A/C and the Born

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

I will order a Born at some point in the future. I’ve been doing all sorts of research and specs etc.
So, a couple of questions please.
First, I know A/C will take a lot of energy and I suspect people just limit usage but does this damage the A/C system or do EV’s use a different type of A/C system? In my current self charging Hybrid, A/C is on 24/7.

Second, considering the spec, does anyone have both the ‘L’ Packs? Seems like they overlap with somethings but individually offer different options.

Thanks

Shahev

Post by Shahev »

A/C uses less battery if combined with a Heat Pump, but the value is not clear as the VW Heat Pump is not as efficient as originally marketed.
Born 77 kw. V3. DCC Beats Heat Pump Firestorm
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

The cooling aspect of A/C uses very little energy as it is a heat pump but the heater does use a lot. Unless you need the range in the winter or do lots of public charging it would take a very long time to get your money back adding a heat pump for the heating.
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

I know A/C will take a lot of energy and I suspect people just limit usage but does this damage the A/C system or do EV’s use a different type of A/C system? In my current self charging Hybrid, A/C is on 24/7.
AC when cooling doesn't take that much energy, just needs energy to drive the compressor pump, same as in any car.

On the Born the settings for A/C are a bit misleading as they use A/C to mean both the entire climate control system (whether you are using A/C or not) and also whether A/C cooling is enabled. See the screen from the manual below. The top left "Air conditioning" switch is for the entire climate control system. If it's switched off you have nothing, no fan, no cooling and no heating. In the panel on the right, the A/C switch controls whether the AC cooling system is on or not. So you can have the climate control system working, but without AC cooling if you want to.

CupraAC.jpg

2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

mluisbrown wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:03 pm
I know A/C will take a lot of energy and I suspect people just limit usage but does this damage the A/C system or do EV’s use a different type of A/C system? In my current self charging Hybrid, A/C is on 24/7.
AC when cooling doesn't take that much energy, just needs energy to drive the compressor pump, same as in any car.

On the Born the settings for A/C are a bit misleading as they use A/C to mean both the entire climate control system (whether you are using A/C or not) and also whether A/C cooling is enabled. See the screen from the manual below. The top left "Air conditioning" switch is for the entire climate control system. If it's switched off you have nothing, no fan, no cooling and no heating. In the panel on the right, the A/C switch controls whether the AC cooling system is on or not. So you can have the climate control system working, but without AC cooling if you want to.
Perfect, thanks