Massive battery recall check - TPI 93Q2

All CUPRA Born related discussions
pardonator

Post by pardonator »

Mine gets picked up today and a loan Born dropped off to me.
Really gutted as i only picked up on the recall due to this forum after collecting mine from Cupra Gloucester. They really should have checked and done the recalls before selling the car as it's not a new recall as such.

Hoping it's not gone for too long

CupraV3

Post by CupraV3 »

My car recently went in to have the panoramic roof roller blind fixed. As part of the visit they updated the software and the receipt also says "S-Replace battery module". NOW WE HAVE BIG PROBLEMS!

Problem: The car came back from Cupra fully charged, however the first time connected it to my home Easeee One charger caused the charger to report a 'ground fault' error straight away and not charge. At this point I was unsure if it was the car, cable, or charger but suspected the charger. However since then it has tripped 6 public chargers which have either errored or gone to out of service before even beginning to charge the car. In fact the only chargers that seem to be able to charge the car without tripping are Pod Points at Lidls. This left us in a very precarious situation yesterday with 4 of us in the car and a baby, over a hundred miles from home, trying to find a charger that the car wouldn't trip.

Bonus rant: This is a fault with the car no doubt, but I now realise how horrible the public charger experience is. So many different types, different apps, top ups, fixed cable, no cable, out of order, in use, etc. Standing in the wind and rain reading the instructions to find out if you need a top up card, an app, scan a QR code and then locating the name of the charger. Then when you find the app you need, download it, register, add your payment details. Oh and the fixed cables can be really heavy! How are old people supposed to cope with all of this?? I honestly felt like a right mug standing there with my phone! I would switch back to a petrol car if I didn't have a home charger as the public charging experience is miserable.

Anyway I'll update on the battery situation once Cupra have inspected it, but I'm really concerned it's not safe in its current state. They seemed pretty chilled about the entire thing when I rang them and didn't seem concerned that its knocking chargers out of order, so I guess it'll be fixed in good time :D

EDIT: Simplified the wording.
Last edited by CupraV3 on Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cupra Born | V3 | Aurora Blue | e-Boost | 20" 'Blizzard' Wheels | Panoramic Roof | Easee One Charging Robot
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

Your post confuses me.

You had a battery cell/module replaced which has now made your car faulty. You are unable to charge it from your low power home charger, took your family away and are surprised high power chargers are not working either, but it’s the infrastructures fault?

Or have I got it completely wrong?
Last edited by Ponk on Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
daern

Post by daern »

I'm also confused. It's a bit like having a blocked filler nozzle, but blaming the filling stations for pouring petrol on the floor every time you try to fill up.

I appreciate that it's an awful situation and there's no question that public charging infrastructure isn't all it could be, but your first plan of action should be to get that car back to the dealer as quickly as possible, get a loan car from them, and get it fixed!
CupraV3

Post by CupraV3 »

Ponk wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:10 am Your post confuses me.

You had a battery cell/module replaced which has now made your car faulty. You are unable to charge it from your low power home charger, took your family away and are surprised high power chargers are not working either, but it’s the infrastructures fault?

Or have I got it completely wrong?
You haven't got it completely wrong, just mostly wrong ;) I said "I love the car, but I am really sick of the EV infrastructure. This is a fault with the car no doubt, but I realised how horrible the public charger experience is" which was just a rant about how bad public charging can be now that I have experienced it.

As for your comment about taking my family away when there appeared to be a fault. I was originally under the impression that the home charger was likely at fault until it started tripping the majority of public chargers I visited as well.
Last edited by CupraV3 on Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cupra Born | V3 | Aurora Blue | e-Boost | 20" 'Blizzard' Wheels | Panoramic Roof | Easee One Charging Robot
CupraV3

Post by CupraV3 »

daern wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:34 amI appreciate that it's an awful situation and there's no question that public charging infrastructure isn't all it could be, but your first plan of action should be to get that car back to the dealer as quickly as possible, get a loan car from them, and get it fixed!
Now that I know it's the car at fault (probably caused by the battery work) that's exactly what I plan to do. Unfortunately being Cupra they don't have any available appointments for weeks if I need a courtesy car. This has left me in a bit of a pickle considering it only went in originally to fix the roller blind :D
daern

Post by daern »

CupraV3 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:11 pm Now that I know it's the car at fault (probably caused by the battery work) that's exactly what I plan to do. Unfortunately being Cupra they don't have any available appointments for weeks if I need a courtesy car. This has left me in a bit of a pickle considering it only went in originally to fix the roller blind :D
If the dealer won't sort you out, you need to get onto corporate and get a complaint in. They've returned your car effectively unusable and need to arrange you a replacement car for you until it's fixed. This is not a case of a broken switch in the car - it's fundamentally unusable and they are on the hook to resolve it.

If they can't supply a loan car, they need to hire you a car until yours is roadworthy again. Don't accept no for an answer!
CupraV3

Post by CupraV3 »

daern wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:09 pm
CupraV3 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:11 pm Now that I know it's the car at fault (probably caused by the battery work) that's exactly what I plan to do. Unfortunately being Cupra they don't have any available appointments for weeks if I need a courtesy car. This has left me in a bit of a pickle considering it only went in originally to fix the roller blind :D
If the dealer won't sort you out, you need to get onto corporate and get a complaint in. They've returned your car effectively unusable and need to arrange you a replacement car for you until it's fixed. This is not a case of a broken switch in the car - it's fundamentally unusable and they are on the hook to resolve it.

If they can't supply a loan car, they need to hire you a car until yours is roadworthy again. Don't accept no for an answer!
You’re right, I’ve spoken to them again and I can take the car in Monday. If they resolve it within a day or so fine, but if it’s a long term job I’ll be doing the things you suggested.
daern

Post by daern »

CupraV3 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:13 pm You’re right, I’ve spoken to them again and I can take the car in Monday. If they resolve it within a day or so fine, but if it’s a long term job I’ll be doing the things you suggested.
Good news. Fingers crossed for a quick fix!
jerryhawkins

Post by jerryhawkins »

Just had an update call from my dealer. My car has been diagnosed and they now have everything needed to complete the work except for one thing... the 'special' paste required to reseal the battery case. Seems this is a nation-wide issue. My dealer has three cars in the Southampton BCC now waiting for this paste to complete the work. Apparently Cupra are adamant that ONLY this paste can be used. Now waiting for an ETA for this. Frustrating!
V2 58kwh AFV 230 Auto e-boost. Qasar grey. 19" Typhoon wheels, copper details. Heat Pump.