What next? Tyre!

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
michbright

Post by michbright »

I think I must be cursed. As I pulled into my road after driving 8 miles round trip, the tyre pressure warning came up. Upon inspection, low and behold the tyre had a puncture. Called Seat Assist who had someone out to me within 45 minutes. Turns out it was a tiny tip of a Stanley blade in the tread. They plugged it and said to get it to the garage today. So my less than a week old car is at the garage now, having the tyre repairedd.

Let's hope the saying, these things happen in threes does not apply in this case...
Cupra Born | V1 | Aurora Blue

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

\i've already done in a tyre at 2000 miles too - first in 6 years - part of a screw in the shoulder of the tyre. rapid deflation once I removed it. The look of the flat tyre and the frequency of flats reported for 19"/20" wheels for ID3/ID4/Born makes me think these tyres are seriously thin vs conventional tyres fitted to the likes of a VW Golf and prone to punctures - they seem more like balloons than tyres. I wonder how much weight saving is to be had with this approach.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
michbright

Post by michbright »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:42 pm \i've already done in a tyre at 2000 miles too - first in 6 years - part of a screw in the shoulder of the tyre. rapid deflation once I removed it. The look of the flat tyre and the frequency of flats reported for 19"/20" wheels for ID3/ID4/Born makes me think these tyres are seriously thin vs conventional tyres fitted to the likes of a VW Golf and prone to punctures - they seem more like balloons than tyres. I wonder how much weight saving is to be had with this approach.
I live in a rural area and, although not frequent, punctures are not uncommon around here. I have the v1 so it's 18" and thankfully it was easily fixed.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

michbright wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:31 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:42 pm \i've already done in a tyre at 2000 miles too - first in 6 years - part of a screw in the shoulder of the tyre. rapid deflation once I removed it. The look of the flat tyre and the frequency of flats reported for 19"/20" wheels for ID3/ID4/Born makes me think these tyres are seriously thin vs conventional tyres fitted to the likes of a VW Golf and prone to punctures - they seem more like balloons than tyres. I wonder how much weight saving is to be had with this approach.
I live in a rural area and, although not frequent, punctures are not uncommon around here. I have the v1 so it's 18" and thankfully it was easily fixed.
Unless I was unlucky (general concensus is not) the 18" Bridgestones seem tougher than 19/20" Conti and Goodyear choices. The wife and I racked up 14k miles with no punctures on our 18" shod ID3s.

michbright

Post by michbright »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:38 pm
michbright wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:31 pm
Unless I was unlucky (general concensus is not) the 18" Bridgestones seem tougher than 19/20" Conti and Goodyear choices. The wife and I racked up 14k miles with no punctures on our 18" shod ID3s.
Here's hoping! Now we just need to get the free charging at my husband's work set up. We've not got a charger at home as there's a public one that costs the same as charging at home, but free will be even better :D
BORN SPURS

Post by BORN SPURS »

Re the punctures that seem quite common on the Born
I have picked up my new Born last week 19 Oct.
I queried as to why there was no tyre inflator / puncture repair kit with the car.
The person who did the handover told me that the tyres were pre filled with a solution and did not puncture hence no kit in the boot.
The tryes are 19 inch Bridgestone Taranz.
Has anyone heard of this before?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Do you have a V1 with 18" tyres orV2 with 19" tyres (presuming UK Spec)?

The reason I ask is thateven though you said 19", yours is the first time I've heard mention of 19" wheels coming with Bridgestone Turanza - to date I don't know anyone who's bought a Born on19" wheels that didn't get Continental Ecocontact 6 tyres. TheContis have a self sealing layerinside that is supposed to seal punctures,but won't seal on a sidewall or shoulder puncture (I have had a shoulder puncture). Punctures are common because the Continental tyres are so thin - might not be a problem with the Bridgestones,but the Bridgestones are pretty crap tyres for grip, noise, comfort, and they only come with 5.9mm of tread.

Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:01 pm ... to date I don't know anyone who's bought a Born on19" wheels that didn't get Continental Ecocontact 6 tyres.
My V1 on 19" wheels came with Goodyears.

It was one of the reason I didn't want the standard 18's, I hated the Bridgestones on my iD.3, hands down the worst tyre I've EVER had, including all of the Chinese ditch finders I've ever come across!
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-July 22 - VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys