80%

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Greefy67

Post by Greefy67 »

Sorry if it's already been answered.
But why are people only charging their cars to 80%?
Thanks

Cliffjp

Post by Cliffjp »

It is bad for the battery to charge it to 100% unless you are imminently going on a trip requiring full charge.
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

There was a great post on here with a useful analogy for lithium-ion batteries. It was to think of them as a ballon being “inflated” with charge.

Inflating (charging) to 100% frequently and/or leaving them full for more than a few hours stretches them and the reduction in elasticity is analogous to impairing the batteries ability to hold a charge.

Similarly, rapid inflation (charging) all the time also has a detrimental affect on the ballon (battery).
Greefy67

Post by Greefy67 »

Thank you.
I hopefully take delivery of my Born on Tuesday. I have a pod point solo 3 installed at home so it's time for that vertical learning curve. :)
daern

Post by daern »

Greefy67 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:05 pm Thank you.
I hopefully take delivery of my Born on Tuesday. I have a pod point solo 3 installed at home so it's time for that vertical learning curve. :)
Don't worry, it's really not that hard :)

Generally, we have ours set to charge to 80% (set on the car) and try to recharge before it gets to 20% (normally we keep it between 50-80% anyway, so we have practical range), but I'll charge it to 100% if either there's a need (e.g. a long journey so I can avoid charging away from home), or if I get a sniff of free charging ;) I don't particularly worry about it.

I did make a bit of a conscious effort to leave it parked up at 50-60% when we went away for a fortnight, though. Reckoned this was probably best and it didn't need me to do anything more than not charge it the night before we left.