Full range

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Ice o

Post by Ice o »

Hi, new to the forum and new to electric cars
I had my born v3 58kw for about two weeks now and completely love it. Today was the first time it was charged to 100% and was a bit disapoint with the range displayed 165 miles on all the reviews, which states about 226 miles. It is in comfort mode. Is there something I am missing or doing wrong? Also, the app mileage is way out compared to the car..bit confused.

TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

Ice o wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:20 pm Hi, new to the forum and new to electric cars
I had my born v3 58kw for about two weeks now and completely love it. Today was the first time it was charged to 100% and was a bit disapoint with the range displayed 165 miles on all the reviews, which states about 226 miles. It is in comfort mode. Is there something I am missing or doing wrong? Also, the app mileage is way out compared to the car..bit confused.
Cold weather has a big impact on range. Partly due to how cold temperatures affect the battery capacity itself and partly because of running the cabin and battery heaters.

Unfortunately you’ve timed getting yours around when the weather has got colder.

I was probably getting 200 - 210 miles real range in the summer but this week is probably more like 160. Two days of my daily commute was about 30% battery but this week it used 40%.

It’s to be expected, nothing to worry about. I find the app mileage estimate is useless but the one in the car does a fairly good job.
Ice o

Post by Ice o »

Thanks for the feedback 😀
What's your opinion on 100% charge vs the 80% the car tells you..believe its saves the battery life, but does it really
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Ice o wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:52 pm Thanks for the feedback 😀
What's your opinion on 100% charge vs the 80% the car tells you..believe its saves the battery life, but does it really
I'm nearly 2 years into EVs now firstly with an ID3 and then my Born. The history of the charging has been a regular topic on both forums. On one hand you have the recommendation on battery care from VW and CUPRA re normal charginging to 80% and if you want 100% drive off immediately. On the other hand owners are busy speculating what battery degradation they may have after a year or so of motoring and coming up with methods to measure the loss in capacity.
In my view there is simply not yet enough real world data available to come with any clear evidence supporting the speculation.
In the mix you also have owners like myself who are almost 100% AC home charged versus those who may be high milers on the motorway a lot and are using fast DC chargers a lot of the time.
What I have come to see in new members is that immediately after range anxiety comes battery degradation anxiety.
In your first post you had a bit of a shock on range versus 220 or so on a 58kW battery.
It's something you can work around once you adapt to the EV. In the last 2 days I have done 150 miles at ambient temperatures of 9C.
I did 1 day at 22C cabin temp and returned 3.2 miles/kW sat in a sweater and jeans like I would have in my ICE car.
On the 2nd day, today, I drove in my winter coat. I only used the heater intermittently to clear the screen. I was comfortable and was returning 4.4 miles/kW. That's a big difference and illustrates how much the cabin heater consumes from the battery.
The projected ranges were:-
Day 1 186 miles for 100%
Day 2 255 miles for 100%
It's a choice you can make. It's unusual for me to do 150 miles in 2 days. My normal trips are maybe 10 miles and given I charge on a cheap rate overnight I heat the cabin and don't wear a coat.
As said it's a choice you can make and for me it's about adapting to what's best for you in your EV.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Ice o wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:20 pm Hi, new to the forum and new to electric cars
It's the cooler weather. The car takes about 20 mins of driving to warm the battery (needed until the battery reaches 14C) and uses a lot of energy to do so, so if you do one long trip,the impact of cooler weather and battery heating on battery is less than lots of smaller journeys where battery heating is on for the duration.

In the Summer, you can expect the following:

Lots of short journeys = 220 miles
Lots of short journeys and driving like a nun = 250 miles
Simgle motorway journey, 70mph = 220 miles
Single motorway journey, 60mph (why?) = 250 miles.

In the winter:-

Lots of short journeys = 150 miles
Lots of short journeys and driving like a nun = 160 miles.
Simgle motorway journey, 70mph = 180 miles
Single motorway journey, 60mph = 210 miles

Those Winter journeys are based on low/moderate cabin heating. If you need heat like a reptile, expect a bigger impact.

