New Born Arriving Early March; Some Trepidation...

New to the CUPRA Born Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

Yes, very few EV hatchbacks, strong competitor would be the Megane, but it’s got a very high SUV style waistline so smallish side and rear windows and the boot seems to only have a competitive on-paper capacity because it’s so deep and therefore has an enormous load lip! That alone counts it out for us, not good for dogs. Obviously there's the MG4 also, looks nice and is aggressively priced.

Agree with @monkeyhanger, if you stroke and prod some areas of the Born’s interior some of it will be harder, but it has clever texturing and most of it is softer in any case. Fabulous wheel, stalk controls and gear selector feel fine. Seats are fabulous. They were a little cheap in the back, could have had air vents in there too. Great design though, all in all the interior is upside I’d say.

WoT

Post by WoT »

I just thought of another one for new delivery: the spare wheel/compressor/whale snot accessories. Mine came with nothing: "call the AA". So i bought a pump and 2 cans of whale snot just in case.
Worth checking whether dealers are just forgetting them
58kwh v2 Dec 22
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

WoT wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:17 pm I just thought of another one for new delivery: the spare wheel/compressor/whale snot accessories. Mine came with nothing: "call the AA". So i bought a pump and 2 cans of whale snot just in case.
Worth checking whether dealers are just forgetting them
Only Borns that ship with summer tires include the air compressor and repair kit. Otherwise you get the bare minimum.

What was included in your trunk compartment?
un_born

Post by un_born »

If your born doesn't have anything in the boot for puncture repair, then your Born will be fitted with self seal tyres. These tyres will automatically plug any holes that would be normally repaired with the 'snot'. So if the seal seal cannot seal the hole automatically, the hole would be too big for snot too.
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

Our Cupra dealer SMC is saying delays on delivery. I assume because of limited car ferries and lorry drivers in the UK. Our Born left factor 22 Feb and we're expecting it get to dealer now end of March.
Born 77 kw. V3. DCC Beats Heat Pump Firestorm
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Shahev wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:37 am Our Cupra dealer SMC is saying delays on delivery. I assume because of limited car ferries and lorry drivers in the UK. Our Born left factor 22 Feb and we're expecting it get to dealer now end of March.
Give your car a very good look over before you collect- had a nightmare with SMC Woking - absolute bunch of lying sheisters.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

un_born wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:31 am If your born doesn't have anything in the boot for puncture repair, then your Born will be fitted with self seal tyres. These tyres will automatically plug any holes that would be normally repaired with the 'snot'. So if the seal seal cannot seal the hole automatically, the hole would be too big for snot too.
Is it correct that Born on 18" (UK "V1" spec) non-self sealing tyres comes with a "mobility pack comprising of a 12v compressor and a bottle of gunk? That was certainly the case with the ID3 on 18" wheels, but VW have pulled that mobility pack about 6 months ago for the ID3, I'd expect the Born to follow suit.

Had a puncture on my Born with its 19" self sealing Conti Ecocontact 6 tyres. The puncture was on the tread (just) but the self sealing film would not seal it. A can of holts tyre weld slowed the air escape rate just enough to get to the Halfords garage 7 miles away with only one air top up. One thing you'll notice if you do have a puncture is the Ecocontact 6 tyres are incredibly thin compared to most tyres, and that self sealing film looks like it is only across the central 90% of the tread blocks.

If your car comes with no mobility pack, it is definitely worth buying a can of Holts tyre welding and a 12v compressor - just make sure the power cord is long enough to reach the front tyres from the 12v plug in the boot..

Ben88

Post by Ben88 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:45 am
Ben88 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:54 am
Elea4 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:41 pm My 2 cents: I received my Born in November with Software version 3.2 and I had zero issues with registering the app. Never had any settings reset.

Once in a while the app is says my car is offline or that the doors are unlocked (when they clearly aren't) - other than that it's been OK. Other than turning on the heating 10min before jumping in the car, I don't use any routines so as a casual user I have no complaints.

My 360 degree cameras occasionally take a minute to go online - but the only thing that kinda gets on my nerves is when I switch to reverse and it randomly pops the car back into neutral for some unknown reason. User error? Also not really a fan of the hard plastic interior compared to my father's Mk 7.5 Golf R.

It's a pleasure to drive. Happy owner here.
The interior is a downgrade from a golf, I didn’t like the shape of the window glass in the born that jagged corner lol.
Cost cutting plays a role when trying to manufacture a ICE car and an EV at the same time.
IMO it’s much better then the ID3 though, I did hear that VAG are revising the materials used in the ID3 so maybe the cupra might get a change.
I’ve got a golf GTI, so I know the hard plastic was a painful pill to swallow haha.
In years to come the interiors will get better, I test drove the Volvo C40 and the interior was quality, I’ve seen hard plastic in BMW’s!
Which Golf are you comparing to? The MK8 Golf interior is quite a downgrade vs the MK7, and even the 7.5 saw a little bit of cost cutting. As someone who doesn't stroke or prod the door cards, I think they've done a decent job with the Cupra door cards in that even though they're a little harder than the softest top bits of a Golf door card, they look like they'd be soft in that they're fairly matte in appearance (rather than glossy). The Golf is full of hard plastics below the eyeline. I do think that VAG interiors in general are getting a bit cheaper. The T-ROC's seems like an experiment by VW to see how cheap they can get away with.

That dash window is the reason why the ID3 and Born have such a big interior - that dash is set a lot further forward than in a Golf. I do think the Birn is pretty much the best looking EV out there right now, there are very few EV hatchbacks out there right now, most are SUVs and even some of the saloon looking ones are quite odd looking.

I really don't see why marques cheap out on interior, the cost of making it better with material choices is pretty low, but has a huge impact on perceptions of quality.
I had a mk7 golf then a mk7.5 when I went from the mk7 to the mk7.5, I noticed the doors on the mk7.5 were lighter then the mk7 and the mk7 had under seat storage. So mk7.5 was the beginning of the cost cutting lol.

In regards to the window I’m talking about the driver and passenger windows, when you put the windows down the shape of the glass has a jagged corner and I’m not a fan of the aesthetic it has. I have issues lol

I also like the felt material in the doors bins on the mk7 & mk7.5 to relieve the bottle rattling sounds which the cupra doesn’t have, it’s just a few little things here and there which IMO is a downgrade, also the glove box and no sunglasses storage compartment but amazon sells sunglasses compartment that you can fit onto the grab rails in the roof lining.

I’ve not got one as I don’t have my cupra yet but I’d like to know if anyone has it and if it’s any good.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ you'll be wanting a black one for the anthracite headlining of the Born.

Ben88

Post by Ben88 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:33 pm ^ you'll be wanting a black one for the anthracite headlining of the Born.
They do a black one