Does the born have 1 or 2 reverse lights?

All CUPRA Born related discussions
dav0001

Post by dav0001 »

Just noticed my born only has one reverse light on the passenger rear should it have two?

alex1337

Post by alex1337 »

Only 1, other is a fog light I believe.
Born V2 Vapour Grey
dav0001

Post by dav0001 »

Ah thank you
rusty-away

Post by rusty-away »

alex1337 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:48 am Only 1, other is a fog light I believe.
I guess if I finish reading the manual I would have found this out but, damn, that manual is heavy going. So much to learn! Thank you, for this answer to something that was bothering me too.

Cheers

Rusty
CupraCool

Post by CupraCool »

Manual? What manual?
JGriff

Post by JGriff »

There are two reversing lights, and two rear fog lights, but only one of each work. The really galling thing is that the opposite lights work in RHD and LHD markets, i.e. its a coding issue, and with the right coding it would be possible to have both reversing lights, and both rear fog lights working.
daern

Post by daern »

JGriff wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:14 pm i.e. its a coding issue, and with the right coding it would be possible to have both reversing lights, and both rear fog lights working.
IIRC, the regulations were changed a number of years ago such that fog lights on cars had to be single and not double, so they couldn't be confused with brake lights at a distance, which is why manufacturers have tended to put a reversing light on one side, and a fog light on the other in matching positions.

Without being too heavy, I suspect that changing the car configuration to illuminate both fog lights would effectively nullify the type approval and, I suppose, be a potential MOT fail in the future. Personally, I'd have been happier to see fog lights banished from cars as for every legitimate use of them you see, you'll see 100 cars that have forgotten to turn them off again when the visibility returns to normal and they are *awful* to follow at night...
JGriff

Post by JGriff »

Sorry daern, your suspicions are incorrect, This subject is covered by the The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, and in particular Schedule 11. This makes it clear that the minimum requirement is one lamp, but you can have two, but in the event of having two they must be a matched pair, i.e. identical in appearance and performance. But as far as the 'idiots' driving round with them on, when there is no need, I couldn't agree more!!!

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

SCHEDULE 11
PART I
Requirements relating to obligatory rear fog lamps and to optional rear fog lamps to the extent specified in part ii
1. Number:

One
2. Position–

(a) Longitudinal:

At or near the rear of the vehicle
(b) Lateral–

(i)Where one rear fog lamp is fitted: On the centre-line or off side of the vehicle (disregarding any sidecar forming part of a motor bicycle combination)
(ii)Where two lamps are fitted: No requirement
(c) Vertical–

(i)Maximum height above the ground–
(A)Any vehicle not covered by sub-paragraph (B): 1000 mm
(B)An agricultural vehicle, engineering plant and a motor tractor: 2100 mm
(ii)Minimum height above the ground: 250 mm
(d) Minimum separation distance between a rear fog lamp and a stop lamp–

(i)In the case of a rear fog lamp which does not share a common lamp body with a stop lamp: A distance of 100 mm between the light-emitting surfaces of the lamps when viewed in a direction parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle
(ii)In the case of a rear fog lamp which shares a common lamp body with a stop lamp: 100 mm
3. Angles of visibility–

(a) Horizontal:

25° inwards and outwards. However, where two rear fog lamps are fitted it shall suffice if throughout the sector so defined at least one lamp (but not necessarily the same lamp) is visible
(b) Vertical:

5° above and below the horizontal
4. Alignment:

To the rear
5. Markings:

An approval mark
6. Size of illuminated area:

No requirement
7. Colour:

Red
8. Wattage:

No requirement
9. Intensity:

No requirement
10. Electrical connections:

No rear fog lamp shall be fitted to any vehicle so that it can be illuminated by the application of any braking system on the vehicle
11. Tell-tale:

A circuit-closed tell-tale shall be fitted
12. Other requirements–

Where two rear fog lamps are fitted to a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 or to a trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1985 they shall form a matched pair.
sunpower

Post by sunpower »

Great input on the regulations. I wonder what they say about reversing lights? Personally I find one reversing light somewhat useless if I'm reversing at night time. I get more light from the (red) rear lights than from the reversing lights. Assuming the regulations don't prohibit it, why can't they turn on all 4 lights for reversing, as typically it is only for a short time and at low speed. I think even with all 4 lights on, it would still be poorly illuminated. And I dare say, "it's only software" to enable it.
JGriff

Post by JGriff »

From the statutory perspective there is no reason why all four lamps could not be turned on, and it is 'only' a coding issue.