Drop in range

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Markgp

Post by Markgp »

Had my V1 for just over 2 months, just perfect!!!.
But the range has dropped after an 80% charge from 242 to 213.An 100% charge was giving me circa 300 range
I am charging during the day time so no cold temperature to affect it.
I wonder that last week for the first time we used public gridserves with an higher kw charging capacity ,would this have had an effect?

Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

No way will a 58kWh V1 give 300 miles of range. With it being new the GOM won't have had chance to set a realistic range.

Isn't the stated WLTP range around 240 miles?
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-July 22 - VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
Markgp

Post by Markgp »

I wanted some help and info not sarcastic comments.

Regards
martinto8

Post by martinto8 »

Where did you get your conclusion that the Born would achieve 300mile range? WLTP states 265miles
Cupra Born V2 58kWh - Silver. Tech L
Porsche Macan MY23 GTS - Crayon
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

A change in range at 80% from a previous charge can't really be taken in isolation.
If you compared the 242 V 213 range indication; indication being the key word, did you travel the same roads at the same speed with same ambient the same cabin settings and same load? It's called the Guess O Meter for good reason.
You are only 2 months in but you shoukd still get a feel for how things really stand from your Long Term Average Miles/ kW. Scroll through those screens and look at the figures.
If you are looking at a range of almost 300 Miles that sounds like you are extrapolating a projection from a favourable 80% range indication. I occasionally see 232 Miles at 80% which projects to 290 miles but if you undertook a long trip you would never really obtain that. After 2 ID3s and now the Born I use the LTA to calculate my average 100% range. That for me is currently 4.3 miles/kW so 4.3 x 58 = 250 miles at 100%.
You need to get more data under your belt before reading too much into a change in range.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
rusty-away

Post by rusty-away »

I'm only a couple of weeks in and have noticed a drop in range, but I know why. I am driving faster now that I'm used to the car. I'm driving more like I did when I had an ICE vehicle because I have confidence that I will be able to charge the vehicle when I need to. To start with I was being overly conservative. That said, I have been able to ascertain several things:
  • Everything affects range
  • Ambient temperature is making much more of a difference than I anticipated
  • Traffic conditions make a huge difference. In my case, most of my travel is done at 110 kph. If I slow down for traffic I get better range
  • Even carrying the shopping home makes a difference
  • Wind direction and speed make a significant difference
  • Driving style makes a difference
In short, I've figured out what my absolute worst case is and I calculate my charging regime to suit. Give the car time and, as the previous poster says, use the long term figures as a guide.

Cheers

Rusty
shayster20@gmail.com

Post by shayster20@gmail.com »

I regularly see range predictions of 280 -290 miles and have on two occasions having fully charged seen 301 I mainly drive in city and b roads at the speed limits always in B mode and due to weather not needed heating on , I put windows down rather than using AC , I have driven the car locally in the city and achieved 285 with room to spare my long term average consumption over 3000+ miles bounces between 4.8 and 4.9 ,
there was an mileage calculator on the born website once where you could change the driving conditions etc and that would calculate range in excess of the 265 miles so if you drive carefully and in/on the right conditions you can beat the 265 which I have done most months since owning the car , yes I’m expecting a severe fall now winters coming but I charge via octopus energy at just over 9p a kw at night so it’s a win win for me. Picture was on route to garage for new software update I had to laugh as I started the journey with less miles than showing but 315 not bad on a 58kw battery . And this morning 10th sept the estimated range is 317

IMG_2614.jpeg

Last edited by shayster20@gmail.com on Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:05 am, edited 6 times in total.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Markgp wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:45 pm I wanted some help and info not sarcastic comments.

Regards
I'm not sure where the sarcasm is?

You asked a question I gave a reply.

Life's too short, have a nice day.
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-July 22 - VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

I’m amazed what some people here are getting, though most of my driving is A B or Motorway. I’d have thought unless you are driving down hill following a lorry 300 miles would be impossible. I doubt anything is wrong with the car. It’s probably just a change in driving style or different roads. If you were doing loads of town driving then did a motorway trip that would do it.

At the moment my range is easy to calculate, just double the battery %, so 200 miles on a full charge. If it says 33% it’s 66 miles.

So many things can affect the range. Even rain knocks about 10% off.

At 7.5p/kWh I don’t really try to get loads of miles out if it though. It’s so cheap I’d rather just enjoy driving it, within reason.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

TheBornIDentity wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:30 pm I’m amazed what some people here are getting, though most of my driving is A B or Motorway. I’d have thought unless you are driving down hill following a lorry 300 miles would be impossible. I doubt anything is wrong with the car. It’s probably just a change in driving style or different roads. If you were doing loads of town driving then did a motorway trip that would do it.

At the moment my range is easy to calculate, just double the battery %, so 200 miles on a full charge. If it says 33% it’s 66 miles.

So many things can affect the range. Even rain knocks about 10% off.

At 7.5p/kWh I don’t really try to get loads of miles out if it though. It’s so cheap I’d rather just enjoy driving it, within reason.
It's not that amazing in reality. I can get through an 80% down to 40% series of very short trips over 3 to 4 days topping 5+miles/kW. If that's all I ever used the car for then yes, my range 100%-0% would be around 300.
If that's all I ever used the car for I wouldn't have bought the Born. I did a round trip to Luton Airport on the M25 and M1 and averaged 4 miles/kW at 65mph. In the Winter if I'm ferrying our Grandkids about I might see 2.8 miles/kW which is why I'm pleased with my LTA of 4.3 since June 2022.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE