Charging at preferred times

All CUPRA Born related discussions
mangobay

Post by mangobay »

Hi all
Just getting used to the car and enjoying it a lot. One thing that is vexing me currently is how to use the charging timers. I can’t find the answer to this in the manual and so wondering if anyone here can help please.

I have an octopus go cheap night time tariff so trying to set the car the charge in the discount window. I have this working as a routine tagged to my home location and that seems fine. The issue I am encountering is that every day it defaults back to charging instantly on plugging in rather than respecting the timer.

I’m not sure if this is because the home profile still has two options ( charge now or charge at preferred time) and it’s set to default to charge now. Am I missing an option to specific the default position? I can obviously change it manually each time in the car or the app but that’s a pain.

I know I could use timers on the wall box but for various reasons I want to keep the wall box as an always on dumb timer and use the timers in the car.

Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

For most smart chargers, it's better to leave the car dumb and let the charger do the scheduling.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
mangobay

Post by mangobay »

Thanks appreciate the reply. I know that’s an option but we use the same charger for two different cars and so it helps to have it operate as a dumb charger and use the car for scheduling. It just seems odd that you cannot force the Born’s routine into night time charging so I’m sure I must be missing something.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

That's the main downside to most smart chargers - they're set up for sole use of 1 car to use the smart features, then throw a wobbler when a different car is on (which might not be a bad thing if your home charger is easily accessible to someone who's prepared to roll up on your drive, plug in an steal some electrons while you're out.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565