AC charging fault

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Familyguy1982

Post by Familyguy1982 »

Had my new Born V1 all of 2 days and it's already been recovered back to my nearest dealer, Cupra Southampton (65 miles away) with the 'Electric drive not working correctly, please visit workshop' error on dash, but more worryingly it wasn't charging on my PodPoint solo charger or on other public AC chargers, but was charging on rapid (DC) chargers.

It would just get stuck on the initial 'handshake' with a continuous flashing white light on the port, then displaying a single flash of the red light after about a minute, it would do this about 3 times, then it would just display a solid red light on the port and the car display would say 'please check the charger' or something to that effect. The locking pin was engaging correctly so it wasn't that.

Cupra tech has had a quick look and apparently thinks it's a problem with the car's onboard charger which might have to be replaced so I'm hoping the dash error is related to this.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with their Born?

I'll keep this post updated with any progress.

QuasarBorn

Post by QuasarBorn »

Many other owners have had electric drive faults pop up. It's either an issue with the motor or if it still drives, there's a problem with the high voltage heating system. Hope you get it sorted quickly!
Familyguy1982

Post by Familyguy1982 »

QuasarBorn wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:32 pm Many other owners have had electric drive faults pop up. It's either an issue with the motor or if it still drives, there's a problem with the high voltage heating system. Hope you get it sorted quickly!

Thanks, I wasn't so worried about the electric drive warning as the car still drove the same with the warning showing, and I've seen a lot of people say the warning tends to go away after a while, but the car not charging via AC is obviously a major inconvenience!
Familyguy1982

Post by Familyguy1982 »

Just a quick update on this, my car is now repaired and back with me in under 2 weeks.

Apparently it was a faulty Onboard Charger Control Unit (I understand there are a few different Control Units on this vehicle) rather than a problem with the charger itself, which was causing the vehicle to not charge on AC and also display the 'Electric drive not working correctly, please visit workshop' error.

Not a great start to Born ownership but let's hope the car behaves and starts to redeem itself now.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Familyguy1982 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:13 am Just a quick update on this, my car is now repaired and back with me in under 2 weeks.

Apparently it was a faulty Onboard Charger Control Unit (I understand there are a few different Control Units on this vehicle) rather than a problem with the charger itself, which was causing the vehicle to not charge on AC and also display the 'Electric drive not working correctly, please visit workshop' error.

Not a great start to Born ownership but let's hope the car behaves and starts to redeem itself now.
Hope that's the first and last problems you see.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Familyguy1982

Post by Familyguy1982 »

Daveion wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:34 pm
Familyguy1982 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:13 am Just a quick update on this, my car is now repaired and back with me in under 2 weeks.

Hope that's the first and last problems you see.

Thanks, me too! 🤞🏻
Fguilla3

Post by Fguilla3 »

I just got my Born in replacement of an ID3
I have the same issue with charging but no error message about the lectrice drive

The charging pod is flashing blank and going red or not,

Can you update if the change of the charge control unit has fixed your problem?
Thanks
Familyguy1982

Post by Familyguy1982 »

Fguilla3 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:45 am I just got my Born in replacement of an ID3
I have the same issue with charging but no error message about the lectrice drive

The charging pod is flashing blank and going red or not,

Can you update if the change of the charge control unit has fixed your problem?
Thanks
Yes, my charging issue is now fixed and has not returned.
I think the error message about the electric drive was just a coincidence, the car probably threw this as it knew something was wrong.

You don't have a routine on your charger or on your Born that could be causing a conflict possibly?
aussieBORN23

Post by aussieBORN23 »

Just had exactly the same diagnosis. Similar error messages on the drivers info screen. First one for Australia. :evil: :evil:
Mine happened when charging at home with my 7.4kW Wallbox, never happened before. Waiting on the replacement part (charging module) to arrive from Germany.
antoniomapinho

Post by antoniomapinho »

I had that message pop up within the first month of ownership, difference being everything was working normally as far as I could tell. Took a month and a half to have the car back.