Battery Issues?

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
JBorn

Post by JBorn »

Can we see a photo of the car display behind the steering wheel, showing battery percentage, range, short term and long term trip computer memory? (Press "OK" on the steering wheel to switch between Short Term, Since Charge, and Long Term memory. Otherwise go into the e-Manager menu).

We need to see this before we can help you determine if your car has achieved Lemon status 🍋

Bullshit about 45kWh battery, CUPRA is not importing those into the UK yet. A lot of the Cupra dealerships I have visited so far are full of staff who will tell you utter BS to get you out of their hair.

The app is wrong 50% of the time, I never use that to look at the range. See further down with screenshots explaining this.

When you talk about range, motorway miles are so much different to 3 - 5 mile trips, especially in colder weather. When I do the short 3 mile trip to work, I often get anywhere from 1.9 - 3.4mi/kWh when it's colder. On warmer days, I can get up to 4.2mi/kWh if I drive like an old fart.

If you were getting 200 miles out of your Zoe then you will definitely get 250 - 280 miles in your 77kWh Cupra born. Maybe more, if you're a sub 70mph kind of guy...

Happy to compare stats to confirm if your battery is a lemon... I will need to see stats from your car dash or the e-Manager menu in your infotainment screen, the app means nothing unfortunately. Look at this screenshot below showing the range. This is realistic with my style of driving. The next screenshot shows the same car a few days ago, when the app decides it's going to screw with you. Sometimes you close the app and re-open it, and you have allegedly lost 100 miles of range. Just ignore it, work on about 2.1 - 2.8 miles per percentage (or 1.8mi/percent if you happen to set cruise control at 95mph) ... varies per temperature, speed, heating, length of trip vs energy used to heat car and battery - so if you have 50% charge, you have about 110 - 140 miles of range based on one long trip.

Unless you are a WLTP robot though, you'll probably never get anywhere near the 341 miles claimed range

BTW, if you precondition the car without it plugged in, this can use up to 4% of battery - as I discovered the other day!

Hope that helps!

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-15 at 20.45.57_389466ff.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-15 at 20.45.57_7606474b.jpg

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Winter range is really poor, especially for a series of really short journeys. If its under 3C, the 2 mile return trip for the school run is around 2 miles per kWh. Cabin and cabin heating draws as much power as driving it.

70-73mph on the motorway at 0-3C for a lingish journey and you'll get 2.9 miles per kWh with some light cabin heating. If you brave the cold with no cabin heating but just set the seat and steering wheel heating, you might manage 3.2 miles per kWh. In Summer you should be pushing 4.0 miles per kWh on the motorway and around the doors.

If you're getting nowhere near those, unless you've got your cabin heating maxing out, there's something very wrong with your car. You definitely have a 77kWh battery and not a 58kWh one? Shouldn't need to ask, but you never know.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565