First reasonoble length drive.... Hmm

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Deleted User 456

Post by Deleted User 456 »

When I collected the Cupra in late October, it took 11% of my battery to commute one way to work.
Now, in the cold... we are 18-19%. Charging far more often

Born_in_MCR

Post by Born_in_MCR »

Manual says you can "Customising the infotainment system" see page 233.
Not tried it yet as still awaiting delivery, hopefully Jan 23... :roll:
Cupra Born_V2 (58Kwh)_Geyser Silver_IO-GO...
Deleted User 456

So, another drive this weekend from Wiltshire to Lincoln. About 200 miles up there after visiting a few people.

Electric cars are not the future :roll: . Not yet anyway.
Took the missus this time, and we planned a stop at a BP garage in Coventry, as I knew it had a BPpulse charger. Thought I would throw in a few spare miles while we had a coffee.

Garage closed. Restocking the M&S food shelves of the garage :roll: So I knocked on the window and they said fine, you can move the cones and go and use the charger. But it didn't work anyway.

So faffed around in Lincoln at another BPpulse charger and got a few miles put back in while we got ripped off in Starbucks.

Charged it with a 13 charger at my mums and that put in a decent 35% overnight to get it up to 95%.

Range FELL OFF A CLIFF again driving home back along the A46. 70 miles an hour with the autocruise, and the battery went from 95% to 57% in 70 miles.

Decided to hit the same Coventry BPpulse charger, but this time there were 3 other cars trying to get it to work (I checked the app and it said it was working).
The charge lead on the left hand charger was so short, it would not reach anyone's charge socket. What retard designs this stuff? Two guys gave up and left, and I ended up bumping up the kerb and parking at some weird angle and JUST got the plug in with it stretched tight.

So, charging away with some other guy who told me how much he regretted buying his electric F-Pace. The dual 150kw charger never pumped out more than 46kw at any point (for either car). Yes I know its also to do with what your car can take, but I am heading towards half empty.... and at 79p a KW, it's not good enough.

So, the F-Pace constantly binned his charging, and then another guy turned up in a BMW with 7%, peeved that the last 8 chargers he had tried didn't work or had huge queues.

We all stood there with coffees, chatting about how the whole electric car thing is not working. The infrastructure isn't there, and never will be. Over the next few years, as more EV's hit the street, charging at these points will start to be a real issue.
My wife pointed out we were lucky these were 'nice' people, as there is no obvious method to queue for the chargers. It could easily turn ugly.

Mine got to 85%, and I stopped the charger. This randomly also kicked his F-Pace off the charger as well.

The car itself? New glitch.... the HUD sat/nav arrows not matching the sat/nav directions on the screen. 4 times I followed the HUD direction arrow and it was totally different to the screen map directions.

Then screen went dull. My mentioned it looked dull, and my wife agreed it was not as bright as it had been. Obviously some update changed the screen brightness to medium. I certainly didn't change it.

Headlights. Driving up the Fosseway through the Cotswolds. They certainly need improving. Full beam just makes the bit of road in front of the car brighter, there is no distance penetration at all.

Reversing camera. Pointless. Filthy dirty and blurred after 30 minutes driving.

So, it sounds like another rant. But it's not. My wife has refused to drive the car, as she just doesn't like the EV experience and the added time for charging in each direction.

The car was lovely to drive. But... I think my next car will be petrol. It may well be a Seat/Cupra as I like them as a car, but a decent EV infrastructure for the UK is just not even on the horizon.

Most of my driving is a commute, so well within it's range. And that is what I will use it for.

No petrol/diesel cars by 2030?

NOT A CHANCE :lol: :lol:
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I think its as well for the planet and our Grandchildren not all our experiences are the same. Yes, the car has glitches and the lack of buttons takes some getting used to but all that said I could not go back to petrol or diesel car.
The drive, convenience of charging at home and zero pollution sow it up for me.
It's my second EV in 2 years. We still have an ICE that is a 2 seater and at some point in the next couple of years will either drop to one car or buy a very small EV like a Twizzy to replace the fun of the 2 seater. Maybe even an electric motorbike.
I agree that the UK charging infrastructure has to improve if we are to drop new ICE vehicles from 2030 but its not a step change to EVs. Vehicles that are built up to 2030 will go on for a long time. Probably until a point when fuel costs/gallon will make their use economically prohibitive.
In the meantime I hope people are not put off of the need to change to EVs for the sake of the planet.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I've got to drive down to Milton Keynes on the 12th, and I'm dreading it. Rapid charging is just shite. Slow rates, high prices, broken chargers and queues for chargers.

