OBD11 dongle recommendation

All CUPRA Born related discussions
mangobay

Post by mangobay »

Hi all
I’m looking for a recommendation please for a Bluetooth OBD dongle that will work with the OBDeleven app on iOS and the Born.

I have an oldish dongle (iCar vgate) that I bought from Amazon a few years back. Seems to work fine on other cars but the Born doesn’t recognise it (power light but no Bluetooth).

What are others using please? The official OBD eleven one seems to be £50plus. Thank you.

Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

If you want to use OBDeleven software, then you need an OBDeleven dongle. Simple as that.

However, most other software like CarScanner, Torque, or even A Better Route Planner isn't compatible with the OBDeleven dongle. Here's a guide for choosing such a dongle:

https://www.carscanner.info/choosing-obdii-adapter/

For giggles I got a 2 euro Elm327 OBD dongle supposed with Bluetooth 4 from aliexpress but it was unsurprisingly very limited in what it could report. At least it can read error codes so it's permanently in the glove box in case sh*t hits the fan and I want to see what's up.
mangobay

Post by mangobay »

Thanks very much looks really helpful.
Tbh I just want to set lane keep assist to last setting to ensure it never comes on and darkens my door again. I had assumed I need OBDeleven for that, but can it be done with other apps does anyone know? Thanks again.
Born2Ride

Post by Born2Ride »

I'm in Somerset with one. If you wanted to try things happy to help.
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

Just remember to back up all your settings first before "trying things" - I've read some little horror stories that resulted from people mucking about with settings using OBDeleven and suddenly all sorts of errors and error codes appear that couldn't be reverted without a sheepish trip to the workshop.
mangobay

Post by mangobay »

Thanks for the responses on this, and @Born2Ride for your kind offer. Im going to do a bit more research as would be good to have a decent unit to use on other cars as well. Cheers
un_born

Post by un_born »

For the price you can't get better than OBD11.

Had mine since 2020 when I discovered my old VCDS would longer work with the new chassis VW cars. I had the VCDS for over 10yrs and at the time it cost £285.

So £100 odd for the a OBD11 pro license is a bargain. Having used it on 3 cars so far, it's more than paid for itself.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

OBD11 is definitely far more expensive than it used to be. I paid £35 for my old dongle and £32 for a lifetime Pro license in 2019, now Pro is an annual subscription and the Dongle is pretty dear too. You used to be able to earn 5 credits a day watching a few ads, now you pay for your credits. Still far cheaper than a VCDS cable from Ross tech.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
mangobay

Post by mangobay »

As an update on this I bit the bullet and ordered an OBDeleven. It’s definitely pretty good. Lane assist setting sorted! 👍Lots of other stuff to (carefully) play with too.
Born2Ride

Post by Born2Ride »

mangobay wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:12 pm As an update on this I bit the bullet and ordered an OBDeleven. It’s definitely pretty good. Lane assist setting sorted! 👍Lots of other stuff to (carefully) play with too.
Can you share a bit more detail? I know it's posted elsewhere but good to know from someone here who has done it and not had issues. I'm keen to try Travel Assist but it seems less people have actively tried it.