Battery Capacity & Computer Reset

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
UniqueUser1

Post by UniqueUser1 »

Hi Everyone,

After charging to 100% I’m still only seeing 196 miles of range. This seems weird considering the warm weather we now have. I was expecting something north of 220 miles as a minimum.

1) What are others seeing for 100%?
2) Is there a way to reset the computer or recalibrate it?

Many thanks!
Cupra Born V2 | Geyser Silver | Tech L Pack

alanjs

Post by alanjs »

I've never charged to 100%, but at 80% charge I get 153miles, so calculates to about the same as your 100% figure.
If you look at the forum, you'll find that there are quite a few threads about oddities and discrepancies when it comes to the reported figures.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
Savage

Post by Savage »

In this warm weather 100% reported to me 220 miles.
I would guess that it goes from previous mileages obtained from other charge sessions, so will take a couple of charges to catch up ?
BTW I have air-con always on, set around 16 when it is cooler, and 18 in current climate.

Just like ICE cars, mileages rarely, if ever, reach claims, and driving style and driving conditions vary for different owners.
Cupra Born V2 58KWh AFV 230 Auto E-Boost with Tech Pack L in Geyser Silver.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

So much depends on driving style, Motorway use v B roads, air conditioning as in heating or cooling that has to be delivered from the batteries.
I have been for 2 weeks on local runs, no AC and seeing 260+ for 100%
That's 211 at 80%
The best I've hit is 278 for 100%.
Maximum run around 12 miles
Dave
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
gavp

Post by gavp »

I got my car new in September 2022, across the winter the best mileage I ever saw was 200 miles, usually 190 miles in the 0°c weather, at a 100% charge. I assumed this was due to the cold and that once the summer arrived I'd see over 200 miles on max range (somewhere atleast a little closer to the unattainable 260 miles they advertise)

To my surprise in this recent wave of over 20°c my car decreased in range to 170 miles at best, I took it in for servicing to get checked as it didn't quite add up. They advised nothing was wrong with the car, and that they'd reset something and to drive it for 500 miles and it should re-calibrate.

I've since drove it for another 1000 miles and achieved 4.6 miles/kwh average, (with some seriously pedestrian driving always using long range mode, and passing out from the heat not using any A/C) yet my range still shows a max of 170's, dropping down to 160's after driving for 10 minutes.

Suffice to say no where near 200's and no where near what I'm paying for, so back in for servicing tomorrow, let's see what they come back with, I will be in touch with customer services if the result is unsatisfactory as the car is not fit for purpose.
V2 58kwh E-Boost, Battery Melt Down
daern

Post by daern »

V2 58kW here. Currently an 80% charge is reporting around 200 miles (196 to be precise) so I'd expect 240-ish from a 100% fill up,, but I've not done this for a week or two and don't have recent data. Been pretty consistent, although clearly winter dropped this significantly (100% charge tended to be around 200 miles)
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

gavp wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:00 pm I got my car new in September 2022, across the winter the best mileage I ever saw was 200 miles, usually 190 miles in the 0°c weather, at a 100% charge. I assumed this was due to the cold and that once the summer arrived I'd see over 200 miles on max range (somewhere atleast a little closer to the unattainable 260 miles they advertise)

To my surprise in this recent wave of over 20°c my car decreased in range to 170 miles at best, I took it in for servicing to get checked as it didn't quite add up. They advised nothing was wrong with the car, and that they'd reset something and to drive it for 500 miles and it should re-calibrate.

I've since drove it for another 1000 miles and achieved 4.6 miles/kwh average, (with some seriously pedestrian driving always using long range mode, and passing out from the heat not using any A/C) yet my range still shows a max of 170's, dropping down to 160's after driving for 10 minutes.

Suffice to say no where near 200's and no where near what I'm paying for, so back in for servicing tomorrow, let's see what they come back with, I will be in touch with customer services if the result is unsatisfactory as the car is not fit for purpose.
4.6 miles/kW over the last 1,000 miles equates to around 267 miles for a 100% charge.
58kW x 4.6 = 267
Hard to explain why the range is projecting a much lower range. Mine is also projecting a lower range recently despite also having a long term average of 4.2/kW since purchase in June last year.
Some recent short runs on days of 26 deg C have returned 5.2 miles/kW but this has not been enough to project a higher range.
I rarely use A/C cooling out of choice as it aggravates sinus and eye problems for me.
Overall I don't take a great deal of notice of the GoM. If My average is 4.2 Winter/Summer I can expect around 120 miles from 50% SoC and know I will top up once I get nearer to 40%.
I doubt that there is anything wrong with your car. More an unfortunate range of data made worse by the algorithm behind the GoM.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
gavp

Post by gavp »

Daveion wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:24 am
4.6 miles/kW over the last 1,000 miles equates to around 267 miles for a 100% charge.
58kW x 4.6 = 267
Hard to explain why the range is projecting a much lower range. Mine is also projecting a lower range recently despite also having a long term average of 4.2/kW since purchase in June last year.
Some recent short runs on days of 26 deg C have returned 5.2 miles/kW but this has not been enough to project a higher range.
I rarely use A/C cooling out of choice as it aggravates sinus and eye problems for me.
Overall I don't take a great deal of notice of the GoM. If My average is 4.2 Winter/Summer I can expect around 120 miles from 50% SoC and know I will top up once I get nearer to 40%.
I doubt that there is anything wrong with your car. More an unfortunate range of data made worse by the algorithm behind the GoM.
Sorry to clarify. The driving data was telling me that I was averaging 4,6 miles/kwh, but in reality the projected range of 160/170s was what I was getting out of the car (with 60% usage from 100 down to 40% getting me less than 100 miles). Hence the numbers weren't adding up, as you say based on the what the car is telling my miles/kwh average is I should be achieving well over 200 miles in range from the car, but irl it's no where near that. The guys at servicing have passed the issue to "Technical" and apparently they'll come back with some ideas tomorrow, as I'm the first person at my dealership to have encountered issues with the range.
V2 58kwh E-Boost, Battery Melt Down