For everything else though, the car is great.

I cannot see rapid charger numbers where you want them (mainly motorway services) increasing in line with EV ownership numbers, but current electricity prices might do a lot to put people off.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 456

Maybe when I come to trade this in, the EV world will have progressed..... but the way this country is falling apart at the seams.... I just don't see it.

If my job wasn't commutable in this car, and I had to drive any kind of distance each day, then I certainly would not go Electric. I NEVER want to have to rely on the UK's EV charging infrastructure outside my home.
A few times a year... I'll deal with it, but it's entirely possible that petrol will drop in price again and that becomes a better option.

I can safely say, this car isn't all that much cheaper to run than our petrol Mini (if at all), if you use the garage chargers. Two top-ups cost around £45 this weekend at the BPpulse charger (58% to 90% and 57% to 82%).
I can fill the Mini with Petrol from empty for £68 (and not sit in a garage for two lots of 30 minutes).

Hmm
un_born

Post by un_born »

If it wasn't for the fact that we get London Congestion charge free till 2025 and 10min paid Westminster parking, we would not have gone EV.

TBH, if you want frugal (albeit the most boing drive ever) a Toyota Hybrid, like a Corolla, gives 50MPG day in day out.
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

I think we’re seeing a perfect storm of energy price hikes, investment slowdown and supply chain issues further disrupting what was never going to be a smooth transition to EVs. Hopefully some of the media hyping up queues at chargers over the holidays isn’t going to put people off, we have to change course on emissions.

We certainly don’t want to go back to ICE for our regular needs. If those changed to include frequent distance communing we’d get a Tesla but for our occasional distance and frequent local use our Born and Mini EVs are brilliant.

Our experiences out on the roads have not been perfect, but no disasters. Some planning, avoiding charge sites with less that four outlets and luck!

I’ve always been a car enthusiast and have owned some wonderful machines. I’ve transferred that enthusiasm and embraced EVs, the technology ecosystem, the way they deliver their drive, all of it. I guess that helps too.
Allart

Post by Allart »

Stevolution wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:47 pm Maybe when I come to trade this in, the EV world will have progressed..... but the way this country is falling apart at the seams.... I just don't see it.

If my job wasn't commutable in this car, and I had to drive any kind of distance each day, then I certainly would not go Electric. I NEVER want to have to rely on the UK's EV charging infrastructure outside my home.
A few times a year... I'll deal with it, but it's entirely possible that petrol will drop in price again and that becomes a better option.

I can safely say, this car isn't all that much cheaper to run than our petrol Mini (if at all), if you use the garage chargers. Two top-ups cost around £45 this weekend at the BPpulse charger (58% to 90% and 57% to 82%).
I can fill the Mini with Petrol from empty for £68 (and not sit in a garage for two lots of 30 minutes).

Hmm
I've been reading this thread for the past half hour or so, I'm just wondering why you're already looking for a charger when still well over 50%?
Is the infrastructure that bad in the UK?! (I know, we're spoiled here in NL...), but still I try to avoid fast charges whatever it takes, just because of the cost.
Destination charging all the way for me whenever possible. Even with my 41kW Zoe I drove for the past 2 years. (just picked up my Born last Friday).

p.s. The hand scorcher annoyed the hell out of me today, so I finally found how it works: apparently the car decides to turn it on for you when it's cold, and supposedly it learns from your behaviour...
I hope she's a fast learner!
2022 Adrenaline 77kW
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

There’s a setting for the wheel heater to turn on at start of journey depending on temperature. So if that setting is off are you saying that the car will still turn the wheel heater on if it has somehow “learned” that it should?

It annoys the hell out of me when the wheel is heated without me wanting it to be and I always immediately turn it off, if what you say is right it must be a slow learner!