USB Max size

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Deleted User 456

Post by Deleted User 456 »

Anyone got an idea of the maximum size the USB ports can read for music?
I want to grab a large USB stick, seeing as it will not recognise my good old 160gb ipod (still going strong after all these years).

I tried my 1tb external hard drive and that didn't work, but that might be because there isn't enough juice to run it.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

My MK7 Golf had a 256Gb limit - can't imagine it being any smaller than that. I'm using a SanDisk 128Gb USB-C stick without issue, all formats, including Flac.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
un_born

Post by un_born »

I too run a 128gb USB stick (via A to C convertor) without issue
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

Just to be clear, USB is a transfer mechanism/protocol standard and has a physical socket size and shape but no memory "size", except as determined by the software using the data being sent through the socket. USB-A, B and now C have different data transfer rate maxima, but the storage size may well be limited by the formatting of the media (memory stick, hard drive, whatever) that is plugged into it.
I reckon you could plug in a 1Tb portable hard drive and it would work fine.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
Deleted User 456

Post by Deleted User 456 »

Well like I said, neither of my portable 1tb hard drives were recognised.
My Ford Ranger had a 128gb limit. Above that and it would not read it.
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

Stevolution wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:55 am Well like I said, neither of my portable 1tb hard drives were recognised.
My Ford Ranger had a 128gb limit. Above that and it would not read it.
OK, that's interesting and I can't explain that unless, as you say, the socket can't supply enough power.
If and when my own car arrives, I'll try it with the portable 1Tb drive that I have. Darn frustrating to be unable to try these things myself yet! :x
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
Savage

Post by Savage »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:24 am My MK7 Golf had a 256Gb limit - can't imagine it being any smaller than that. I'm using a SanDisk 128Gb USB-C stick without issue, all formats, including Flac.
Interesting .... My Cupra Ateca wont recognise around 90% of my albums in FLAC, I had to convert them to MP3.
Would be good if the Born will play them without issue.
I just got a Samsung 128gb USB C thumbdrive, so have put around 12 FLAC albums on it, to see when the Born arrives, how it handles them.
If all good Ill transfer the other 180 ish albums :lol:
Cupra Born V2 58KWh AFV 230 Auto E-Boost with Tech Pack L in Geyser Silver.
WoT

Post by WoT »

I've just tried a USB stick with a USB C connection. The car recognises it but won't read files: it tried to use Mirrorlink to talk to the media files and just failed. I can't find any option to switch from Bluetooth to just "read the sodding folder of music". So today it will read the music files on my phone (which it wouldn't do last week) but it won't read the files or folder structure on the USB stick.
This is a 128Gb stick. I don't think the memory size is the issue. It's the poor software in the car....again....not delivering what the manual says.
Or - has someone managed it?
58kwh v2 Dec 22
un_born

Post by un_born »

WoT wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:57 pm I've just tried a USB stick with a USB C connection. The car recognises it but won't read files: it tried to use Mirrorlink to talk to the media files and just failed. I can't find any option to switch from Bluetooth to just "read the sodding folder of music". So today it will read the music files on my phone (which it wouldn't do last week) but it won't read the files or folder structure on the USB stick.
This is a 128Gb stick. I don't think the memory size is the issue. It's the poor software in the car....again....not delivering what the manual says.
Or - has someone managed it?
USB C isn't the issue. It is most probably the file format of the stick. I format all mine with Fat32 and dont have any issue. I currently use a Samsung 128gb and it works fine.

WoT

Post by WoT »

OK - yes my USB drive now does work, I had thought the iTunes format was ok but I converted everything to MP3 and it's working.
I'm still learning how the folder structure and search routines work. This is one function where they could make better use of the screen handling - I mean, can't be done with physical switches, obviously. It seems very basic and I don't relish searching when (say) on the M25. I'll be doomed to my wife's choice of music.
58kwh v2 Dec 22