Considering a purchase

All CUPRA Born related discussions
snagglepuss

Post by snagglepuss »

Hi,
I had a first edition iD3 58kW and kept it for two years. I had little or no problems with it other than the glitchy software.
I'm thinking of getting a Cupra Born 58kW eBoost and was wondering is the software on the Born the same, better or worse than the iD3?
If I go ahead I'm planning to receive it around July/August.
Will the current software have improved by then?
Thanks
Born E-Boost 58WKH 231 HP Delivered August 2023

un_born

Post by un_born »

Software still has glitches, like losing memory of ambient light settings etc. What is most infuriating is the slowness of the screen. I guess that is common on your ID3 too.
Unless there is hardware change, I can't see any major improvement. VW have had this out for 3years or so now without any usable improvement.

I will see the Born as a step up in design and perceived quality over the ID3. Other than that, nothing has changed much.

Have you considered the new ID3? No confirmed date yet but by all accounts, this year end.
snagglepuss

Post by snagglepuss »

I agree the Born is far better looking and the interior is of higher quality and feel.
Regarding another iD3, I was spoiled by the amount of 'kit' the first edition came with and if I were to spec another iD3 to that level it would be out of my price range.
What I would miss on the Born is Matrix Headlights, they are fantastic.
I'm currently driving a Skoda Enyaq (loaner) and the software looks and behaves really well also I believe there is a OTA software update due soon, if Skoda can do it why not Cupra?
Thanks
Born E-Boost 58WKH 231 HP Delivered August 2023
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

To be honest, I never had much to complain about with my ID3's software. The real bug bears I had with the ID3 are still present on the Born, despite being on 3.0 - mainly that the car randomly forgets some minor settings, and the wing mirror toggle is incapable of remembering that I left it in "L" for the mirror dip in reverse. I much prefer my Born V2 E-Boost to my old Life Pro Performance or the wife's old Family Pro Performance. Didn't miss the matrix lights on the family, because driving on unlit B-Roads is a very rare occasion for me.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

I do wonder about the software across the VW brands. I’d assumed they shared a common core, the releases across them were equivalent and it was just their own UI shell that was different.

I have my doubts about that now, our ID3 Max software didn’t give me any trouble by the time it got to 2.4 and the travel assistance seemed more advanced, it could see 3 lanes on a motorway and differentiate between lorries, motorcycles and cars. The Born does seem to differentiate between cars and lorries and occasionally it will show a car in a lane outside the one Im in, but it would let me undertake, it doesn't seem to track it like the ID3 did. The ID3 also had blind spot monitoring, was a big surprise when I realised the Born hadn't got that. Along with the matrix headlights and a better designed rear view camera (its in the boot release so isn’t affected by rain and road grime) it feels like it was the more advanced car!

There are a few minor things about the Cupra 3.1 software that would perhaps be ahead of the ID3 2.4 (if they worked properly) such as the “learning” and the layout is nicer, but I’m wondering if Born software 3.1 is actually equivalent to ID3 software 2.1 and it needs a few OTA point releases to catch up?

All that said, I much prefer the Born over our ID3, I knew about the headlights and rear view camera and wouldn’t discourage anybody from buying one. The settings glitches have been a disappointment though and it’s been surprising that the assistance/safety functions are less advanced.
WoT

Post by WoT »

I've had a 58KW V2 for 6 weeks/1500 miles. Driving is good, but I have advised people to avoid it on account of the dreadful software. I need a 15-second "preflight" to turn things on or off and "select" user (I don't want to go through the user setup twice, so we share 1), even on short trips. Alone, on long trips I avoid playing media because it's so poor to operate - I just leave the radio on.
Banking systems usually set the standard for oppressive bureaucracy - but this car... I hate it.
58kwh v2 Dec 22
daern

Post by daern »

Personally, I just use Android Auto and all the media, maps etc. are done through there. Far less faffy than the built-in stuff and you can "take it with you" if you are listening to something in the car. Also means that if you searched for a destination before leaving the house, it's likely to be sat on the screen waiting for you when you get in the car, which is a nice touch. (Google know everything about you!)

Regarding "preflight", mine involves getting in and driving off. Some way down the road when it wakes up (mostly before I've left the drive, to be fair) I'll stab the OK button on the pointless user pop-up, but otherwise that's it. The UI is certainly sluggish and a bit unpredictable, but hardly unusable.
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

Im similar, soon after the OK button is dealt with its in CarPlay for phone, audio and nav. The random heating of the steering wheel and the turn down volume setting when opening doors being forgotten str annoying but its still a great car. Interestingly the Battery Life guy on YouTube is having heated steering wheel issues now his ID3 has got the OTA 3.0 update.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

WoT wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:04 pm I've had a 58KW V2 for 6 weeks/1500 miles. Driving is good, but I have advised people to avoid it on account of the dreadful software. I need a 15-second "preflight" to turn things on or off and "select" user (I don't want to go through the user setup twice, so we share 1), even on short trips. Alone, on long trips I avoid playing media because it's so poor to operate - I just leave the radio on.
Banking systems usually set the standard for oppressive bureaucracy - but this car... I hate it.
It's strange how the SW can polarise views. I love the car and the drive and live with the SW anomalies. I come from an era before computers with my first car in 1968. A 1957 Hillman Minx Convertible. Im guessing but I think younger owners of the ID3 and Born, having been raised in largely electronics driven era, have a greater focus on the SW than the car itself. Its not a critism but maybe a fact.
The drive of the Born is really good and up there with the best cars I have had in 55 years of motoring. That's my buzz, not glitchy SW.
My car seems to have settled down over the past few weeks not forgetting things like it was.
I jump in, hit the OK on the screen, select D and drive away. The more I fiddle with settings the more anomalies I get but I still love the car.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
WoT

Post by WoT »

Yes, it may be a personal thing but not age-related. I spent much of my working life implementing huge unfriendly German financial systems and it's distressing to find I'm locked in a metal box controlled by something very similar in mindset, seemingly designed solely to frustrate.
And I'm learning - partly from this forum - how to keep my temper on a good day. Don't wake the voice control goddess.
58kwh v2 Dec 22