Cupra Born Pet Hates

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

It just leaves a few drips on what is likely to be a dirty back end when the rear window needs a clean, makes sense to me. Yep, the ID3 design is good and being higher gives a slightly better view. On the other hand there were a few times with ours when it failed to open or close and made me think it was a problem waiting to happen, don’t favour one solution over the other really.

Also it took longer to close after reversing into a parking space than it took me to get out and round the back to open the boot and let the dogs out, they had to wait a few seconds which is ages in dog time 😆

Gear selector on the right absolutely fine by me, but agree on the windscreen wipers, poor that.

RG22

Post by RG22 »

I completely agree that the ID3 solution is far superior but personally I find an extra piece of wet bumper

20230211_165637.jpg

worth it to be able to see clearly. You are going to get water on the boot lid whenever you use the rear wiper anyway.
WoT

Post by WoT »

WoT wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:27 pm Certainly. After 3 months I still hate the occasions when i need 100% for say 7am. And the chances are always 50/50 on whether it will happen. That really is the big one.
I have learned to tolerate the poor infotainment system and the idiotic window controls. I don't hate the voice control system because i have learned that it isn't a control system.
I think it is the e-manager routines and settings which are screwing up my overnight charging. The app and the emanager don't present things consistently and neither is too reliable.
58kwh v2 Dec 22
Bloodborn

Post by Bloodborn »

I dislike that the heated steering wheel comes on every time I drive. I think it’s due to updates which reset it to come on each time.

The shudder through the steering column when making tight turns. This problem is a fault and according to other discussions, will be fixed in due course.

An older gripe that seemed to get fixed recently was the dark reversing camera and the fact that a banner at the top would cover 1/3 of the image.

The central locking coming on when driving over 15mph - it always means I have to unlock the passenger door when picking up passengers. I changed the settings a few times but it comes back.

Lane assist that occasionally tries to slam me into a wall after going under low bridges where the lines recede to the side of the road.

Drips pooling onto car seats getting in when it’s raining (might be a normal thing but never happened on my old cars or it’s just a lack of roof rails).

Essentially I love the car but for these minor faults. Nippy, agile and comfy.

I am however going to trade in in October for a Porsche Taycan 4s. After reading “every” review on EVs, it’s the one for me.
daern

Post by daern »

Bloodborn wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:34 pm I dislike that the heated steering wheel comes on every time I drive. I think it’s due to updates which reset it to come on each time.
Mine does not do this.
Bloodborn wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:34 pm The shudder through the steering column when making tight turns. This problem is a fault and according to other discussions, will be fixed in due course.
Yup, get this, albeit only very, very occasionally. Not a biggy, but would be nice to get it sort.
Bloodborn wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:34 pm An older gripe that seemed to get fixed recently was the dark reversing camera and the fact that a banner at the top would cover 1/3 of the image.
Nope, never seen this.
Bloodborn wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:34 pm The central locking coming on when driving over 15mph - it always means I have to unlock the passenger door when picking up passengers. I changed the settings a few times but it comes back.
Yes, mine does this, but I'm not bothered and my Volvo does the same. Peace of mind for when my wife is driving. I guess there's a setting somewhere to cover it, but I've never looked.
Bloodborn wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:34 pm Lane assist that occasionally tries to slam me into a wall after going under low bridges where the lines recede to the side of the road.
Never had this, although it's quite a specific issues. The lane assist is, indeed, pretty worthless and I'd rather it just went away.
Bloodborn wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:34 pm Drips pooling onto car seats getting in when it’s raining (might be a normal thing but never happened on my old cars or it’s just a lack of roof rails).
I've not noticed this specifically on the Cupra, but it's definitely a thing on many cars since gutters were removed in the name of economy (fuel and build cost). The Born doesn't seem any better or any worse from any other car I've seen though.
Bloodborn wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:34 pm I am however going to trade in in October for a Porsche Taycan 4s. After reading “every” review on EVs, it’s the one for me.
I suspect it would be the one for me too, but it's hardly comparable with a Cupra Born, either in specs or (especially!) cost... ;)
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Me too. Taycan starts at £79,200.
With some extras you will be in the mid £80k or pushing £90k.
Very different cars.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Deleted User 490

The Born is an excellent car, as is the Taycan, but obviously miles apart in performance, range, charge speed, size and therefore not surprisingly price.

The Born having left hand drive wipers, no vents in the back, no lining in door bins or trim on rear doors and poor wireless charger reinforces it, but it is what it is and wouldn’t stop me buying a Cupra again. Neither would the simplistic and unreliable app.

What has nothing to do with the chasm in price in my opinion are the Born’s software issues compounded by Cupra’s inability or unwillingness to fix them. On mine they’ve fixed the new user settings problem, but the steering judder, heated steering wheel, volume when opening doors and non learning heated seats remain, no OTA updates in sight either. Definitely pet hates for me.
mangobay

Post by mangobay »

I’m very lucky to have access to a Born and a Taycan and if it helps, I smile every time I get in the Born and love driving it. Very different but both very good in their class for their own reasons!
Greefy67

Post by Greefy67 »

I've had mine a month.
Just a few gripes.
Heated steering while, don't like it, don't want it. cant get it to stay off.
User profiles. Pointless, doesn't hold any of the settings between users.
Carplay, or forget it. rubbish stereo. Suprisingly good speakers for the pauper option though.
swipe touch screen.
lane assist you can't get rid off that activly wants to kill me.
reversing camera that doesn't want to switch off until I'm out of the estate.
It's comfy, kinda pretty. And not a finished product.
Glad it's on lease though so I don't have to keep it forever.
The wife on the other hand loves it and won't hear a word said against it. :D
Deleted User 490

The reversing camera is a speed thing, once you’re moving forward above a certain speed it goes off. You can also switch it off yourself before that using the X top left of screen.