User profiles and CarPlay

All CUPRA Born related discussions
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

Is it possible to tie a specific iPhone to a user profile for CarPlay? Ie: My profile only knows about my phone and my wife’s profile only knows about hers?

Right now it seems both phones are in both profiles and there seems to be no logic as to which phone it connects to for CarPlay (if both phones are in the car), which is pretty annoying.
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.

daern

Post by daern »

Android Auto user here (concept is the same, phones are just better ;-) ) - In the end, we just disabled wireless connection and relied on plugging in to use. This is a double benefit - you never forget to do it (so it doesn't flatten your battery on a long trip), and you always know which phone you're going to connect.

My V2-spec car doesn't have wireless charging, so I guess if you had this, this might be a step backwards for you.
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

daern wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:00 pm Android Auto user here (concept is the same, phones are just better ;-) ) - In the end, we just disabled wireless connection and relied on plugging in to use. This is a double benefit - you never forget to do it (so it doesn't flatten your battery on a long trip), and you always know which phone you're going to connect.

My V2-spec car doesn't have wireless charging, so I guess if you had this, this might be a step backwards for you.
What he said crept the android bit
davmatjo

Post by davmatjo »

daern wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:00 pm My V2-spec car doesn't have wireless charging, so I guess if you had this, this might be a step backwards for you.
Honestly the cable is just straight up better than wireless imo. It's not unheard of for the phone to discharge whilst wireless charging and using wireless android auto. On top of that the phone gets really hot.
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

This was covered elsewhere turn the Bluetooth off and use a cable, it’s much better, even if it does feel like a step backwards.
WoT

Post by WoT »

If you mean, use the Cupra Born user to select a phone - afaik that doesn't happen. As mentioned elsewhere, selecting a user for the Born doesn't do anything, or nothing I can see, so we just use one user.
I use Android. The car offers to pair via Bluetooth if it finds a Bluetooth signal - regardless of the Born's user selection.
58kwh v2 Dec 22
Cupra83

Post by Cupra83 »

Hi i have a cupra born ,i go in the car the mobile connect to the android auto without any problems,but if i leave the mobile inside the car i go out from the car for ex 5 mins ,i go back again but the android auto then didn't want to connect,i switched off the Bluetooth but nothing,can anyone help me?
sbp262

Post by sbp262 »

Born V2: I use Android Auto. The recurrent problem that I have is that, if my wife and I are both in the car [we have the same Android mobile], the car too often does not present the page that allow me to select which 'phone should be used and Android Auto simply will not link to either 'phone. On these occasions, Android Auto remains unavailable unless we both get out of the car, lock it, then I get back in and re-power [ie only 1 phone present in the car] and Android Auto will link to that 'phone, then my wife can get back in!...but even that sometimes does not work. It did that to me yesterday on a 100 mile journey and remained unavailable throughout the entire journey. On other occasions, Android Auto will suddenly drop the link and thereafter fails to find either 'phone: we even de-powering one of the 'phones, but Android Auto often does not then link to the remaining Bluetooth signal. It is as if Android Auto hunts between the 2 Bluetooth signals and then gives up.
I have not tried the wired option, or the 'switching Bluetooth off then on' option highlighted by others [which I will certainly try], but my main question is, is there any way that I can force the page that presents the mobiles on offer for linking? I cannot find an icon to do so [the Android Auto icon only appears once the link has been made] . I hate not being able to either trigger or control Android Auto linking myself.
Android Auto [& Google Maps] is great but, for me in my Born, it is very unreliable.
Bazzachazza

Post by Bazzachazza »

Hi sbp262,

I’d suggest you are causing a conflict by having the 2 regular user phones in the car at the same time. Sadly it seems the software is dumb and doesn’t know to offer you a choice on which to select for connection. Simple Bluetooth would allow both to be paired simultaneously. Wireless CarPlay is likely confused. I’d suggest using wired to which ever one you want as primary.

Re multiple user profiles.

I had this active at the start in my Leon PHEV. This allowed you to tailor your experience individually with the digital dash and having the main screen set up tge way you prefer.

Unless you want your shortcut buttons in different places or the ambient lighting a different colour etc I suspect it’s just a waste of memory and would be better allocated to other stuff.