204 miles, probably could have stretched it to 210 - 212 if I'd driven sensibly for the last 20 miles.

RIP WLTP 341 miles.

The most I've ever seen my Range-O-Meter read is around 275 miles, I think I actually achieved close to that once on a hot summers day Essex to Yeovil on the M3, all on motorways, somehow I got about 4.1mi/kWh.... Good job because I stopped at about 8 "charging spots" with various faulty, queuing or non-existent charge spots, arrived at destination which amazingly had a charger which they let me use. Fun times... started out with 73% charger, and arrived with 4% and didn't know there'd be a charger to use 😄

Never seen anything like that again since though, it usually reads about 225 - 265miles in normal temperatures. Although to be fair, the car has learn with 50% of my driving being ACC at 82 - 85mph on the M5, the final 50% on the M6 with ACC at 74.

Screenshot of halfway to London from Taunton on the M4 on Tuesday afternoon. Sorry that one was the least blurry I could find... my other pics disappeared into the black hole that is my onedrive camera backup folder

20231128_184054.png

Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

TBH Jakester I don’t think your journey/driving profile is Born friendly, you need a longer range imo

Take a look here https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars ... ctric-cars

Your journey/driving profile will kill that Born battery in no time mate.
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

Boris7 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:30 am TBH Jakester I don’t think your journey/driving profile is Born friendly, you need a longer range imo

Depends what you mean by kill the battery? His journey type and speed is not ideal for an EV, but if it works, then when not. Regular charging to 100% will cause battery degrade of course, but how much?
I believe it's not as bad as people make out. One of my friends was given an I3 by BKW for free to test battery degradation, over the past 5 years, he drives from south Germany to Switzerland every day, 125km each way, the car had a range of just more than that, he charged at home 100% and at work 100% every day for 5 years, car had over 350k km last year until someone smashed into it in a Service station at 5am in the morning in the snow. BMW analyzed the battery and it had lost less than 5% efficiency! Different manufacturer/battery etc I know but not a bad result.
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
JBorn

Post by JBorn »

Boris7 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:30 am TBH Jakester I don’t think your journey/driving profile is Born friendly, you need a longer range imo

Ponk wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:50 am

Depends what you mean by kill the battery? His journey type and speed is not ideal for an EV, but if it works, then when not. Regular charging to 100% will cause battery degrade of course, but how much?
I believe it's not as bad as people make out. One of my friends was given an I3 by BKW for free to test battery degradation, over the past 5 years, he drives from south Germany to Switzerland every day, 125km each way, the car had a range of just more than that, he charged at home 100% and at work 100% every day for 5 years, car had over 350k km last year until someone smashed into it in a Service station at 5am in the morning in the snow. BMW analyzed the battery and it had lost less than 5% efficiency! Different manufacturer/battery etc I know but not a bad result.
I was looking at the Polestar 2 last night, it seems a good option... although I think insurance would probably be an issue...

Tesla Model 3 LR is the best option really, but once again... insurance!

When I bought the car it was the longest range option along with the similar ID3 77kWh... I went with the Cupra Born because why not... it was a similar price and similar insurance and looks nicer 😄

The thing is, I reckon that I would always charge to 100% if I'm going 190 miles one way regularly, yes it's bad to charge to 100%, it's also bad to regularly deep discharge the battery as this leads to increased resistance which slows charging times. According to the Cupra manual, you should start driving as soon as possible after charging to 100%, online research has suggested the damage is caused when *storing* at 100% - so maybe it's not so bad if it's for short periods before you drive it? If you set the car for a departure time, you can lost that 20% after 40 minutes or so of driving.

cupra battery preservation.png

I would have thought I'd be best charging to 100% at both ends - Home and HQ which both have AC chargers (7kW home, 22kW work) to avoid DC charging on the way.

The whole point of the 77kWh version is that it's the long range variant anyway... if you are designing a long range car to be used for long range trips, people are going to charge it to 100% before long trips all the time! The 58kWh version I gather is more for people who can easily fit the range around their commute or regular usage and charge at home overnight.

But I totally get where you're coming from, there's an interesting load of graphs here showing battery degradation at different charge levels, discharge, temperatures, etc which I think someone has already posted before on these forums...

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/b ... vehicle-ev

I only charge to 80% during the week for regular commutes to the office and such...
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

An interesting car review from Harry Metcalfe, if you don't know him, he is one of the old school founder/editors of EVO Magazine. He has a great Youtube channel.

The review below is of the Lotus Eletre, for winter range issues (and his biggest dislike of the car), it's interesting to watch the video from 21:30 mark onwards. It just shows that even car guru's are still shocked by the winter range (or range in general) and the fact that car and app software grossly exaggerates estimated winter range.

Cheers
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
JurassicBorn

Post by JurassicBorn »

I am a bit confused by the do not charge to 100%.
Totally agree it's not a good thing on a permanent basis and a big NO if the car is going to be left, but as @Jakester said it must be better using 7kWh chargers both ends of the journey rather than any fast charger.

However the 77kWh battery is actually a 82kWh battery which VW restrict the usage of down to 77kWh so even charging up to 100% you are really only charging up to around 94%...so VW Group are being very cautious in my opinion, I would regularly slow charge my old 62kWh Leaf up to 100% and it had almost no battery degradation after 3 years.
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh
2023 Porsche Boxster GTS 4.0
2018 Porsche Macan GTS