Scheduled charging

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Andyjsam

Post by Andyjsam »

Hi all

I tried a search but can't see anyone having this problem before.

Not sure if this will be specific to the charger, but I have an Hypervolt.

I set the schedule in the hypervolt, plug the car in (car set to start charging immediately, no schedules). After a couple of minutes I will get a notifcation from the cupra app that charging could not be started (thought this was normal as charger is not supplying power until scheduled).
I then wait for the start time set in the hypervolt but it doesn't seem to have started charging.
On going out to the car I find that the charging connector is unlocked, acting as if it isn't plugged in at all, and I have to unplug it and plug it back in for the charge to start.

Has anyone had a simular issue on any type of charger and could shed any light?

Thanks
Andy

Andyjsam

Post by Andyjsam »

Just a quick update, I think this is to do with the car going into sleep mode potentially, if I send any air conditioning commands or similar from the Cupra app then the range corrects to the right amount and the car starts charging correctly. However if the car is asleep (assuming this is when the remaining range of the car displays as 0.62 of the correct amount) when the charge is scheduled to start, then it never wakes the car and thus doest start charging as scheduled. Has anyone seem similar behaviour or heard about it, maybe in an VW ID or similar?
Kernowboy

Post by Kernowboy »

Andyjsam wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:09 pm Hi all

I tried a search but can't see anyone having this problem before.

Not sure if this will be specific to the charger, but I have an Hypervolt.

I set the schedule in the hypervolt, plug the car in (car set to start charging immediately, no schedules). After a couple of minutes I will get a notifcation from the cupra app that charging could not be started (thought this was normal as charger is not supplying power until scheduled).
I then wait for the start time set in the hypervolt but it doesn't seem to have started charging.
On going out to the car I find that the charging connector is unlocked, acting as if it isn't plugged in at all, and I have to unplug it and plug it back in for the charge to start.

Has anyone had a simular issue on any type of charger and could shed any light?

Thanks
Andy
Ours behaves in much the same way. Schedule set in the Zappi charger for off peak period, car to immediate charge. The white light flashes and goes to red, then after a short period the light on the car goes out altogether and I get a notification from the app as above. But when the off peak period starts the car charges as you would expect with all the appropriate indications. I think the car recognises the cable being plugged in and locks it but then when the charge doesn’t start given it expects to charge immediately, after a period it resets. Only difference with setting the schedule in the car itself is that doing that the light stays red with the cable locked in until the scheduled charge starts. Doesn’t seem to be a problem to me, everything works, just a minor difference with the indications between scheduling on the the charger vs in the car.
Werneroeder

Post by Werneroeder »

Just to confirm:
1. Plug the car in.
2. Car goes to red, but leave the cable and car alone. Light dies after a while.
3. Scheduled charging occurs, and no problems.
4. I got rid of the charging schedule on the vehicle, as per request from charge point supplier, so will see if that works.
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

New regulations came into affect a few months ago that mean smart chargers must randomise the start time a few mins for scheduled charging. This is so that the grid can cope with all the cars taking advantage of off-peak charging by preventing them all come on at the exact same time. That may be why it doesn’t start at exactly the expected time.

This may be relevant, it’s for the Ohme but the same apples:
https://www.ohme-ev.com/resources/artic ... egulations
Nacaduct

Post by Nacaduct »

TheBornIDentity wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:53 pm This is so that the grid can cope with all the cars taking advantage of off-peak charging
Holy hell, why would ayone believe there are that many EV’s around to stress the grid this much. Charging at max 11kW? Sounds like bullshit to me. What on earth would a few minutes starting time difference do? Would still be a lot of cars charging at the same time, no?
Cupra Born since ‘22
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

Nah it makes sense. The grid can cope with the demand but when demand increases they need to turn on extra generators. It makes the demand more gradual as it’s hard for the grid to cope with sudden rapid changes in demand. It’s probably not that much of a problem now but will be as more and more people get Electric cars. The link explains it pretty well.

It’s better they do something now than wait until it causes problems.

This is what it says about it in the link:

Randomised delays – All charging schedules will be subject to randomised delays of up to 10 minutes. This means that although your charging may be scheduled to start at 00:30, for example, it may not actually start until up to 10 minutes later. This is to stop there being a surge of demand when all the off-peak schedules kick in and to prevent the creation of new peaks (when lots of electricity is being used at the same time).
BORN SPURS

Post by BORN SPURS »

I have waited nearly two weeks for Hypervolt to get back to me about my email to them, but they don't reply. They, excuse the pun, really hype their company up, but customer service is bad, they even gave me a ticket number.

I have no schedules or routines set, either in the car, on the MyCupra app or the Hypervolt app and the car is set to charge immedlately in e manager on the car charging screen. I do not use scheduled charging at all

This is my problem. I want to start a charge immediately. I open the Hypervolt app and connect the charging cable to the car. The light on the car charger port turns white as it should. The light then turns red and stays that way. I then get a message up on the Hypervolt app telling me charging will start in whatever minutes shows on the app. The charger will not start charging until it counts down to zero on the app. The first time it was 2 minutes, the second time it was 4.5 minutes, the third time it was 9 minutes, the fourth time it was two minutes again. When i collected the car I was told don't use the MyCupra app use your charger app - obviously for a reason.

My brother has a Hypervolt charger and when he plugs his Tesla in it starts charging immediately after about 10 seconds, theres never any wait once it has recognised his car.

Does anyone else have this time delay with their Hypervolt charger, or for that matter, any ideas on the subject.

I have read what The Born Identity has said in his post about delays, but I am not using schuduled charging. I just want to plug the car in and start charging immediately, well almost immediately...lol
mangobay

Post by mangobay »

I have a hypervolt charger. I am not seeing any of these delay issues unless using the timer on the hypervolt itself.
I now don’t use the timer schedules on the charger as from experience of other EVs I prefer to use the schedule timers in the car. Plus we use two different cars on the same hypervolt.

I’m finding everything works exactly as it should, including the coloured light indicators on the car this way. There’s no having to fool the car into thinking there is an error due to lack of supply outside the charging period. I’m therefore not sure why dealers are advising to avoid the in-car scheduling you don’t have to use the app you can set the preferences in the car itself.

The only downside I have found is that it defaults to the “charge immediately” setting and I can’t seem to find how to change the default to “charge at preferred times”. Not a huge pain you just have to remember when leaving the car to change that setting (which sits on home page as you power down) if you plan to put it on charge.

Not sure if that could help your issue?