Fault in the electric drive system

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Graham B

Post by Graham B »

Driving my Born to the local shops in heavy rain and the Yellow warning triangle appeared on the dash along with the message ‘Fault in the electric drive system. Take the car to a main dealer’. I drove home and everything appears to be working fine. I called out CUPRA Roadside Assistance to be told that “They won’t let me out of the van to get training on those! I’ve had training to know it’s all high voltage and I can’t touch anything”! He plugged in an analyser to show faults in 9 ECUs! Not sure if I believe this?
I’ve phoned my local CUPRA garages but CUPRA Born trained mechanics appear thin on the ground, so the earliest date I can get it looked at is 1st Dec. 8 Dec if I want a loan car (they admit it may be a few days to sort it out). I have tried a soft reset to no effect and left it a few days! Still there?
Anyone got any other suggestions? Is it safe to drive?
Generally love the car but CUPRA need to step up the after sales service!
CUPRA Born V2 Quasar Grey May 2022 L-Tech Pack

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Is the message still being displayed as you drive it? If it's disappeared (but will still be stored for reference) then i'd keep driving it until its resolved.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Lebo

Post by Lebo »

Mine has done the same but after driving it the fault has now gone off so I’m just going to leave it.
Graham B

Post by Graham B »

I'll give that a go but keep my driving local for the moment!
Many thanks both!
Carlymc91

Post by Carlymc91 »

I am also having the same issue! Been driving with that warning on now for over 4 weeks!

It’s been back to SEAT who couldn’t find the problem but it’s going back on Thursday so the EV technician can look at it. The after care has been shocking, just hoping the car is fixed this week!
Graham B

Post by Graham B »

Thanks Carlymc91. I have been driving it recently and will continue to do so until the (singular!) CUPRA Born technician is available (Dec 8th). I’m hoping it gets fixed and will update this forum after that (or sooner if it goes away. Please let me know how you get on with the EV technician. It does make me wonder if the VW ID range have the same issue since some of these models (ID 3) have been around quite a while and have the same drive train!
Graham

Post by Graham »

Got my Born on Friday and got a red warning triangle appearing on the steering wheel display yesterday. This display now only shows the speed also the controls on the steering no longer light up or work. Also unable to tell how many miles I havee left. Now in the garage but won't be looked at until 28th November and who knows when I'll get it back. Roadside assist reckons it's the ECU
BORN SPURS

Post by BORN SPURS »

Blimey, this is worrying to say the least.!
I can understand how disheartened you must be feeling.
It seems pot luck as to whether you get one that works properly or get one that is trouble and that's soul destroying.
We pay all that money and the cars still have problems.
This sort of problem would drive me crazy on a new car costing the amount of money they do.

Now i have had dealings with Seat/ Cupra Customer Services ( I might add, not about my car ) and I only hope you or anyone else never need to use them.
It is the worst Customer Service you will find of any manufacturer and none exhistent, they all seem to thick to awnswer any questions or just do not reply to the submitted CS request form.
Lebo

Post by Lebo »

I had mine in the garage today with this issue. The light did go out however the fault stored on the ECU. The dealer told me we have cleared the ecu and if it does it again we will need the car for a few days. So basically they have done nothing to my car.
davmatjo

Post by davmatjo »

I have this pop up about once per month in some form or another, either yellow or red fault with the electric drive system, only ever when turning the car on. Today I also had it pop up with 12V battery fault. Every single time I have turned the car off and on again and the warnings have immediately disappeared. At this point I'm not sure if there's actually a fault or if it's yet another case of buggy software.