Please help - born won’t charge at home

All CUPRA Born related discussions
84giggles

Post by 84giggles »

Ok thanks, I’ll get it into Seat in the first instance.

RKJM30

Post by RKJM30 »

I have the red light issue when connecting the Hypervolt 2.0 charger which is set to scheduled charge 0030-0430, this led to a night when the car didn’t charge correctly (went into emergency charging alternating red green light 1kw only).

An issue you might want to investigate is that the locking pin might not be re-engaging when the full 7kw is provided by the charger at the start of the schedule.

Have a look at the plug, on the left side there is a rectangular hole into which the pin engages to lock the plug into the car. You might see some light impact marks around the edge of the hole indicating the pin has tried to engage but missed the hole and couldn’t engage. The solution I was offered was to slightly enlarge the hole (using a small file) to ensure the locking pin engaged every time.

Hypervolt have not yet offered a software solution to the handshake leading to the red light when the plug is connected, but I have found a work around that keeps the plug locked into the car as follows:
1. Connect the charger to the car
2. Lock the car
3. Set the charger to charge now (override the schedule).
4. After the green light on the car starts pulsing, set the charger back to scheduled charge. The light turns white.
5. Check the plug is locked into the car. If not repeat the above process.
Note: if you unlock the car again for any reason, after relocking it you will have to go through the above process again.

This keeps the plug locked into the car while it is waiting for the schedule to start it might solve your issue.
Born V3-Tech L Heatpump
Hypervolt 2.0
Intelligent Octopus
TomMurray

Post by TomMurray »

I've just got a similar issue. After 18months ours won't charge at home but it does charge with the same cable at my work charger.

I just got someone to come round with their car&cable and my home charger works fine.

I think my conclusion is failing cable. So works on some plugs but not all. Also to note is that at home we often didn't get 7kw and it would drop to lower speeds then go back up. I assumed this was normal, but apparently not, and can be signs of a dodgy cable (or charger, or car though!).

Next step is to try my cable and charger with a different car, but my wife drove off in our car so couldn't try that.
Born2Ride

Post by Born2Ride »

Look carefully into the charger cable connector, use a strong light. Do the top two smaller female connectors look corroded or damaged? If so, that'll be the issue. Suggest you look at 3-pin chargers on eBay or Amazon, handy as a spare if you have this kind of problem and useful if you go away and can find a regular socket near the car.

Photo shows my charge connector that failed after several years being outside charging in all weathers.

20240128_211226.jpg

Neils

Post by Neils »

Had an issue that the car thought the charging cable was connected when it wasn’t and immobilised the car. Problem rectified itself in the time it took the RAC to attend. A big software update seems at the dealer seems to have rectified that but the car now fails to charge. I have a Wallbox charger. There’s no schedule on the charger. I have set a schedule on the car. Firstly I have to tell the car I want to charge only at preferred times every day. That shouldn’t be necessary. Then it seems if I leave the vehicle unlocked it charges. If I lock it it doesn’t.