Completely disabling regen (temporarily!)

All CUPRA Born related discussions
daern

Post by daern »

Is there any way to (temporarily) disable regen on the Born?

Reason: I've noticed through this winter that the brakes are getting quite noisy due to corrosion build-up and lack of use. Normally, I'd just go out and "drive it like I stole it", but the regen is so effective that it's surprisingly hard to actually get the mechanical brakes properly exercised on the public road, without driving like an idiot. I've seen a couple of reports from ID3 users about early-life brake replacements due to corrosion, which I'm sure could be avoided by periodic scrubbing. I'd obviously like to avoid this.

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

daern wrote: ↑Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:41 pm Is there any way to (temporarily) disable regen on the Born?

Reason: I've noticed through this winter that the brakes are getting quite noisy due to corrosion build-up and lack of use. Normally, I'd just go out and "drive it like I stole it", but the regen is so effective that it's surprisingly hard to actually get the mechanical brakes properly exercised on the public road, without driving like an idiot. I've seen a couple of reports from ID3 users about early-life brake replacements due to corrosion, which I'm sure could be avoided by periodic scrubbing. I'd obviously like to avoid this.
Drive in D Comfort mode?
Am I missing something?
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Born_in_MCR

Post by Born_in_MCR »

Info from Manual:
The vehicle recuperates energy differently depending on the selected gear position and the
infotainment system settings:
β€’ Position D selected and the eco-efficient
driving assistant deactivated: no recuperation
takes place.

β€’ Position D selected and the eco-efficient
driving assistant activated: automatic recuperation. The recuperation level is automatically
selected based on navigation data and the
traffic situation.
β€’ Position B selected: intense recuperation.
Cupra Born_V2 (58Kwh)_Geyser Silver_IO-GO...
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I wish you could stop the Pseudo B drive mode when you are in Cupra mode with D drive mode selected! 😫
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: ↑Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:27 pm I wish you could stop the Pseudo B drive mode when you are in Cupra mode with D drive mode selected! 😫
Agreed πŸ‘
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
BornAgain

Post by BornAgain »

I guess you want to use friction brakes and you dont want to press the pedal so hard that it uses friction brakes on top of regen.
In that case try popping it into N(eutral) then apply the brakes. You should see no regen appearing, therefore friction brakes are being used. Obviously do this on a quiet road.
I dont see why one needs to do this manual friction cleaning, I drive with creep mode on and it uses friction brakes at low speeds, e.g parking and manoeuvring . My disks are still shiny, but I do get that grating noise at the very end just before it stops.
Even those that drive with Auto Hold, they should get some friction brakes use just before it comes to a dead stop.
daern

Post by daern »

Born_in_MCR wrote: ↑Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:38 pm β€’ Position D selected and the eco-efficient
driving assistant deactivated: no recuperation
takes place.
Now that's a setting I've not yet found! I'll have a dig through tonight to try to find it. Thanks.

For those asking why, this was the thread that my memory reminded me of: https://www.id3forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1941 - there's photos of the corroded disks further down the page. The stuff about "warping" is obviously nonsense, but there's no question that corrosion could be an issue given that the mechanical brakes clearly get a lot less use than they would if it were a Golf.