battery pre-heating possibility on a born 77KW ?

All CUPRA Born related discussions
jipibi92

Post by jipibi92 »

Hello,
I just used a Tesla supercharger yesterday on the hightway (here in France) ,and was surprised to read only a 55 KWh rate. :?
Asking Tesla drivers at the station, they informed me of their Tesla battery pre-heating facility automaticly engaged while approaching the supercharger station...
giving them a much more higher charging rate than mine... :shock:
Is there a way on my Cupra Born (a VZ 77KW model) to engage such a battery pre-heating before charging 'on the road'?
Thanks.
sept 2023 dark grey Born 170kW with 77kWh battery - Paris France

mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

At the moment the Born software doesn’t support battery pre-heating / conditioning. It’s something rumoured to be part of a future software update, but I’ll believe it when I see it. Even if it were added, you would need to be using the built in navigation and route planning for it to know that you were approaching a charging stop. I personally have found the Cupra navigation software to be a complete disaster compared to Apple / Google Maps, ABRP etc.
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

It’s got a battery heater but nothing you can do will make it turn on. The ID3 with early software has it come on in cold weather and it used up loads of power on short trips so was disabled. As stated above it’s rumoured to be coming in an update but I doubt it will happen.

From a video I watched on YouTube it appears the battery heater will come on in very low temperatures but it only does so to get the battery to 0c if it’s colder than that.
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

I’m pretty sure the battery heater does come on when you start the car “from cold” even in not particularly cold conditions. Otherwise I don’t know what else would cause consumption to shoot up to 40kWh / 100km for the first couple of kms of a trip in even moderately cold conditions (10-15C here in Lisbon).
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.
Glasofruix

Post by Glasofruix »

I've seen a 99Kwh/100km on mine, so there's definitely something going on there :D
Pederb

Post by Pederb »

We need that up here in freezing Sweden
-2023 Cupra Born 77kW with Beats-
jipibi92

Post by jipibi92 »

mluisbrown wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:18 pm I’m pretty sure the battery heater does come on when you start the car “from cold” even in not particularly cold conditions. Otherwise I don’t know what else would cause consumption to shoot up to 40kWh / 100km for the first couple of kms of a trip in even moderately cold conditions (10-15C here in Lisbon).
Oh Yes ! I understand now the reason of such extravagant "startup consumption", I saw too with my Born...
sept 2023 dark grey Born 170kW with 77kWh battery - Paris France
s3akr

Post by s3akr »

If you're charging at home, doesn't the battery heater kick in and heat the battery if outside temps are low ? I see better early journey mileage when I start my journey having already heated the car on the charger, rather than having heated the car not plugged in.
2022 Born V3 77KW - Aurora Blue, Beats, DCC, Heat Pump, Cargo Pack, 20" Blizzard Copper Wheels, Tech Pack M, Aurora Blue Seats
2021 Macan GTS (too many options)
2012 Cayman R (the right options)
1998 Boxster 2.5 (full poverty spec + 15 bad owners)