Is the user interface and the touch sensing buttons that bad?

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Brapsticle

Post by Brapsticle »

I have honestly had very little issues with mine, it took a little bit of adjusting to get used to, and every now and then the screen freezes or gets stuck for a journey but I think that has happened twice so far.

The touch sensitivity is a little annoying with the accuracy of volume and temperature, but again not a huge problem by any means. I use the ACC and volume/track controls on the steering wheel many times literally every time I drive and they are great, physical would probably be slightly better, but dont let it put you off, its no where near as bas as all the reviews make out!

As for the "always accidentally catching them" this has really not been my experience. I have caught them a handful of times and only when going full lock.
V3 58Kw Aurora Blue, since Sept 22

TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

I let my Dad have a go driving mine today and it was like an Old Skool piano rift going on with him randomly hitting the steering wheel controls by accident ALOT.

I explained it to him (why he kept hearing that sound) and his response was “That’s minor detail when you consider how good this thing is. I’d get used to that”.

I think that’s a pretty good summary of it, though you shouldn’t need to adapt how you use the steering wheel due to piss poor ergonomics IMHO.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I find them OK- the sweeping action needed on the Birn rather than the button presses on the ID3 for the likes of the volume takes some getting used to, to do it accurately, but it didn't take too long. These Auto Journos declare anything crap that they can't immediately use with no learning curve.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:27 pm I find them OK- the sweeping action needed on the Birn rather than the button presses on the ID3 for the likes of the volume takes some getting used to, to do it accurately, but it didn't take too long. These Auto Journos declare anything crap that they can't immediately use with no learning curve.
I know what you mean but I can’t see anything about them that is better than normal buttons. It’s a solution trying to find a problem.

If it was an actual improvement then I’d feel the same but it isn’t. It doesn’t do anything better apart from save money for the manufacturers.

I can’t afford a Tesla, and got to thinking why nobody complains about the same issues with them. A short while later watched a video with someone driving a Mach-e and worked it out. They have massive touch screens, probably 2.5x the size of MEB cars. Much easier to touch, much bigger icons.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

TheBornIDentity wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:52 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:27 pm I find them OK- the sweeping action needed on the Birn rather than the button presses on the ID3 for the likes of the volume takes some getting used to, to do it accurately, but it didn't take too long. These Auto Journos declare anything crap that they can't immediately use with no learning curve.
I know what you mean but I can’t see anything about them that is better than normal buttons. It’s a solution trying to find a problem.

If it was an actual improvement then I’d feel the same but it isn’t. It doesn’t do anything better apart from save money for the manufacturers.

I can’t afford a Tesla, and got to thinking why nobody complains about the same issues with them. A short while later watched a video with someone driving a Mach-e and worked it out. They have massive touch screens, probably 2.5x the size of MEB cars. Much easier to touch, much bigger icons.
I'm not excusing them - I also prefer physical buttons, and I've never had steering wheel buttons fail on me, so implementing them was definitely a cost issue, not a reliability improvement.

However, I don't think the issue is the disaster it's being made out to be.

I also prefer the toggle wheel approach of menu navigation on the screen that Audi use rather than touch screen. For me that's a bigger issue - easier to miss the intended target area on the touch screen while driving, and further away from the line of sight you should be adopting while driving. You can use the toggle screen blind once you've memorised the menu pathways.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565