If you bought the car to fling around and put your foot down, do it on the shorter journeys and charge more often. If you have a home charger and a cheap overnight tariff, don't worry about range on the shorter journeys.

Air recirculation saves a lot of energy in Summer and Winter, so you don't immediately dump that air you cooled or heated with AC.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

No problem and welcome to the forum by the way.

I tend to follow 80 - 20 in summer and didn’t plan to bother with 80 - 40 in the winter but have been since it gobbles through battery.

I don’t stick to it rigidly though and have left it at 100% for a while before a long trip and ran it down to 5% a few times. Doubt it would do any harm so long as you don’t do it habitually.

From everything I’ve read it’s leaving it at 100% for long periods, less than 20% for long period and repeatedly rapid charging the degrade the battery the most. I guess most of the advice it to avoid warranty claims though.
daern

Post by daern »

My general rule is to stick to 80% and to avoid 100% charges apart from in the following situations:
  • I have a long journey planned the following day and need the range
  • I find a free charger (ain't noone going to pass up free electrons!)
  • I've accidentally left it on 100% after buggering about with the settings
Generally, I probably do it once per week or so, and try to time it so it's not sitting at 100% for long - charge it and use it. I don't lose too much sleep over it and, 90% of the time, I don't need the range, even in winter.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

daern wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:25 pm My general rule is to stick to 80% and to avoid 100% charges apart from in the following situations:
  • I have a long journey planned the following day and need the range
  • I find a free charger (ain't noone going to pass up free electrons!)
  • I've accidentally left it on 100% after buggering about with the settings
Generally, I probably do it once per week or so, and try to time it so it's not sitting at 100% for long - charge it and use it. I don't lose too much sleep over it and, 90% of the time, I don't need the range, even in winter.
Pretty much the same for me although if I do need 100% I charge to 90% overnight at the cheap rate and top up the final 10% 40 minutes or so before I'm due to drive away. In the Winter that helps as well to pre condition the cabin. Not sure on the new SW now if there is battery heating as part of pre conditioning when plugged in? Anyone know?
I'm sure there was talk of that on 3.0 when I was in an ID3.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Ice o

Post by Ice o »

Great feedback, thank you
Great forum
BORN SPURS

Post by BORN SPURS »

Daveion wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:22 pm
I'm nearly 2 years into EVs now firstly with an ID3 and then my Born. The history of the charging has been a regular topic on both forums. On one hand you have the recommendation on battery care from VW and CUPRA re normal charginging to 80% and if you want 100% drive off immediately. On the other hand owners are busy speculating what battery degradation they may have after a year or so of motoring and coming up with methods to measure the loss in capacity.
In my view there is simply not yet enough real world data available to come with any clear evidence supporting the speculation.
In the mix you also have owners like myself who are almost 100% AC home charged versus those who may be high milers on the motorway a lot and are using fast DC chargers a lot of the time.
What I have come to see in new members is that immediately after range anxiety comes battery degradation anxiety.
In your first post you had a bit of a shock on range versus 220 or so on a 58kW battery.
It's something you can work around once you adapt to the EV. In the last 2 days I have done 150 miles at ambient temperatures of 9C.
I did 1 day at 22C cabin temp and returned 3.2 miles/kW sat in a sweater and jeans like I would have in my ICE car.
On the 2nd day, today, I drove in my winter coat. I only used the heater intermittently to clear the screen. I was comfortable and was returning 4.4 miles/kW. That's a big difference and illustrates how much the cabin heater consumes from the battery.
The projected ranges were:-
Day 1 186 miles for 100%
Day 2 255 miles for 100%
It's a choice you can make. It's unusual for me to do 150 miles in 2 days. My normal trips are maybe 10 miles and given I charge on a cheap rate overnight I heat the cabin and don't wear a coat.
As said it's a choice you can make and for me it's about adapting to what's best for you in your EV.
Have a look on youtube at a channel called "battery life" well worth a look and the guy knows his biscuits. He has one of the first id3's and he lives in Norway - it's cold up that way. He has covered plenty of miles in it and has done degredation tests through a dealer and his own calculations. You might be amazed at what he found after over two years and If I remember rightly 58k miles.