Intelligent Octopus schedule charging not working!!

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
BornMike

Post by BornMike »

HELP, I have a Cupra Born V2 and a Project EVA-07S-SE Pro and Intelligent Octopus are my energy supplier.
I am set up with Octopus and as they recommend, I plug my car in at any time, a green light shows on the charger and car and when it goes out after a few minutes I receive a charging schedule on my Octopus App. it's usually along the lines of 23:30 to 12:30. 1:00 to 2:00 and so on, BUT it doesn't come on.
I have spoken to Octopus and after some nonsense information they said to turn off "smart Charging" but I can't find any reference to this within the car or Octopus. I have all car schedules off, and I tried it with charging 23:25 to 7:00 and it still didn't work.
Any advice as to what buttons should be on or off would be much appreciated.

Thanks BornMike

UniqueUser1

Post by UniqueUser1 »

I can help with the Octopus part about disabling smart changing. To do this complete the following:

1. On the Octopus app, click on your profile on the top-left of the screen.
2. Click on the devices button
3. Click on the Intelligent Octopus Go link
4. Scroll to the bottom and find the Accounts section
5. Turn off the Smart Charging toggle

Once this is off, you should be able to use a schedule set via your car or charger, but make sure it’s either or and not both as this will cause conflicts.
Cupra Born V2 | Geyser Silver | Tech L Pack
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

One thing I’d check (as it caused this exact issue for me) when you plug in you will almost certainly be outside of the 23:30 - 05:30 low rate schedule.
When you plug in at let’s say dinner time the car should start to charge, after a few moments it will stop charging (I assume this is what you mean by the green light)

At this point.
1. Do you let it charge or do you stop it as it’s not in the cheap time window? If you do so, that will be the issue, it has to charge for a while to communicate with Octopus before they then turn it off and initiate the schedule, once you press stop the octopus schedule won’t come back on.
2. If 1. Doesn’t apply check the chargers mode, if you have solar then make sure the charger isn’t set to give priority to solar only.

I have a Zappi and Solar with house batteries and when first using intelligent Go made mistake as in 1,

I then found eco+ and intelligent Go meant I had to effectively NOT stop the charger from the app during solar charging, I have to simply unlock the car and disconnect the cable, if I stop the charger then I have to change its settings again before intelligent Go will kick back in.

If you have a pin lock on the charger then check that’s not timing out. I should be set to enable the charger once connected and unlock and stay enabled until disconnected again rather than time out and need the code again.
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

Boris7 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:52 am One thing I’d check (as it caused this exact issue for me) when you plug in you will almost certainly be outside of the 23:30 - 05:30 low rate schedule.
When you plug in at let’s say dinner time the car should start to charge, after a few moments it will stop charging (I assume this is what you mean by the green light)

At this point.
1. Do you let it charge or do you stop it as it’s not in the cheap time window? If you do so, that will be the issue, it has to charge for a while to communicate with Octopus before they then turn it off and initiate the schedule, once you press stop the octopus schedule won’t come back on.
Just for info:
I have found that with a Zappi charger, I can stop the charge via the Cupra app (not the charger) and the IO Go charging still goes ahead.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
BornMike

Post by BornMike »

Thanks for the suggestions but still not working.
I plug in at about 18:00 and the green light comes on my car and charger which suggests I'm connected to Octopus, it then goes out without me doing anything and I get a charging schedule on my Octopus app. It seems then that all is well but when it came to the start time nothing happens, so last night I unplugged the car and plugged it back in again and it did work from 23:30 to 12:30 the first charging session but did not work for the second charge time which was 1:30 to 5:30.
Does this make any sense??
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

alanjs wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:02 am
Boris7 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:52 am One thing I’d check (as it caused this exact issue for me) when you plug in you will almost certainly be outside of the 23:30 - 05:30 low rate schedule.

At this point.
Just for info:
I have found that with a Zappi charger, I can stop the charge via the Cupra app (not the charger) and the IO Go charging still goes ahead.
That’s interesting as in my experience completely the opposite is the case.
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

Boris7 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:25 pm
That’s interesting as in my experience completely the opposite is the case.
There doesn't seem to be any consistency with the charging processes. The first time I tried IO Go, it did an immediate short charge, stopped itself, then worked as per the planned schedule. The next time I tried it, the charge just kept on going until I stopped it on the Zappi and the planned schedule did not work.
The last couple of times, it did an immediate charge, did not stop until I used the Cupra app to stop it, then it worked perfectly as per schedule.
I guess we all just have to keep trying different options until one of them works for our particular car and charger set-up. :)
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
Perki

Post by Perki »

Have had the same issue with Octopus- check you don’t have weak wifi connection to charge point box - this appeared to affect my charging regime
MikeyP

Post by MikeyP »

I'm charging my Born via a Rolec charger and the EVEnergy app, and have the Octopus Go Green tariff - 9p/kWh for four hours a night - except I can't use it.

My experience is the same as BornMike. I have no "Routines" programmed on the car, and have it set to 80% charge max. I have set a 4-hour charge period as my smart charge setting on the EVEnergy App.

Whether I select "only charge off peak" or not, the charging does not kick in at the start of the cheap period, it just doesn't charge. EV Energy say they can see the car is suggesting it's "offline" but if that was true, I wouldn't be able to see the live battery data on the MyCupra app. EV has said "The connection we have with your car was made when you added the car to the app and linked it to the Cupra app, so this is the connection that we would remove. This would force the app to rely only on the connection to the charger, and hopefully be more reliable". Has anyone else tried this?

Weak phone signal might be the core problem.
dickyp

Post by dickyp »

Interesting for sure.

So my setup is a V2, OHME home pro, IO. It was a struggle to get it setup first ie all things talking.

So I plug in and charge starts and doesn’t seem to show signs of stopping, how long does the charge run for while IO create the schedule? 1min, 10mins?

I pause the charge via the OHME app and wait, nowt appears on IO then I restart and then the schedule appears. May now try the stop via car depending on time frames.
£50 each if you use this link to sign up to Octopus - https://share.octopus.energy/cliff-teal-535