"Slow charge" option in My Cupra app

All CUPRA Born related discussions
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

Does anyone know if the "Slow charge" option really optimises battery life? I switched it on via the My Cupra app, and I couldn't find the equivalent option in e-Manager in the car. I have an 11kW charger at home and it seems to reduce charging rate from around 10kW to about 5kW.

IMG_5C082108273D-1.jpeg

2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I'm sure it does. There are various degrees of optimising from minimising rapid charging, DC charging in general, AC charging with the onboard charger unit is better for the battery than DC charging. So how far do you need to take optimising. If you have an 11kW charger reducing that to 5kW will be a further degree of optimising.
I'm sure not accelerating hard, avoiding very cold running or not driving hard would also be optimising measures but to what degree battery degradation is reduced is difficult to pin down.
I would think the difference in degradation charging at 5kW V 11kW is marginal.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

The slow charge option on the Cupra gives me a 7mph charge, similar to a granny charger. Rarely useable if you want to keep charge sessions within a cheap tariff window of 4 or 5 hours. With the ID3 that option gave more like 12 mph which was more useful.
The40Watt

Post by The40Watt »

Is this option in the app, the same as the option in eManager to "Reduce charging power in alternating current" ?
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

The40Watt wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:57 pm Is this option in the app, the same as the option in eManager to "Reduce charging power in alternating current" ?
I believe so. All it actually seems to do is half whatever charge rate a AC charge point can supply. Seems pretty stupid to me. Would actually make more sense if it worked on DC charging. 100 kW would wear out the battery far more than 50 kW.