HV Battery Protection on or off???

All CUPRA Born related discussions
dav0001

Post by dav0001 »

Does anyone know if the HV Battery Protection (which I think is actually to protect the 12v Battery) should be set to on or off in the phone app??
I asked Cupra support and as usual they were useless and gave me the usual answer of ask your dealer.

I have had mine set to off since I bought the car a few months ago.

SmartSelect_20230222_102655_My CUPRA.jpg

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

dav0001 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:53 pm Does anyone know if the HV Battery Protection (which I think is actually to protect the 12v Battery) should be set to on or off in the phone app??
I asked Cupra support and as usual they were useless and gave me the usual answer of ask your dealer.

I have had mine set to off since I bought the car a few months ago.
I'm not sure myself. It's a good question.
Given the description it gives I was surprised it was even an owner choice! Until recently mine was switched off but wanted to do something in settings in the car one day and couldn't unless protection was enabled. Can't for the life of me remember what that was. I don't understand just how important the battery option may or may not be.
Anyone else?
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
davmatjo

Post by davmatjo »

It seems badly explained but here's what I understand it to say:

With "Use HV Battery" off, the car will go to sleep as much as possible to save power as the capacity of the 12V battery isn't infinite, and staying connected all the time would drain power too quickly. The HV battery will remain disconnected most of the time unless you are in the car or it is charging.

With "Use HV Battery" on, the HV battery will be used more often to keep the low voltage battery topped up, this allows the car to remain connected more often as the capacity of the HV battery is naturally huge compared to the 12V battery. This has the downside of using more energy and using energy from the HV battery, reducing the available range.

As to what you want I guess it's personal preference, if you don't want your range to drain when you're not using the car then leave it off. I do think that with it on you might find that you don't have to wait for that up to 5 mins delay for commands to be sent to the car from the app (charging, AC, etc.) as it will be connected more often, though I haven't tested this
dav0001

Post by dav0001 »

Thanks I will switch it on and see If I notice anything different. I doubt it will make the range much worse it is already pretty low.