Considering a purchase

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

WoT wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:48 pm Yes, it may be a personal thing but not age-related. I spent much of my working life implementing huge unfriendly German financial systems and it's distressing to find I'm locked in a metal box controlled by something very similar in mindset, seemingly designed solely to frustrate.
And I'm learning - partly from this forum - how to keep my temper on a good day. Don't wake the voice control goddess.
Is it a good drive though?
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The Satnav seems to have improved - Milton Keynes back to Newcastle last night and only 4 occasions where the nav briefly thinks you're on a roundabout that isn't there, and 3 of those were within Durham and Newcastle - this happened about 12 times last time I did the journey,
There still seems to be a few gaps though - 2 postcodes in Milton Keynes were unrecognised for looking for a known rapid charger.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
alex1337

Post by alex1337 »

My biggest bug bear with the software is the slow boot up. I can be half way down the street before the radio starts playing. Once on I can deal with the lag.

My old golf's radio used to start 2 seconds after turning the ignition.
Born V2 Vapour Grey
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

alex1337 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:51 am My biggest bug bear with the software is the slow boot up. I can be half way down the street before the radio starts playing. Once on I can deal with the lag.

My old golf's radio used to start 2 seconds after turning the ignition.
If you've registered for the user profile and the app, there's your culprit. The day I got the Born, I thought the new 3.0 interface was blisteringly quick vs my ID3 on 2.3, then I registered for my user profile and it was down to a crawl. Presumably the car needs to connect to the network to verify that I'm me when I sign in?

alex1337

Post by alex1337 »

That's just bad software design. I like the app as I pre heat the car, so I'll have to live with it. Maybe when VW fixes their software woes it'll get better
Born V2 Vapour Grey
WoT

Post by WoT »

Daveion wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:00 pm
WoT wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:48 pm Yes, it may be a personal thing but not age-related. I spent much of my working life implementing huge unfriendly German financial systems and it's distressing to find I'm locked in a metal box controlled by something very similar in mindset, seemingly designed solely to frustrate.
And I'm learning - partly from this forum - how to keep my temper on a good day. Don't wake the voice control goddess.
Is it a good drive though?
"Good"? - it's a reasonable drive - fast enough. Doesn't mind rough roads, maybe it's the weight. Compared to my BMW 118 it's less fun to drive. Cornering is nothing special - especially as it rides quite high. On motorways and around town it's much like any other automatic. Basic driving controls like the mirrors lights and wipers - for example - are just fine, all those controls are fine. It's only the infotainment system that winds me up. Well, maybe the window controls too, the idiot-proof buttons on the driver's door.
In icy conditions the lane assist made me think I was in a front-end slide several times, so I learned to disable it before leaving.
58kwh v2 Dec 22
Deleted User 456

Post by Deleted User 456 »

I do love this car, and all cars have issues. Would I buy another Born? Probably not.

Infotainment system.... terrible and slow. No excuse in 2023 for such a laggy, horrible system.
Touch buttons. Well, we all know about those.
The system amnesia. Is it THAT hard to remember a setting?
Stupid, retarded ignition system relying on your a*se being on the front seat. Get out to open a gate and the ENTIRE car resets.
App. Given up with that.
Reversing camera. Totally useless after 10 minutes of driving on a wet road
Headlights... poor. Full beam just seems to be dipped beam but brighter.
Most of the tech I paid extra for has been disabled.
Touch door handles that don't work in the cold.
Lane assist? Turn that off as soon as I enter the car now.
Beats sound upgrade, Not worth the extra at all. Put the money towards an after-market upgrade by a third party.
Electric window buttons. Seriously, how was that stupid touch front/back button better than 4 simple buttons?

And the range.... well, as with all EV's. Lies
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

You love the car? :lol:

Deleted User 456

Post by Deleted User 456 »

Well, what I mean is I love the car and it's look.
I was planning to do 3 years in this and then trade in. I already have my eye on the horizon.
Petrol has fallen quite a lot, and I have no issues going back to a petrol. Sorry Penquins/Rainforests/Ozone.