Strange noise when driving

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
BORN SPURS

Post by BORN SPURS »

Had the baffling hollow rumbling tyre noise on a car with the run flat tyres.
Turned out to be a very large nail through the tyre tread and up into the tyre
The large nail was sealing the tyre so was not going flat.
They removed the nail at the tyre centre, fixed puncture and bingo noise gone.

peterwsanders

Post by peterwsanders »

I have rattle seemingly coming from the dashboard. It's been there from new and the Crewe dealership has been unable to find or fix it.
Has anyone else experienced this?
tuppaware

Post by tuppaware »

Sure it's not the AVAS? Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System
Which at low speeds sounds a bit like a jet engine
Aussie Owners review of the Born 2023
https://youtu.be/2tMEUtKVnOg
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

I fixed 1 rattle, and have an intermittent 2nd rattle.

1st rattle appeared to be from area of lights control, tapping any of that plastic made is rattle, after a bit of searching, found the source was the join in the plastic where the foot well light is (around my left knee). Behind the light is a metal part where I could jam some packaging foam in to tension the plastic, and the noise was gone (the is a LHD car so may be different design in UK)

2nd rattle is in the area of plastic behind the touch screen, right in the middle, there is a perforated part to the right of the HUD unit that when you tap it, it rattles. No way to tension it to fix it (that I can see). This rattle only happens after a certain time driving and in certain temperatures. Had it quite often a few weeks ago, but it's gone for now. Rattles over the tiniest road imperfection!
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
spinevans

Post by spinevans »

Hi!

Im entering this noise hunting thread as an id3 owner and can tell that my 2022 model is making rumbling noise. Its hearable over 10-20mph and is vibration related rather than rotary. Pitch the same regardless of speed only noise-level increase as you go faster. Also you slightly feel it in the stearing wheel.

I used to have a volvo v90 with a similar noise and on that car i changed everything in order to find the noise. Different tyres, new suspension, damping, new wheel bearings.. nothing helped.

I will hopefully find the reason for the noise in my id3 2022.

I did a 4wheel alignment today and the rear was way of. So my tires have been abused. But since im not the first owner i cant tell for how long.

The noise is similar to this
SabreDentist

Post by SabreDentist »

I've had two rattle/squeak issues on my Born, which have been rectified as follows.

1. A clicking sound in the rear, which I traced to the hatch. I adjusted the bump stops on the hatch as they were allowing a little movement to occur in the hatch when going over undulations. The correct way to do this is to adjust them so that you can just pull a piece of paper out from under the bump stop without tearing it. Silence!

2. A squeaking from the seatbelt anchor, which appeared in warmer weather. The flexible anchor can squeak against the seat material in certain climates with movement in the vehicle and the occupant in the seat. Fixed by spraying PTFE spray onto a clean rag and treating the anchor. Silence!

Overall, I'd say the Born is a pretty quiet car but this does mean that you will want to fix rattles and squeaks if they do occur!
colpix

Post by colpix »

Hi all

Since David bumped this, I will add a short update.

My noise is much less that before, to the point I hardly notice it, or that it doesn't bother me. Some roads make it worse that other still. I don't know if it's weather related or tyres worn in a bit, or a bit of both. Also bear in mind, the noise others hear may not be the same noise I hearing.

My car is booked in on Thu for winter tyres. I do my own MX5 myself, but I decided to pay the money to store at garage and they change them, otherwise I can see my little jack struggling with this 2 ton beast, and my lower back packing in as I lift each 20" wheel!

So it will be interesting to see how it sounds after that, I will report back.

Note, my mates Cupra Formentor, has the same noise in the background, hidden behind the normal ICE car noises, and in Scotland recently, I hired an X1, and it had the same noise too.

Cheers
Hello,
I'm bumping up the topic because I have the same problem as in the audio recording posted by @Ponk.
Is it known what could be the cause?

@Ponk on summer or winter tires does anything change? Do you have any suspicions as to what might have caused the noise reduction in your case? Do you have a service opinion on these issues?
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

Hi

I changed to summer wheels last week, and the noise returned. Not as bad as when the tyres were new, but it's still there. Normal town and A road driving is mostly fine, I only here is on slightly rougher road surfaces (rough as in not billiard table smooth), actually the worst is the Autobahn, but I do not do many miles on that just now, but will do in the next months.

If it annoys me enough this season, I will change the tyres next year. Especially since my wife noticed the noise too soon after changing. I already looked a prices and keep an eye for when they are cheapest, over winter perhaps. Looking at Pirelli P-Zero (PZ4) 235/40 R20 96V, 202 a pop...ouch! Not a massive choice in that dimension. More choice with 45 profile. The noise reduction is maybe just luck with the tyres wearing a bit. My car is 1y 5 days old, has 8.5k km on it, summer tyres are about 6k km of that. Maybe they get worse as the temperature warm up, been 20 deg C recently and wasn't too bad.

PS, if you google other car make forums (like Tesla) for Pilot Sport EV with foam, there are a quite a few reports of weird cavity/drone noises, people are blaming the foam as putting "normal" tyres on seems to solve it.

My winter tyres were dead quiet (Winter contact 850P, I think) apart from the tiny tread noise from the tread sipes, but you could tell this was a tread noise, the Pilot Sport sound likes a resonating noise from the front end.

If I have any more useful info, will let you know. Cheers
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.