Improvement points

All CUPRA Born related discussions
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

BORN AGAIN wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:03 pm The biggest gripe for me is the inability to be able to use the heating system on heat, with the fan only, independantly of the aircon. On my previous car, the car had the same type heating element, which could be used with the fan independantly, if so desired, This meant that you did not need to have the aircon on to run the heating system because the fan blew through the heating element and heated the air into the cabin. This also meant you could save up to 20 miles range on a trip in the winter by not having to use the range sucking aircon and fan to run the heating system to keep the car warm. The car still had it's auto cabin heat sensors that controlled the cabin temperature if you wanted.

Just a small point but it does/ did make sense...
You can run the heating without aircon- the terminology used would suggest otherwise, but unless you have "A/C" on within the climate screen, you're just heating and blowing air. When you turn A/C on, there's a bigger dent in your range. Either way, both methods are still aiming for a temperature endpoint to maintain, which in most cases will be more efficient than running 1/2 or 3/4 heat through the blower.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

BORN SPURS

Post by BORN SPURS »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:08 pm
BORN AGAIN wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:03 pm The biggest gripe for me is the inability to be able to use the heating system on heat, with the fan only, independantly of the aircon. On my previous car, the car had the same type heating element, which could be used with the fan independantly, if so desired, This meant that you did not need to have the aircon on to run the heating system because the fan blew through the heating element and heated the air into the cabin. This also meant you could save up to 20 miles range on a trip in the winter by not having to use the range sucking aircon and fan to run the heating system to keep the car warm. The car still had it's auto cabin heat sensors that controlled the cabin temperature if you wanted.

Just a small point but it does/ did make sense...
You can run the heating without aircon- the terminology used would suggest otherwise, but unless you have "A/C" on within the climate screen, you're just hearing and blowing air. When you turn A/C on, there's a bigger dent in your range. Either way, both methods are still aiming for a temperature endpoint to maintain, which in most cases will be more efficient than running 1/2 or 3/4 heat through the blower.
Monkeychanger, you seem quite sure about this! So please can you tell me step by step how you can get the heating to work without switching it on in conjuction with the aircon. I cannot find anything in the manual that tells me how to do it. Your help would be very much appreciated on this matter.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I'm inclined to agree with Monkeyhanger.
This may be different if you have a heat pump. Not sure.
In the main Climate screen on the right hand side it has an AC button. This enables the refrigeration compressor. If you select your temperature and fan speed you can disable the AC (compressor) separately. This means that you will be heating with the cabin resistive heater. Should the temperature rise beyond the set pont the AC will not run.
If you are in AUTO Climate the AC compressor is enabled but can't remember if it can be deselected.
I also sometimes run fan only. Again in manual mode select fan speed and LO with AC button off. In that setting you will bring outside ambient air into the cabin with a little recirc.
I think in previous posts on the same subject, may have been Monkeyhanger?, even when the AC compressor is not selected it will cycle minimally for reasons I don't understand.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Born2Ride

Post by Born2Ride »

You can run Auto mode with the AC button off. I've hardly used AC since collecting car in Nov.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

As Daveion said - I only press the A/C button if I want to be cooler than ambient, or if the windscreen mists up. There's always a low level of A/C going on, but it is very low - the difference between having A/C on or not is quite significant, but don't forget also, when heating in Winter, bringing in outside air at maybe 2C and heating it to 18-20C doesn't come for free, and depending on how you're driving, a significant amount of battery heating could be happening below 10C too.

BORN SPURS

Post by BORN SPURS »

Daveion wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:28 pm I'm inclined to agree with Monkeyhanger.
This may be different if you have a heat pump. Not sure.
In the main Climate screen on the right hand side it has an AC button. This enables the refrigeration compressor. If you select your temperature and fan speed you can disable the AC (compressor) separately. This means that you will be heating with the cabin resistive heater. Should the temperature rise beyond the set pont the AC will not run.
If you are in AUTO Climate the AC compressor is enabled but can't remember if it can be deselected.
I also sometimes run fan only. Again in manual mode select fan speed and LO with AC button off. In that setting you will bring outside ambient air into the cabin with a little recirc.
I think in previous posts on the same subject, may have been Monkeyhanger?, even when the AC compressor is not selected it will cycle minimally for reasons I don't understand.
Thanks alot Daveion this is just what I was looking for.
BORN SPURS

Post by BORN SPURS »

Chaps, thanks for all your replies to my heating question without aircon on, they were much appreciated. Different car manufacturers have different ways of doing it. My previous car which I owned for many years had knobs and buttons for manual and auto modes with heating/aircon, dead simple and I knew how it worked. Not had the Born that long and not used it much, only done a miserly 478 miles since picked it up end of October, and that includes 220 on first trip, so really I'm still sussing things out. Thanks again and I know where to come for advice now.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

BORN AGAIN wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:20 am Chaps, thanks for all your replies to my heating question without aircon on, they were much appreciated. Different car manufacturers have different ways of doing it. My previous car which I owned for many years had knobs and buttons for manual and auto modes with heating/aircon, dead simple and I knew how it worked. Not had the Born that long and not used it much, only done a miserly 478 miles since picked it up end of October, and that includes 220 on first trip, so really I'm still sussing things out. Thanks again and I know where to come for advice now.
Sent you a PM.
Regards
Dave
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Here's a newly discovered gripe for you...

The missus had my car today and got the low screenwash alert. Just gone to fill it. Popped the bonnet catch and the bonnet hardly moved - frozen to its seals , and with no overhanging lip to pull against, I'm going to have to wait for warmer weather to release it.

Born2Ride

Post by Born2Ride »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:10 pm Here's a newly discovered gripe for you...

The missus had my car today and got the low screenwash alert. Just gone to fill it. Popped the bonnet catch and the bonnet hardly moved - frozen to its seals , and with no overhanging lip to pull against, I'm going to have to wait for warmer weather to release it.
Maybe try a little warm water? !