Setting charging rate

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Wiredog

Post by Wiredog »

Is there an easy way to set the charging rate? I have a Pod Point home charger and solar panels and I want to set the charge rate to around 3kWh instead of the current 7kWH I'm getting from the charger. I'm aware it will take longer to charge but that should allow more of the power to come from the panels which have a maximum output of about 3kWh. Thanks.

TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

You can turn on reduced AC charging in the car settings which will reduce the rate to about 4kW.
Wiredog

Post by Wiredog »

TheBornIDentity wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:56 pm You can turn on reduced AC charging in the car settings which will reduce the rate to about 4kW.

Nice one, I'll give that a try.
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

Don’t know about pod point but on my Zappi there are 3 basic settings
ECO + will only charge from excess solar, so if the home batteries are full any incoming solar goes to the car
ECO mode will continually adjust output from solar/home batteries to charge the car
In either of these modes you’ll get between 1-3KWh
FAST Will charge at the chargers / cars highest rate so in my case 22KWh for many cars but only 11KWh for the Born

I suspect (but don’t know for sure) that pod point has the same options albeit with different names.

I’ve only done about 1000miles in the Born so far, but it hasn’t cost a single penny to run, When the suns out I use ECO+ and when the sun goes down I access the house’s needs and if possible swop to ECO,
Wiredog

Post by Wiredog »

Boris7 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:53 am Don’t know about pod point but on my Zappi there are 3 basic settings
ECO + will only charge from excess solar, so if the home batteries are full any incoming solar goes to the car
ECO mode will continually adjust output from solar/home batteries to charge the car
In either of these modes you’ll get between 1-3KWh
FAST Will charge at the chargers / cars highest rate so in my case 22KWh for many cars but only 11KWh for the Born

I suspect (but don’t know for sure) that pod point has the same options albeit with different names.

I’ve only done about 1000miles in the Born so far, but it hasn’t cost a single penny to run, When the suns out I use ECO+ and when the sun goes down I access the house’s needs and if possible swop to ECO,

Thanks Boris. I have a feeling that the Zappi might be the better option for integrating with solar but unfortunately that wasn't an option for me when fitting the charger. Hopefully the pod point will have something similar although I suspect it will take a bit more digging as it isn't immediately obvious how you do it.
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

I have to say I had a look at pod points instructions on line and I couldn’t see such options.

But it may still be in the app.

When I looked into solar/home batteries I did a requirement’s including a car charger that worked with the solar package and then got 3 quotes, I can only say that they all quoted for the Zappi, maybe there was a reason for this.

I’ve been away all week and my car as well as my neighbours Tesla have both charged from the Zappi without buying any electricity from the grid and both with no issues.

Hope you find a resolve that doesn’t mean changing the charger.