Car arrived, 2 questions please

All CUPRA Born related discussions
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

Daveion wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:17 pm
alanjs wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:23 pm
RG22 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:14 pm the app is showing 11 km/h which seems a strange thing to measure charge in but at least it is working!
No, it's measured in Kw/h (Kilowatts per hour) and not in Km/h which would be Kilometers per hour and definitely would be strange!
The charge does show either in km/hr or M/hour.
That rate us typically taken from the car say covering 4 miles/kW.
It makes it an easy unit to relate to when looking at your charging rate.
7kW charger around 30mph
11kW around 45mph.
So for every hour on a 7 kW charger you put around 30 miles back in the range.
Wow!. Okay, I don't have the car yet so I haven't seen what you describe. I've just had a Zappi installed and it shows the charge in Kw/h.
So, if you are estimating 4Km per Kwh, and the charger is working at 11Kw/h, then the car display will show 4x11=44Km/h charge rate, right? How does the charger (or the car) know that you will get 4Km per Kwh? Is that just a guesstimate or is it based on previous driving patterns?
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I'm not sure if it's based on your most recent journey or maybe long term average. Sorry as well to keep mixing mph and kph up in examples.
Both my current Born and ID3 before it have a long term average performance of over 4 miles/kW.
The charging rates I gave as examples were in mph.
I would expect a kph rate to be close to 50kph on a home charger.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
RG22

Post by RG22 »

Thanks for the clarification Alanjs. I would rather see the figure as M/hour but I haven't been able to find an option to change that, even though the predicted range in the app is showing as miles. Do you know if there is an option please?
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

App/profile/settings/account/units.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

RG22 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:12 am Thanks for the clarification Alanjs. I would rather see the figure as M/hour but I haven't been able to find an option to change that, even though the predicted range in the app is showing as miles. Do you know if there is an option please?
I see daveion has answered your query. As my car hasn't arrived yet I can't dig into this any further.
Overall, though I think there are two different things being conflated here:
The charge rate (i.e. how quickly your battery is being recharged) is, to me anyway, measured in Kw/h and that is valuable as a measure of how long it will take before your battery reaches the charge limit that you set.
The estimated range available on your current charge status is also valuable for obvious reasons but is always going to be an estimate because of the variability of the actual usage.
It's like on my ICE car, I can see the amount of fuel left in the tank, and I can also get an estimate of how far that fuel will take me based on my current speed and driving conditions. Mind you, I never get to see my fuel tank filling rate in Liters/hour when I'm filling up!
Oh well, something else to get used to when the car arrives.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
RG22

Post by RG22 »

Thanks for your replies. I do have it set as miles but the charge rate is still km/h. Doesn't really matter as its 6.84 miles and as you say Alanjs, it's only an estimate. Cheers

Screenshot_20221009-152346_My CUPRA.jpg